Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How bad is driving in Scandinavia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-bad-is-driving-in-scandinavia-82423/)

C O'Flan Aug 10th, 2000 04:06 AM

How bad is driving in Scandinavia?

Hi <BR>I need advice on driving in Scandinavia in the winter months. Should a driver who has only normal driving experience even attempt this? Are most roads closed due to conditions and for how long? <BR> <BR>I will be arriving in Stockholm and drive to first Oslo then to Malmo and finally Copenhagen. <BR> <BR>Also I know that in Europe it is common to drive cars with standard transmission. Is it at all possible to hire an AWD car with automatic transmission? <BR> <BR>Fianlly what about the wildlife, are the risks of finding wild animals in the middle of the roads? <BR> <BR>Sorry about all the questions. You're help is greatly appreciated. ThankYou <BR>

chuck Aug 10th, 2000 05:02 AM

Europeans got a lot more to learn about driving, we in the US have the best roads and divers on earth

Joan Doyle Aug 10th, 2000 04:25 PM

Dear C O'Flan: I can't speak about driving in Sweden or Norway at any time of year because I've not done it; but I HAVE driven in Denmark (and even took the ferry from Fyn back to Copenhagen)right after New Years one year. It was a piece of cake: really good roads, no snow, a grey day, granted but no glare either. I really don't think you have much to worry about. Have a good trip. Joan

anna Aug 12th, 2000 08:47 PM

Can't speak for the roads in Sweden or Norway either but the roads in Denmark were excellent, and I am told that winters tend to be more wet than snowy there. I STRONGLY recommend you learn to drive a stick shift car before going. Automatics are very uncommon, very expensive, and they use more gas, which was running about a dollar a LITER there two years ago. We had reserved an automatic transmission car and confirmed it twice by e-mail only to arrive and find out that it was the ONLY automatic car the rental agent owned and it broke down the night before we arrived. I had to learn to drive stick in an hour, in spite of sleep deprivation, jet-lag, and three cranky kids in the back seat, but I managed to do it. I recommend, however, that you do it at home before you leave, under better conditions. Have a nice trip.

ughIhate Aug 13th, 2000 04:09 PM

Why don't you join your alterego, Rocco, in Germany? <BR> <BR>Yes, Chuck, the U.S. has some of the best divers in the world. Watch the Summer Olympics to see them compete.

sigurd endresen Aug 13th, 2000 04:39 PM

<BR>Here is how it is. <BR>I am from norway and have driven these roads many times. <BR> <BR> <BR>The rout you are going has pretty good roads. Depending on when you are going the roads are usally snow free, they are snow free untill december. Yes there is a risk of wild animals on the road,but you have signs warning when you are driving into an area where the the risk is high. <BR>Yes you can rent a car with AWD. <BR> <BR>Hope this will help you, and that you have a nice trip. <BR> <BR> Regards <BR> sigurd

Bjorn Alvik Nov 3rd, 2000 05:10 AM

Hi <BR>I'm also Norwegian, and I agree with Sigurd. No problem. <BR>But do NOT listen to those who know Danish winter driving. As soon as you are north of Goethenburg, you may have winter, meaning winter. <BR>Don't be afraid of automatics, but take care what tires concern. In Norway special wintertires are used (with 'nails', sorry I don't know the English word), and on hired cars you will get that. Take care in the curves, they may be icy, and do not overestimate your ability to stop. <BR>Have a great winter, preferably in Norway. <BR>Bjorn

Al Godon Nov 3rd, 2000 05:37 AM

Tires are vital where mountain and/or winter driving is concerned. Those nails referred to by Bjorn are called studs. <BR>Any road in northern Europe can become impossible if glare ice develops. I have <BR>seen such conditions -- I think the Germans call it das Glatteis. <BR>

Mattias Nov 3rd, 2000 10:20 PM

HI i´m from sweden and i can confirm what the norwegen authors wrote. <BR>If you rent a car in stockholm you can rent whatever car you like and we have laws for the nails on the tires. <BR>You travel very cheap if you travel by bus i sweden and maybe safer if you have doubts on you skills..but its fun to slide around =). <BR>best regards mattias

t Nov 4th, 2000 10:08 PM

t

AnyoneButChuck Nov 4th, 2000 10:37 PM

Chuck - we certainly have great roads here in the US. But our drivers are possibly the worst in the world. Try to be a bit more sensitive in your posts. <BR> <BR>US drivers tend to drive massive cars (that maim on impact); yak on cell phones; run red lights; and have no clue about complex road systems, which tend to be the norm in Europe. You have to be a great driver to figure out how to get around on roads that don't conform to the convenient 'grid' pattern that blights America.

Angela Nov 4th, 2000 11:39 PM

Chuck <BR>"we in the US have the best roads and divers on earth" <BR>Oh dear sorry to hear that - are your roads also flooded? We are also having flooding in the UK but thankfully have not at the point yet that we need divers to be able to use them. I am sorry for you in this situation and feel some empathy.

Angela Nov 4th, 2000 11:42 PM

for "have" read "are".

Kaja Nov 6th, 2000 02:33 AM

Hi, <BR>I'm norwegian too, and I agree with the other norwegians who posted here. <BR>I just wanted to add that the main roads in the area where you will be traveling is salted in the winter. This means that the roads don't get that icy, they get wet instead. <BR>By the way, the roads you will travel never close in the winter! <BR>Have a nice trip, <BR>Kaja