Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels With Charm--Loire Valley, Provence and the Riviera? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-with-charm-loire-valley-provence-and-the-riviera-62195/)

jayne Feb 9th, 2000 01:59 PM

Hotels With Charm--Loire Valley, Provence and the Riviera?

I've been reading lots of guide books about these regions and checking the forum archives about places to stay. There seem to be so many great sounding choices; does anyone have personal recommendations? We're a couple in our fifties and are mostly interested in 2 star small hotels or guesthouses (or maybe three star if it's an especially good value)with lots of "charm" (that's subjective, I know). I'm finding myself daydreaming about a place in the Loire Valley where we could rent bikes and bike out the front door to chateaux, and maybe a sunny villa in Provence?

John Feb 9th, 2000 02:18 PM

Hi, Jayne, <BR>Look at http://www.chateauxethotels.com/ <BR> <BR>Also Fodor's has a book on small charming French hotels which is ace.

Carol Feb 9th, 2000 02:28 PM

Try "French Bed & Breakfasts" by Alastair Sawday (4th edition)--the definitive book on the subject, with highly personal descriptions and color pictures of many. Also look into Karen Brown's French Bed & Breakfasts.

Carol Feb 9th, 2000 02:37 PM

I also do have a very personal recommendation. My mother and I absolutely fell in love with the Hotel du Cygne in Tours in the Loire valley. I found it in Frommer's (although I must say their description doesn't do it justice). It's a little 18th century house in the pedestrian zone of the town, with lots of tiny bistros right around the corner. We stayed in Tours for 2 weeks, taking day trips to see the chateaux and the countryside, and absolutely loved the town. Tourists who just pass through Tours can't imagine why we were so delighted, but when you get to know it, it has much to offer and discover--beautiful gardens and parks, patisseries on every corner, lots of little winding streets, the river.....and we paid $88/night for the room and breakfast. I think we had the largest room in the place (#4)with fireplace (marble mantelpiece and all), etc. I'm sure you can find a description on the Frommer's website.

steve Feb 9th, 2000 04:45 PM

in Onzain (across river from the castle CHAUMONT) - Chateau des Tertes <BR>It is easy biking to the Chateau at Amboise and Blois, and with more effort - Chenonceaux, and with much effort - Chambord <BR> <BR>In Azay-le-rideau Hotel du Grand Monarque. Chateau in the town, moderate cycliong to several nearby

karen Feb 10th, 2000 09:07 AM

I've used both the aforementioned guidebooks: Fodor's Rivages guide to B&Bs and the Sawday book. Several great experiences all over France. In Blois, our Loire Valley base, we stayed at La Villa Medici. Lovely, with great breakfasts. Backs up to a small back road along the river, a brief drive or bike ride to the town.

Anthony Feb 10th, 2000 10:01 AM

Lovely little hotel in Provence-"L'Amandiere" in St. Remy de Provence. We have stayed there many times. <BR> <BR>We are looking for little hotels in the Tuscan countryside--do you know of any? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Kavey Feb 10th, 2000 11:38 AM

I have travelled all my life. Since before I can remember.... been in a lot of hotels. <BR> <BR>My absolute favourite without doubt was the Chateau de Beaulieu in Saumur, Loire. <BR> <BR>Please feel free to email me for details. (and search for my resports on this site). <BR> <BR>We went in Sept so not as busy, wonderful hot weather and emptier roads. <BR> <BR>About 80% of traffic was tourists on bikes travelling the route vignoble... <BR> <BR>And les touristy than the eastern loire areas yet still within car's reach for a couple of day trips to Villandry, Chenonceaux etc... <BR> <BR>Kavey

jayne Feb 11th, 2000 10:27 AM

Great suggestions--thanks everyone.

suzanne Feb 13th, 2000 03:20 PM

Was just quickly scanning your question. Don't know if your question included French Riviera. One place I really enjoyed on a trip a few years ago was in Beaulieu sur Mer, Hotel Frisia. Beautiful view on a Marina and a wonderful village. <BR>Have fun