Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels: Red and Blue in Prague and the Hollman in Vienna?

May 29th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi there! We are trying to take advantage of a strong dollar:euro ratio by prebooking some hotels. We are in our early 30s and, though we are extremely budget minded, having a nice hotel is part of the experience (it's more to us than just a place to crash). We don't mind spending a little extra but we like charming and unique places.

Our trip is Oct 7-12, 2010, which we understand is hig-mid season. We have booked the Hollman Beletage in Vienna at a rate of $420 total for two nights (including breakfast) and the Red and Blue Design Hotel in Prague for three nights at $410 total (including breakfast). Since we booked on expedia, we can cancel at no cost to us and get refunded exactly what we paid any time up til four days before we travel.

Thoughts? I searched the forums for advice and I only found some people looking at the Red and Blue (but for only 70 euros per night for February travel). Nothing at all on the Hollman Beletage. Both are very highly rated (top ten) on tripadvisor but I take TA reviews with a grain of salt.

Comments? Suggestions? Alternatives? Are we right to take advantage of the euro while it is low? Or do hotel rates fluctuate? I have read that lodging is expensive in Vienna and Prague so I figured we should strike while the iron is hot! But I do not want to overpay...
May 29th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Trip A going to be better than here unless someone has been there. You could try the search facility. $410 is a massive sum for a hotel but I guess you get hot and cold running chambermaids for that. Note that Prague is not in Euro. Still if we make these day rates thats $ 210 and $ 140 which still looks a lot.

My advise for Prague is chose the hotel on the tram system and where you stay (may not want to be in party town or maybe). Vienna, centre is small so just make sure you are inside the inner ring road
May 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Hi; Special offers at this hotel. Plus in a very good location. Richard www.hotel-pariz.cz Also, a good download of information for Prague on this site. www.inyourpocket.com
May 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Good to know - thank you. The guidebooks we were reading said that lodging was expensive in Prague (but everything else was cheap) and still more in Vienna/ We thought those rates were good but I guess we were way wrong!.

The cheaper hotels in Prague seem to run about $100 per night on the booking sites we saw but I did not realize that Prague was not using the euro yet. Am I looking in the wrong places?
May 29th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Booking,com offers the Red and Blue at 291 euro for three nights (97 euro per night) - and evn less if we prepay. Unfortunately the prepay is nonrefundable, so if the euro goes up before October, we may nend up paying more. I wish I could find someone who has been there!
May 29th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Red and Blue in Prague is a new hotel (perhaps 1 year old or less?) so no reviews here yet. There are on Tripadvisor.com that are generally positive I think. Did you read them? Close to Mala Strana area that I prefer a little more to Stare Mesto (old town). Red and Blue did look nice when I looked at its website when it opened but found its location not close enough to the center for my liking. I have stayed in Mala Strana are for about 7 times so I might be a little fussy about the location. With a great rate however I might consider staying at Red and Blue. As you say you are budget minded (like me), I recommend Residence Mala Strana or Atos, both 3*. R.Mala Strana is slightly better that Atos for me, having a pc for free internet at the reception, a bit better breakfast.
May 29th, 2010, 07:10 AM

The Hollmann Beletage is a small hotel , less than 25 rooms in the center of the city.
A perfect location for sightseeing - much within easy walking distance- Many good restaurants in this area.
It is located on a small one way street with public transport close by.
If you like this style a very nice place in my opinion.

The website will provide prices
www.hollmann-beletage.at

You can check your room classification and pricing.
You may not have a great bargain.

With the euro seemingly to continue downward trend- a further reason to book directly after you cancel your current booking.
May 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

The cheapest room directly on the website is currently more expensive - 492 US. We will see if the euro stays low thru Oct.
May 30th, 2010, 06:20 AM

sorry if i confused you. Prague not in Euro but you can book or pay for hotels in Euros.

the best deal in my mind in prague is buy a daily tram ticket
May 31st, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Interesting - so is it cheaper to pay in czech money? Is it better to pay there? Or is the amount that is charged in euros the equivalent of the czech money amount?