How best to get to Bellagio?

Apr 11th, 2000, 04:44 AM
francesca

How best to get to Bellagio?

We are planning a long weekend in Bellagio, planning to stay at the Hotel Belvedere, but how best to get there? Fly to Milan, then bus from Malpensa, then bus to Bellagio (as the hotel suggests)? Train from Milan to Varrena, then boat? Rent a car in Milan and drive? Does one really *need* a car in this area if one's goal is to RELAX and just enjoy the views? We are planning to stay 4 days. Any info on the town, restaurants to visit, the hotel, etc is also welcome. Thanks.

Apr 11th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Sally

Train from Milan to Varenna is very easy, then get on the ferry to Bellagio, it takes 10 minutes. However, Varenna is lovely, not nearly as hectic, trafficky, and touristy as Bellagio. We stayed at Albergo Olivedo in Varenna, lovely, delicious food, a balcony view of the mountains in one direction and the lake in the other.It is right by the ferry, so you can go anywhere on the lake very easily.I think there is a website.

Apr 11th, 2000, 08:25 AM
John

I second the train idea. HOwever, I would see if there is a ferry from the town of Como to bellagio. I think there is. It will take a lot longer, but you will get a wonderful view of the lake and the sights on the way to Bellagio. You can take the train from Milan to Como (30 minutes).

Apr 11th, 2000, 09:30 AM
elvira

Since taking the bus from Malpensa to Milan, then the train to Varenna or Como to pick up the ferry is backtracking, I'd be curious to know what route the hotel is suggesting.

Apr 11th, 2000, 09:58 AM
Jeanie

We found that the easiest way was to take the train from Milan to Varenna and then the boat from Varenna to Bellagio. It is a little bit of a downhill walk from the Varenna train station to the pier, but it is such a cute town that you won't mind at all. Enjoy yourself! I loved Bellagio and would go back in a heartbeat.

Apr 11th, 2000, 09:50 PM
Holly

Maybe the hotel meant bus from Malpensa to Como (I don't know if there is one or not) & then bus to Bellagio. If there is a bus from the airport to Como, then I would recommend the boat up to Bellagio for 2 reasons: that bus ride was by far the scariest ride I've ever been on, & the boat ride is just beautiful. If you don't want to take the 2-hour "normale" ride, then you can take the "rapido" hydro-foil, which is something like 45 minutes.

Apr 11th, 2000, 10:30 PM
deepa

Francesca, We visited Bellagio about 2 years ago. We were travelling from Florence. WE took a train to Como and then a bus from the train station to Bellagio. These are small buses that start from just outside the train station. I think it took about 30-40 minutes in the bus. The bus gets you right to the main centre of town but the Belvedere is perched a bit on top of the hill. But on reaching BEllagio, we called the hotel and within minutes they sent a car to pick us up. But taxis are availbale as well and not too expenseive since the actually driving time to the hotel is probabbly 3-4 minutes or so.

Apr 12th, 2000, 03:58 AM
Deborah

There is a coach service starting at Malpensa that goes directly to Como, terminating in the square in front of the ferry and hydrofoil wharves. The ferry trip up the lake is THE way to approach Bellagio. With regard to the coach timetable, there are frequent departures, especially Monday to Saturday, & you can buy your tickets as you enter the coach.

May 3rd, 2000, 07:49 PM
Julie

We stayed 3 nights last June at the Hotel Belvedere and loved it. We ate 2 dinners there in the dining room and the food was very good. We had rented a car as we were driving around Italy for 3 weeks. However, once we checked into our hotel in Bellagio, we did not drive it once in those 3 days. We walked or took the ferries to neighboring towns. Be sure to see the Villa Carlotta over near Tremezzo. The Villa was about a 5 minute walk from the ferry. It was so relaxing to be in Bellagio as it was the end of our trip. It was nice to kick back and walk or take the ferry.

May 6th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Bob

We had a car on our trip to Bellagio in October and also stayed at the Belvedere hotel. Try to get a room on the 1st floor, the US second floor. These rooms have large balconies that you can use in the evening to sit and enjoy wine and the lake. The other higher rooms do not have these nice balconies. If you do drive from Como you have two choices. One way is to go direct up the east side of the lake and into Bellagio. The other is to do the west side of the lake and then ferry over to Bellagio. I highly recommend the west side and ferry. The east side is not a fun drive at all and will take you longer. If you do not have a car, just do the ferry from Como. That would be the most scenic. We avoid busses, so I cannot answer that one. I concur on Carlotta tour. Very nice. We also did a day trip over to Lugano and enjoyed that town.

May 6th, 2000, 12:08 PM
mariana

Last Oct. we flew in to Malpensa, took bus to Milan Centrale Station...spent the night in the nearby Atlantic Hotel and spent 1/2 day downtown Milan seeing the Duomo area.(took metro from central station to downtown), Left the next morning from Central Station on train to city of Como. 1 hr. Spent the night and next day took the hydrofoil to Bellagio (45 min)...Lovely, fast trip, and beautiful views of the lakeside Italian villages (and villas).
The regular ferry boat takes about 2 hrs I believe. Bellagio is wonderful, and a boat pass takes you in 10 minutes to most of the surrounding villages.
Some people do take the train from Milan to Varenna, as suggested above and that would be wonderful also. It is a beautiful hillside village. Just be sure to take an early morning train from Milan....our friends got in trouble because of a train strike in Milan and couldn't leave until late afternoon. They arrived late in Varenna and missed the last boat to Bellagio. Finally secured a room in Varenna after dark, and woke up to a BEAUTIFUL sunrise and day over Lake Como.