Reload this Page >

How Bad the Crime in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Jim

We will be spending three nites in Barcelona, prior to boarding a cruise and I am quite concerned with all the postings about crime. How bad is it? Am I safe to walk around with an expensive camera? Can my wife wear her diamond rings? Are there areas to avoid? Is it safe to attend a soccer game or a bullfight? I would like some good advice from people that have been there, recently. Thank you.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:45 AM
sarah

Hi Jim <BR>We visited in August and after reading some of the postings here, we were a little concerned! Firstly I have to say we witnessed no crime or attempted crime. However- there were several areas in which we felt unsafe after dark,so we tended to avoid them. These areas tended to be mainly in the barrio Chino/El Raval areas. We were also offered drugs in the Placa Reial!! Although this place is fantastic during the day-it seems a bit sinister at night! All in all I didn't really act any differently here than I would have in any other large city. Using common sense (and keeping valuables out of view!) seemed to be enough! I am sure you will have a great visit!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:17 AM
james

It is bad - I've been burgled, pickpocketed and mugged. But it is a great city to visit. Don't go down dark streets late at night, avoid the Ramblas area at night, and don't show off flashy cameras, jewellry etc. Same in any city really.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:37 PM
John

I agree wholeheartedly with both Sarah's and James' advice regarding keeping valuables out of sight and exercising caution like you would in any large city. However, I have visited Barcelona twice (two days the first time -- which was far too brief -- and four days the second time) and I never felt unsafe. That said, I did not wander into El Raval at night, but did enjoy strolling along the Ramblas in the evening. Just exercise basic common sense and you'll love Barcelona.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Mel

I was in Barcelona this time last summer and I only felt in danger at night just like you would any place in the US. However, I did see a lot of drug use their....We were walking buy and a guy was just sitting on a bridge with a heroine needle sticking out of his leg. Pretty freaky for me.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Tom Morse

Buy a couple of those shoulder pouches you wear under a shirt. They're like $10 at Wal-mart. I wore mine so the pouch was below my arm-pit with my arm keeping it snug most of the time. You're better off if they can't see anything. Keep a couple of dollars in your front pocket for postcards outside sites. Don't let the postcard sellers see you reaching into where your main stash of money is, cause they tell their kids and wives who pick you later. Be very careful at public atm's. You're always being watched. I exchanged my money at the u.s. airport before the flight so as not to get scoped out later. Also, the cruise ship will exchange Spanish pasetas for u.s. dollars. Rates are higher, but getting robbed costs a lot more. Beware of overly friendly strangers or anyone asking for directions. Many thiefs are dressing like tourists with sneakers and fanny packs and cameras. Chances of getting robbed go way up inside the popular cathedrals or tourist sites where there are crowds of people busy gawking at things. If you look really alert and make eye contact with suspicious persons, they seem to prey on others. Try not to walk around alone. <BR>Save the rings to wear on the cruise ship. We just took disposable cameras and the pictures turned out great. <BR>If your cruise is on Renaissance, the ships are wonderful. I was especially impressed with how nice the crew was to everyone. Always a hello and a smile. <BR>The ships have safes in each room, which came in handy. <BR>Make copies of your passports and keep them in the arm pouch. The ship keeps all passenger's passports until the disembarking on the last day. <BR>Spain is great, but it's no place to flaunt wealth. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:47 AM
Tammy

Been to Barcelona three times. I would never wear my wedding ring there or carry a very expensive camera about. Take a point & shoot you don't care about losing and leave the ring home. <BR>Barcelona crime happens plenty in the daylight too as I know well.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Worried Sick

It is very bad. Please search this forum for a note titles "WARNING DO NOT GO TO SPAIN" for details taken directly from the London Times on the HIGH crime problems, the DANGER of even walking down the street, the RISK of physical attack (not just pickpockets), the USE of KNIVES by the thiefs, and the LACK of police response. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!