Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels recs for Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-recs-for-rome-970353/)

sablebaby16 Mar 13th, 2013 11:49 AM

Hotels recs for Rome

I have never been to Rome and am looking for recommendations for a hotel to stay in September. I would like to be close to places but am open to suggestions. Budget is $200 - 350+.... willing to pay more to stay at a nice hotel just not sure of pricing.

fmpden Mar 13th, 2013 12:14 PM

First you need to pick your area. We always in the Termini area for the convenient to Termini and local transit and we do not have to deal with a taxi getting to the hotel. We have Hotel Aberdeen, Sonya, and Contilla. All three stars and should be at the lower end of your budget. We prefer the Sonya across from the Opera House because of the breakfast. Some do not care for the area because it is more commercialized but we have found some great local restaurants over the years that we enjoy.

Weadles Mar 13th, 2013 12:21 PM

If you're willing to spend in the upper range of your budget, look at Albergo Del Senato. The location is very central for exploring Rome, and is steps away from the Pantheon.

Rooms in the standard categories can be small, even by European standards. But other rooms and suites offer straight on views of the Pantheon. All the rooms are very comfortable- good AC, good beds, nice amenities in the bathrooms- and the staff is especially helpful.

We've stayed there four times, and love it!

Pepper_von_snoot Mar 13th, 2013 12:26 PM

The best hotel in Rome is the de Russie.

The Aberdeen and Hotel Modigliani get RAVE reviews here.

Another great hotel is the Raphael, but it is tres expensive.

Old money stays at the Hassler.

Thin

rineurope Mar 13th, 2013 04:57 PM

$200 - $350 is about 154€ - 270€... which may limit you in the centro area. The Albergo Senato starts about 315€ in-season; about 265€ in the off-season.

The Hotel de Russie is also one of my favorite Virtuoso hotels, but the entry rooms start over 500€. The Hotel Raphael is running non-refundable (SMART-RATE) rooms starting at 299€. Unfortunately, in season, prices can be a little high downtown.

You might try the Albergo Cesari. They have rooms starting about 170€. It is about two blocks from the Pantheon. Or Hotel Campo de' Fiori, which starts about 274€ a night; rooms aren't the best in town but it has a tremendous location.

If you want lower prices, there are plenty of great options outside the city center. Then there are hotels like the Hassler, a GREAT hotel, where rooms also start at over 500€.

Perhaps the best downtown "buy" might be the Intercontinental De La Ville. Located next to the Hassler, it is also a Virtuoso property - which means you get these amenities FREE:

For 2013:
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Daily Full breakfast, for up to two in room guests
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access for duration of stay
- Italian Sommelier Kit
- 10% Food & Beverage discount card valid on lunch and dinner
for duration of stay
- 10% discount on beauty treatment and shopping at on site "Femme Sistine"

**For stays of 4 or more nights guests also receive:
guests also receive a complimentary one-way airport transfer (FCO or CIA)

So, if you book through a Virtuoso agent, you get these free - which can add tremendous value to your stay. The De La Ville probably offers more amenities than any other Virtuoso property in town! Good Luck!!

tuscanlifeedit Mar 13th, 2013 06:37 PM

rineurope, you sound like you know what you are speaking of, but is the Hotel Campo de Fiori really starting at €274? Should that be €174?

Other reasonable choices in my preferred area are the Hotel Portoghesi and Hotel Piazza Fontanella Borghese. Hotel San Carlo is another. None of these are as luxe as some mentioned above, but I would park in any of them.

rineurope Mar 15th, 2013 04:02 AM

tuscanlifeedit - Just looked at their website and in September, a HOTEL CLASSIC DOUBLE ROOM starts at €284 - OUCH! I just helped some folks in July and they paid 273€ for the same rooms??? Great location... but there are "better" buys for the same money...

Pat_in_Mich Mar 15th, 2013 04:11 AM

We stayed at Residenza Canali ai Coronari last year and loved the location. We walked everywhere. Be warned that they do not have an elevator. It looks like the rates for September are about $275 including breakfast.

Byrd Mar 15th, 2013 04:11 AM

We like the Hotel Genio. The locagion is perfecgt, right at Piazza Navona.

http://www.hotelgenioroma.it/en/index.php

Have a great trip.
Byrd