Reload this Page >

How bad are the Rome sidewalks/streets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Matt

I've been to many European cities with my family, strolling our kids in the stroller all day, but I have recently heard that the sidewalks/streets in Rome are terrible. Is this correct? What is your assessment?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:58 AM
Pauline

I know this is most likely a stupid question. What do you mean by 'terrible"?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:19 AM
Matt

By terrible, I mean that to walk with a stroller during the course of a day would be a headache. Are the sidewalks constantly bumpy or just a little bumpy, or are they normal and paved? It is a serious question.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:33 AM
Ruth

There's a whole mixture, paved, cobbles, etc. But one problem you may find is that on narrow streets cars park right up to the wall, leaving no room for the stroller.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:37 AM
Pauline

Matt,<BR>I was in Rome for 4 days last May. I did a lot of walking and honestly, don't recall the foot paths as being bumpy. I walked from my hotel (Atlantico on via Cavour) to Piazza della Repubblica, to Trevi Fountain, to the Spanish Steps, to the Emmanuel 11 monument, to the Forum & the Coleseum.<BR>Where I went, I didn't notice uneven pavement,

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:57 AM
Helen

Matt, actually it depends on where you are walking - eg. between the Spanish steps and Trevi, the sidewalks are very narrow, and the streets busy - but some other places like around Piazza Navonna, there are wider sidewalks. Any way, I would not be put off by that - the locals are moving around with strollers!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:12 AM
Matt

Thanks for your replies. What was I thinking, that Romans don't walk with their children in strollers. These replies were very informative though with good specifics. Any more would be appreciated. I will probably ask more questions as the day of our departure draws nearer. We will be going at the end of May, I heard the weather was good then.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:15 AM
Byrd

Hi Matt-<BR><BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:21 AM
Byrd

Hi Matt,<BR>We were in Rome last week and saw many many strollers and lots of children, many of them dressed in costumes for Carnival. We stayed near the Piazza Navona which seemed to be a real family place (without the summer tourists!)By the way, the weather was wonderful--most days, not even a sweater needed, and no rain.<BR>Byrd<BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:23 AM
KenW

I wouldn't say the roads are in bad condition, but I don't think Rome lends itself to easy transit with a stroller. Many of the narrow roads are barely wider than the cars, and crossing the busy streets is an adventure.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:49 AM
kelly

Rome was so busy when we were there that at times you had to walk IN the street as there were people spilling over from the sidewalk.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:31 AM
ellen

There are lots cobblestoned streets in Rome, and not the cobblestone that we see here. They are only about three inches square. I had to roll my suitcase over them for a while and it was pretty bumpy.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:54 AM
Ginger

dog poop

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:04 PM
John

Vespas!!!! 1,000's of them.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 01:37 PM
RG

We were in Rome in December with our 15 month old daughter. We pushed her stroller everywhere in Rome (except where not allowed or not possible, e.g. inside St. Peter's, the museums, etc. and the Roman Forum - where it is very difficult to use). I don't think that the sidewalks and streets posed any particular challenges. I have 2 suggestions:<BR><BR>1. Take a stroller with big wheels. That will make your life a lot easier. And little $15 umbrella strollers don't qualify.<BR><BR>2. Take a child carrier backpack if you have one. It was extremely useful in a lot of places.<BR><BR>And, Italians are very nice and exremely helpful with warming up baby bottles and baby food.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:31 PM
mt

The sidewalks are narrow to non-existent. If your expecting Paris boulevard width sidewalks you'll be in for a big surprise. Cars, vespas and pedestrians mix everywhere except on the major roads.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:16 PM
Linda

I was married in Rome in Sept of 1999 and we walked everwhere...I think the streets and sidewalks were fine...just watch the mopeds!! They are pretty good about people crossing the streets...You will be fine...My girlfriend wwent to Venice with a baby and did fine...Everything was up and down up and down...that I think would be the challage...not Rome...enjoy!! We loved it!!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:37 PM
Monica

Matt: Be very picky about the stroller you're taking. Most american strollers can't take the abuse that Europe hands out. During my recent trip to London I had my McLaren umbrella stroller, and that's what all the locals had. That thing took the abuse and then some, handled bumpy streets and folded up small so we could hike up and down stairs (there's very little handicapped access). The place you can get that brand waaaay cheaper than Right Start is www.dmartstores.com.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:46 PM
Matt

I hope RG looks at this post again. Question for you RG, What did you do about the places that didn't allow a stroller? Was there a safe place to leave your stroller? Did you let your child walk, did you carry her/him, did you put her/him in a child backpack?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:47 AM
Matt

Topping, hoping RG answers my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -