Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotwire.com Is it safe???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotwire-com-is-it-safe-692923/)

Lordy Apr 1st, 2007 05:16 AM

Hotwire.com Is it safe????

Hi there,
I have just discovered this site and am wondering what experiences people may have had????
We are from Australia and are wondering whether the process is safe and above board.
Thanks
Donna

Dukey Apr 1st, 2007 05:21 AM

My several experiences with Hotwire have been totally satisfactory.

I assume you also know about Priceline, right?

Lordy Apr 1st, 2007 05:28 AM

Hi Dukey,
is priceline a similar site?
I am not used to booking a hotel without knowing what I am getting.
Thanks
Donna

ira Apr 1st, 2007 05:29 AM

Hi L,

Before trying to use Priceline, visit www.biddingfortravel.com

((I))

saguarorose Apr 1st, 2007 05:32 AM

Make sure you read ALL the fine print before ticking the 'select' or 'book' button. Once that button is pressed, your selection is EXTREMELY difficult to change.

Double and double check again your leaving dates, your destination, airline flight times, etc. Read and reread everything or you may find yourself in difficulties if the wrong information has been entered. Trying to get something changed can be done, but it can be a hassle you don't need.

rkkwan Apr 1st, 2007 07:38 AM

Hotwire is safe and legit. Look into the databse on betterbidding.com to see what potential hotels you'll be getting on Hotwire, by matching the star level and amenities.

I've used them twice, once in Dallas and once in New York City, and the hotel they gave me is exactly the ones I thought they would, based on info on betterbidding.com.

Make sure you check various hotels of the same class in your area of interest. Sometimes you may find cheaper rates that way.

And check the maps carefully.

rkkwan Apr 1st, 2007 07:40 AM

BTW, Hotwire and Priceline are different. On Hotwire, they tell you class, amenities <b>and price</b>. Just not the name of the hotel.

With Priceline's &quot;Name your own price&quot;, you have to give them your bidding price. So, even more homework is needed, using biddingfortravel.com.

jent103 Apr 1st, 2007 08:35 AM

I used Hotwire last month to get a great deal on a hotel in Chicago. I'd definitely do it again - just make absolutely sure all your dates are correct and you read the fine print. But it is completely legitimate. I've never used Priceline just because it makes me a little more nervous - with Hotwire I feel like I have a bit more control.

Dukey Apr 1st, 2007 08:38 AM

Be aware that those &quot;lists&quot; on sites such as biddingfortravel depend totally on people such as yourself reporting what they have gotten for bidding a certain amount.

There are no guarantees you'll get the same property.

earl30 Apr 1st, 2007 09:51 AM

our office travel planner uses hotwire a lot. she will not use priceline as you don't know where you'll end up.

sherm99 Apr 1st, 2007 10:04 AM

Hotwire, Orbitz and Priceline are all safe to use. Remember that when you use one of the sites for travel, they are used like a travel agent. I booked rooms in vegas on orbitz, my friend was miffed that he did not get a final bill on checkout. Hotel said that the e-mailed orbitz receipt was the final bill, which I had. Since no charges went to the room there was no final bill. Also, make sure all your travel details are correct or you will be stuck with what you buy. Very hard to change.

earl30 Apr 1st, 2007 10:07 AM

ignore my previous post. i was thinking of expedia not hotwire. another post jogged my brain.

nytraveler Apr 1st, 2007 10:11 AM

Be aware of 2 things:

Once you have comitteed to pay at either site your money is gone. They will not refund because someone is ill or you can;t get time off work or ??? If you're dead they'll charge your estate.

Be sure you have checked out all of the hotels that are being won in a specific area. If there are ANY that you can't live with - don;t bid that area.

WillTravel Apr 1st, 2007 10:15 AM

And of course just looking at the list is not sufficient, because previously unwon hotels can appear at any time. You have to look at the zones and decide whether you're okay with any hotel that matches your criteria that is in that geographical area.