Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How about the size of my car in Provence ?

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:17 AM
MC

While reading a post yesterday, I got a bit concern about the size of the car I was thinking of renting for my upcoming trip, there will be four of us: Ford Focus "Ambiante" (it is supposed to be the station wagon version of the F. Focus).

Do you think we'll have trouble in the streets of the Provence and the Luberon regions ??
Thanks

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:25 AM
J T Kirk

I've nearly always rented a "smaller" car in Europe, mainly because that's all they seem to rent there. (I did recently have a full size SUV in England. Pretty cool.) Anyway, I think the station wagon won't be too cumbersome on the back streets. I was in Provence last year and drove everywhere in a Ford something-or-other (it seated 4) with no problems

Some of the streets can get a bit narrow, but can handle most cars.

To me the biggest question would be whether the car can handle four people AND four peoples' luggage. I've had some problems with that in the past when I've gotten a small car. The people in the backseat have had to carry some bags in their laps until we got to the hotel.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Capo

Hi MC. By trouble, do you mean you're concerned about negotiating narrow streets? I don't how big the Ambiante is, but I'd guess it's smaller than a Renault Megane Scenic van we had in Provence a few years ago. The only place we had any kind of a problem with it was in some of the super-narrow streets in the heart of Arles so my guess is that you'll be fine.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Google

Size doesn't matter....oops sorry got carried away, I have been getting too excited reading the "sex and culture" message.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:57 AM
MC

Thank you, J.T.Kirk and Capo for your quick answers...
Yes, you really understood what I meant by "trouble" = difficulty to drive in narrow streets !

I've been told that the Ford Focus Ambiante is like a station wagon.

Jun 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Andre

MC,

Don't worry! A Ford Focus wagon is quite compact - it's the absolute smallest car I would take for 4 people (I would actually go for a full size like a Ford Mondeo).

Regarding dents & scratches, I've never had trouble with narrow streets in France, but badly designed parking garages are another story...

Anyway, get CDW with no deductible. That makes it a non-issue.

Bon voyage!
Andre

Jun 13th, 2002, 01:54 PM
John Burkus

I would not go with a wagon unless you will not be leaving any luggage in the car while you are out and about. "Exposed" luggage is bad news anywhere!
John B.

Jun 13th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Arlene

Did anyone else hold their breath driving upthe narrow winding road to Rousillon? Thank G-d there wasn't another car in sight. \On the way down, I honked at every curve. It was impossible to see beyond and my little Mercedes took up more than half the road. To me it really was a LITTLE Mercedes, but the parking attendant told me I had a BIG car!!

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:28 PM
MC

Thank you John for the concern, but usually those cars (F.Focus station) have a kind of roollup platform that you can unfold to hide what is in the luggage compartment (I hope you undestood my explanation?).

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Capo

You're welcome, MC. I suspect the version of a station wagon you'll be renting will be be somewhat-to-much smaller than a typical station wagon in the U.S. That was the case with our Renault minivan. It was quite a bit smaller than most minivans one would find in the U.S.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Capo

Arlene, I've driven up to Rousillon twice and, although I remember it winding, guess it didn't seem all that narrow to me. A road that does seem very narrow and winding to me is the road up to Peillon, a perched village in the hills behind Nice.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:33 PM
John Burkus

I know about the cover that you can pull over the luggage. My guess is that with four adults and a relatively small wagon you will have far more luggage than can be covered.

Without getting into the road I took is narrower than yours (but doing so anyway), the road to Roussillon is a four lane super highway when compared to,say, those at the Gorges du Verdon or the drive South from Annecy through Gap and Digne. You must have had a really b-i-g car by local standards!!
John B.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Arlene

When I complained to the guy in the parking lot at Rousillon, that's exactly what he said..that I had a big car. I found that the parking spaces in the lots were very narrow also. I guess I just like my space!

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Capo

John, I've never driven south from Annecy but I drove around the Gorges du Verdon a few years ago so I know what you mean by that. I've heard the road through the Gorges du Tarn is also quite narrow.

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:37 PM
David

MC:
Although the roads I described are narrow, I don't think the car you're geting will be a problem. If i recall the speed limits are something like 50-70kmh (about 30-40mph). There were all type of cars out there; naturally, driving in a new area causes you to be super attentive anyway so I think you should have no problems. You will notice that all the directions make reference to the next town you come to; so you should know what towns are on your route and PAY ATTENTION to all the signs when you come to all the traffic circles which are used insead of lights. Throw in a manual transmission and you are guaranteed to have a fun day!!! ;-)