Housing in London 7/4-7/13

Feb 2nd, 2012, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Housing in London 7/4-7/13

I plan on being in London from 7/4-7/13 and am researching housing options.

I am looking at several sites on VRBO and Homeaway and I am getting quotes of around $1,500. I would rather go a little cheaper (closer to $1,000-$1,250) if I can for nine nights.

Nightlife isn't important. We're an "early to bed, early to rise" couple. We are not planning on renting a car, so proximity to transportation is important.

I've stayed as far out as the docklands before (Novotel) and was not put off by the 30 minute ride to Tower Gateway.

Any suggestions? I'm considering priceline. Anyone go that route before and have a bidding zone strategy to suggest?

Of course, the trade off with a hotel is that we would have to eat out most meals raising the overall cost of the trip.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:28 AM

Look at Nell Gwynn House on Sloane Avenue, Nice size apts.with concierge services and an excellent location .
Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM

$1000 is only about £90 a night - that is fairly low for a London flat. Not impossible-- but not all that common. $1500 for nine nights is actually pretty good. Plus you are going at a very busy time. I am looking for a flat myself for a visit in June and most of my regular sources are long booked up.

"We are not planning on renting a car, so proximity to transportation is important."

99% of London visitors don't rent cars and 95% of neighborhoods are convenient to transport, so that isn't a factor/problem.

"I'm considering priceline. Anyone go that route before and have a bidding zone strategy to suggest?"

Priceline is difficult for such a long stay. You're unlikely to win a 9-day stay at any sort of reasonable bid. A hotel may have 2 or 3 nights available, be sold out one night and then have more availability. Your bid would be rejected and you'd have no idea why . . . too low, no availability,or just that a couple of the nights would cost more.

So you'd have to break your stay into 3 or maybe even 4 different bits and bid them separately. There'd be the possibility of getting some days and not others, or having to move hotels a couple of times.

So check Nell Gwynn House as suggested, and maybe consider upping your budget just a bit.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:34 AM

Gee -I just looked up Nell Gwynn House and their rates have gone up quite a LOT. Even their smallest studios will be over $1500 for your 9 nights.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM

. . . . Or just barely under $1500 if they'd give you the two-week nightly rate for a 9-night booking.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM

JerLon - I dont have much info on this but have you considered looking at universities etc in London to see if they rent housing during the summer months? I seem to remember someone ,PatrickLondon maybe, having some info on that so maybe do a search?
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, Nell Gwynn seemed a bit high for a low cost option. I had considered Priceline but the length would make it difficult.

I've contacted several apartments on tripadvisors vacation rental page that seem a bit more promising.

I've also decided to do the same for the Rome leg of the trip and see if I can't get that cost down a bit in order to increase the budget for London.

Once I have it narrowed down to a few, I'll ask for advice.

And, certainly, if anyone has rented a reasonable priced flat, let me know.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM

This thread might be of help:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tral-accom.cfm
Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
mjs

$1000 for night nights is around 72 pounds a night which would be quite low for London in July.
Check out University halls which will be available in July as the prices might be reasonable. Many of the University of London halls are self catering so there are kitchen facilities although I do not think they come with much n the way of pots/pans dishes etc.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:55 AM

Try www.lsevacations.co.uk
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

I am considering this apartment:

http://www.flipkey.com/london-condo-rentals/p240703/

It seemed to be the best mix of price/location.

Any strong thoughts?
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:22 AM

Well that looks to be basically in Brick Lane. I wouldnt particularly want to stay in that area. Brick Lane itself is a very busy street completely covered in curry houses, many with touts that bug you to come eat in their restaurant by offering you 'deals' so I defintiely wouldnt stay on that street. The area around it is what I would call 'gritty' and you may not be comfortable walking around after dark.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:24 AM

I should say that if you are used to gritty areas you may be fine...but if I think about some of my family that are not used to big cities/gritty areas I dont think they would be comforatble without me being with them guiding them around.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM

Sorry, one more thing - why dont you get the postal code/address from the landlord and google map it to see how you feel about the neighbourhood...
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:27 AM

actually if you google Brick Lane and open the google map you can go to the street view and 'walk' around the neighbourhood.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

I'm clearly new at this and appreciate all of your advice jamikins. I have requested the address so I can use street view to check it out.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:30 AM

No worries. Thats what we are here for
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

How about these? I know a couple are a little further out but they do make it more in my price range.

http://www.thelondonagent.com/Bijoux...Short-Term-Let

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p77717

http://www.vrbo.com/279014

http://www.vrbo.com/261220
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:43 AM

Of all of those I think the Hoxton one is the best - the others are quite a commute in (Kingston is where my hubby works and its a nice area, but will require a long commute in and out to see anything.) Same for West Finchley and Bromley.

Hoxton is what some call 'hopelessly trendy' and has a young almost punk vibe from what I have seen. Its not the best connected, looks like you would be relying on buses to get to Angel tube station which is on the Northern Line but you would likely need to change to other lines to get around - not a huge deal, but waiting for the bus at night on your way home may bother you. The area around Angel is quite trendy and there are lots of places to eat - great vibe where lots of young professionals live.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:45 AM

Oh meant to add - another area a bit farther out that you might want to look at is Hampstead or Highgate. They are farther out, but have a really nice villagey feel to them and are connected to the tube network so accessibility is easy as long as you are walking distance to the tube. Also lots of restaurants and pubs to entertain you at night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO