Reload this Page >

Hotels Roma & Principe in Florence & Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Bart

We have reequested our travel agent book us near the train stations in Florence & Venice to reduce walking with baggage for some in our group. The 4 star Hotel Roma in Florence and Hotel Principe on the Grand Canal near the Scalzi Bridge in Venice have been reserved. Are these locations likely to be crwoded and noisy?? Any comments about the hotels and location??

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Myer

We stayed at the Hotel Roma in Florence many many years ago. That was before it was renovated several times and moved up the star levels. We were in Florence a few years ago and didn't stay there becuase of the price. We should have.<BR><BR>It's located in a direct line between the train station and the major sights. (where we stayed was very close to the train station but in the wrong direction) It is probably a 5-7 minute walk to the train station. I'm only raising that to 7 minutes because of the large square with the church (Santa Maria Novella) at the other end of the square that's in between. It's probably really well under 7 minutes walk. <BR><BR>We went into the lobby on our last trip. It's a lot nicer than the first time we were there. I don't know if any hotel is really quiet in Florence. It's a matter of luch, how high up, which side, etc. On our first trip I don't remember having trouble sleeping. <BR><BR>Great location.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Nancy

Dear Bart,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Principe in Venice and it was very convenient to the train and no extra noise because of it. You are also you at the end of the Canal that is closest for visiting Burano, the scenic fishing village, lace making island.<BR><BR>When we checked in - we asked for a canal front room with balcony. Lucky for us there was one left. They only charged us $40 more per night and it was worth it! He said that if we'd booked it through our travel agent it would have cost $140 more per night!!!<BR><BR>Also another tip is to get the 3 day boat pass.<BR><BR>The Principe was the only place that served eggs for breakfast - and there is quite a dramatic Head waitress that makes for a good show.<BR><BR>I can't wait to go back - we stayed 3 nights and it wasn't enough.<BR><BR>Enjoy <BR><BR>P.S. Make sure you take the ride to the top of the bell tower in St. Mark's Square.<BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 08:46 AM
vinnie

I'll second the recommendation for the Principe, but a canal-front room is preferable.<BR><BR>Noise was no factor there, breakfast was good, and you're a 2-minute walk from the train station.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Bart to Nancy

Nancy: You say you had eggs at the Hotel Principe. What does the typical breakfast consist of with a room at Hotel Principe or other 4 star hotel in Venice?