Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotle du Champs de Mars (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotle-du-champs-de-mars-648502/)

daf Sep 23rd, 2006 01:49 PM

Hotle du Champs de Mars

Hello,

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? If so, how was it?

Thanks

Travelnut Sep 23rd, 2006 01:52 PM

A bazillion people have stayed there..!
Just type "hotel and champ" in the search...It's a Rick Steves recommendation so very popular and somewhat difficult to book. There are probably comments about it under "HOTELS" section of Fodors, if you look there while you're waiting for others to post about it...

francophile03 Sep 23rd, 2006 02:12 PM

If you figure out when the 'right' time to book a room you will get a room. I don't know but I tried twice and was either too early or too late. Anyway, for myself, I was glad as I got to stay in other hotels that I've come to like location-wise better.

ebiddix Sep 23rd, 2006 05:54 PM

We stayed in March--absolutely loved it. It feels a little off the beaten path, but in reality, it's two blocks to the metro. Clean rooms, although not spacious, clean bathrooms, good housekeeping. We had a window overlooking the street, and I had a definite "I'm in Paris" moment when I threw open the shutters. Walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, and there is a cheese shop, 2 or 3 bakeries and a cafe all within the block. Click on my name to read my full trip report--but I heartily recommend this place! And, it's hard to beat the price. Another poster that's on her often stayed there last year...tcreath, maybe?

Erika

jbjayhawk Sep 23rd, 2006 07:22 PM

We just returned from Paris and a stay at Champ de Mars. We found it to be quite comfortable. The room is not as small as I imagined, and we really liked the location - just a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower (we picnicked there often) and 2 blocks from the metro stop. The disadvantage to the location is that it isn't central to alot of sights (Louvre, Notre Dame, etc.) but we liked that it was off the beaten path. Frankly some of the more central areas are so touristy, it was like a circus. We looked forward each night to going "home" to our little hotel on rue Champ du Mars. The rest of Paris is easily accessible by metro.

The rooms aren't air conditioned but we didn't miss it. They provide fans if you need one.

There's a FranPrix grocery store right next store and another grocery on the corner. It runs into Rue Cler which offers a fromagerie, patisserie and boulangerie, a produce stand, several cafes, two chocolatiers, and several other quaint shops to peruse. For breakfast we enjoyed crepes at Ulysses et Gaul and coffee and pastries from Cafe du Marche. Two cafes that were always packed at night (a good sign) were Cafe du Marche and Tribeca. We didn't have a chance to try either, but would have liked to.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. Hopefully I will post a trip report in the next few days .... still fighting jet lag.

christy1 Sep 23rd, 2006 07:36 PM

I loved this hotel. Our room was very small (not like we expect a big room in places like Paris, London or NY), but it was a fantastic value. Such a nice place, clean, comfortable, in a great neighborhood, around the corner from an amazing market, all for about 79E (I think that's what we paid last year. Anyway, you can't even get a Holiday Inn on the highway for that where I live).

Joe18 Sep 23rd, 2006 08:09 PM

I stayed there in 2003 and agree with the other posters. It would be a great place even if the cost were higher. As it is, it's amazing.