Our plan was to pick up a car in Venice, drive the Dolomites and then drive to Austria. We are starting our Dolomites portion of the trip in July so we can take the lifts for hiking. They open late June. We were going to take two weeks driving the Dolomites and two weeks driving mountain areas in Austria (Zillertal, Grossglockner region, for instance) ending up in Salzburg and taking the train to Vienna for a few days. There are some places, like Hallstatt, to which we would take side trips by train. A major problem is that if we pickup a car in Italy and drive it into Austria then the drop off charges are exorbitant. We don't think we can be without a car in either the Dolomites or much of Austria because we will want to do some driving tours.
When I say fees are high, I got quoted $4000 plus $800 drop off fees for one month. I've leased a car before but the fees are still high because I am not picking up or dropping off the car in France.
So I am thinking of picking up in Venice and drop off maybe Bolzano or even drop off in Venice and fly to Salzburg and pick up and drop off car there.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Or has anyone done this?
One time we ended up dropping car up in Como, taking the train to Switzerland and picking up another car there.
Maria in Los Angeles
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AVG 1800:681:7208 installations contact Tec*h supp0rt ak47baba!
- 2 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 3 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 4 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 5 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 6 Which Area in London?
- 7 Barcelona to Malaga
- 8 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 9 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 10 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 11 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 12 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 13 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 16 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 17 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 18 Paris November 2017
- 19 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 20 Ravenna and Mexico City...who knew?
- 21 Christmas day lunch in prague
- 22 Transportation in Brittany
- 23 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 24 Trains - website?
- 25 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
How can I combine Austria and the Dolomites in Italy by car?