Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How about velcro or safety pin pockets against pickpockets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-about-velcro-or-safety-pin-pockets-against-pickpockets-295320/)

MiteMsispe Mar 7th, 2003 08:45 AM

How about velcro or safety pin pockets against pickpockets?

Message: I have thought about sewing velcro strips or safety pinning a front pants pocket in an attempt to ease my mind against the ever present (apparently)menace of roving pickpockets. I purchased an under-clothes money belt last year, but did not like it. Has the nervousness about thieves made me a bit looney or do these ideas have merit? Tim

Ann1 Mar 7th, 2003 08:52 AM

Many of the travel catalogs have a pocket that has a tab. You slip the tab through your belt and flip it inside your pants. The material is rough on your body side so it can't be pulled out easily. They can't pick your pocket because you'd definately feel them going down your pants. And the wallet is in the zipped pocket. We keep a little change in my purse and my husband uses the pouch. We don't have to go into that often.

MiteMsispe Mar 7th, 2003 08:59 AM

Ann1,<BR> I believe that I saw just such an item yesterday, but I did not realize that it was designed to be worn inside ones pants. I'll give it a second look. Thanks Ann. Tim

Rick Mar 7th, 2003 10:19 AM

I've worn one every day for a month and forget that it's there.<BR><BR>Rick

MiteMsispe Mar 7th, 2003 01:28 PM

Ann,<BR> Just bought two security pockets for our European trip. Thanks for the info. Velcro... what was I thinking? Tim

jor Mar 7th, 2003 01:56 PM

Looks like Fodors didn't like my post. So here it is again.<BR><BR>On my first trip to Europe my Mom sewed pockets on the inside of my underwear. It worked great. The valueables in this pocket (passport, money) were not stolen when my pants was stolen in Munich. Valuables not in Pants. How simple is that?

Wendy Mar 7th, 2003 02:05 PM

I have to ask jor, how were your pants stollen? And were you in them at the time???<BR><BR>:) Wendy

jor Mar 7th, 2003 02:28 PM

Wendy, It was at a camp site in Munich during Oktoberfest. It had been raining for five days and everyone was having a hard time keeping their cloths dry. I got back into the camp after a late night at Oktoberfest wearing my Dry pants and crawled into the tent. I woke up without my pants. I still had my underwear on, which had my passport and other valuables in it. True story. Hence forget the pants, keep it in your underwear.

Ann1 Mar 7th, 2003 02:53 PM

Jor, you must keep your parents life interesting. I thought I was a good sleeper.

Danna Mar 7th, 2003 06:01 PM

Jor... yours is the tale that truly shows that all travelers should listen to their mothers! And count on their sewing! My mom lengthened the inside pocket in my travel blazer so it would fit our tickets. The zippered compartments usually fit passports, but not tickets. She's a great mom. As the mom of a traveler you made my day ( see didn't I tell you? ) :)!

Wayne Mar 8th, 2003 07:10 AM

There are slacks for both men and women, usually called &quot;cargo pants,&quot; that normally have lots of pockets down the sides, with velcro-sealed flaps on most or all of them. I have always tried to travel in tight places (subways, museum queues, train stations, etc.) wearing these types of pants. Some time ago on this forum, I also advised using a heavy safety pin to seal an important pocket. I have done that as well. <BR><BR>Of course, I never had my pockets picked before doing these things, and I have certainly not had them picked since. So I don't know if what I did has helped at all, but I'll keep doing it. Personally, the idea of sewing stuff inside one's underwear is a turn-off for me; but to each his own.<BR><BR>The travel pocket worn inside one's trousers with a loop for the belt is also effective. As with some of the other posters, I usually carry some small amount of money in an accessible pocket (velcro flapped) but keep my important money and/or papers in a travel pocket or safety pinned in my pants.<BR><BR>Much of your safety from pickpockets will come from simply being careful about your surroundings. Be especially careful when people are jostling against you as they might do in a crowded train. I usually just wait until I can find a less crowded area. Good luck.