How are the tulips doing in Holland?

Feb 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

How are the tulips doing in Holland?

I've been watching the weather and it appears to have been a warm February for The Netherlands. Does anyone out there know of a website that announces when the tulips will be out? I'm heading there in late April and I'm afraid I will be too late if the weather stays warm.
Feb 28th, 2007, 12:34 AM

At the moment we have daffodils, crocusses and snowdrops, all out all being battered by the wind and rain. I haven't seen signs of tulips yet though there is a rhododendron in flower in a neighbours garden. A few days of sunshine may change things, but no sign of any sun for the coming few days sadly.
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:32 AM

Late April will be great, no problem.
No tulips yet it will take while.
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM

I'm so glad to hear this news also! We were in Paris last week and tulips were blooming there.

We'll also be in Holland and hope to ride through the tulip fields the 3rd week in April!
Mar 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM

We'll also be in the Netherlands mid- to late-April. My Dutch mother-in-law said she just spoke to her sister-in-law and the daffodils are blooming now and the tulips should be great for when we're there. Can't wait!
Mar 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I arrive April 28. I hope I won't be too late. How long do they bloom?
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM

Usually the best weeks are end of april and 1st week of May.
I think you will be just in time.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:13 AM

luvtotravel; you'll be there for Queen's day on April 30 then! Will you be in Amsterdam?
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM

We'll be in Amsterdam for Queen's Day!
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:33 AM
ComfyShoes

Completely aside from the topic, here is a bit of trivia! Did you guys know the dutch tulips constituted the first ever heavily traded commodity on a "stock market" (it wasn't called so then)?

Cut/paste: In mid-1500s, Conrad Guestner brought the first tulip bulbs from Constantinople to Holland and Germany, and people fell in love with them. Soon tulip bulbs became a status symbol for the wealthy ó because they were beautiful and hard to get. Although early buyers were people who truly prized the lovely flowers, later buyers were merely in for the money, and it didnít take long for speculators to get involved. They created trading activity, and eventually, tulip bulbs were placed onto the local market exchanges. By 1634, the rage for owning tulips had spread to the middle classes of Dutch society.

Interesting, no? Have fun in Netherlands.

Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:34 AM

Further tulip trivia.
Canada and Holland have had a special relationship. Canada was a haven for the exiled Dutch royal family during the war and, in fact, Princess Margriet was born in Ottawa Civic hospital. Canada designated a certain area as "Dutch territory" so she would be born in Holland.
For that and the part in the liberation of Holland by Canadian troops, Holland gave a gift of 100,000 tulip bulbs. These are the basis of the world's largest tulip festival held in Ottawa Canada, celebrated annually at the beginning of May.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM

We'll be in Amsterdam Apr 11-16. Can we buy bulbs and take them back to the US?

Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM

Yes you can buy bulbs to take home. Offically you can only bring those with a healthcertificate.
April is not really the best time to buy, since most of them are underground waiting to bloom
Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM

One of the times that we were in the Netherlands during April, I purchased a bunch of bulbs and they mailed them to me in the states during September/October, when they're ready to go into the ground.

I had forgotten that I purchased them until they arrived one day in the mail. I also sent an order of bulbs to my sister-in-law as an early Christmas present. She sure was surprised to get them, since I had forgotten to tell her (although she figured it who sent them to her). Peace, Robyn >-
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Tulips -- Yes, I will be in Amsterdam for Queen's Day. I understand it will be quite an experience. I'm staying near the Anne Frank House for five nights. This will be my third time to Amsterdam -- the first time was in 1979 and then again in 1996. My main reason for going this year (other than I enjoy the city) is to see the tulips. It's one of those things on my list of "Things I Want To Do Before I Die."
Diane
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM

I was very lucky one year in Amsterdam on a business trip.

I had a Saturday afternoon flight to the states. I was up early, so I went to the town of Edam before going to the Keukenhof Gardens. http://www.keukenhof.nl/

I took all back roads to the Keukenhof. There were 10-15 miles of tulips, all lined up in the fields. Perfectly aligned in colors. How the fields stay so pure in colors is beyond me.

Afterwards, heading to the motorway to the airport I (literally) passed 5-7 miles of tour buses and cars, all at a dead stop heading to the Keukenhof.

Don't take the front way, go to Edam and take the back way and you'll have a wonderful experience. I still have the photos of the tulips in the fields.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM

Thanks so much for the road tip. We are going to Aalsmeer for the flower action, in the early morning, then going to Keukenhof Gardens from there. I just used viaMichelin to map a bike route to find side roads between the two even though we'll be driving. Hope this saves us time.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM

We went to Aalsmeer, to the flower auction, but didn't get a chance to see the actual auction - got there a little too late. I know they are held early in the morning, only on certain days. Having gone to a lot of American auctions, I was looking forward to the Dutch auction, where they start high and bid low. Although I believe the auctioning is done in Dutch, so I probably wouldn't have understood what was going on.

Anyway, the facility itself is spectacular. The size of it, the colors, and the smells. It was fascinating standing on the catwalk, overlooking the distribution floor beneath, watching all those carts scooting everywhich way, laden with all types of flowers and plants...and they never collide with each other! You'll have a great time. Peace, Robyn >-
Mar 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Just looking for an update. It's been rather warm in Holland over the past six weeks. I arrive in Amsterdam on April 28. Will I be late? Just in time? Are people "tiptoeing through the tulips" now?
Mar 15th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Not yet! Mostly crocusses (english??), snowdrops and daffodils.
But it is rather hot for the time of year. So most plants and flowers are groing a little faster. But april should still be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO