Hotels or B&B's in Sorrento

Jan 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hotels or B&B's in Sorrento

We have made our decision to stay in Sorrento for three nights in Early April. I actually have two questions, the first being will 3 nights be enough if we want to tour Pompeii and Herculaneum, the Isle of Capri and Ischia?? The scond is asking for any recomendations for accomadations for under 100 Euro a night?? Is that a resonable request for that price, looking for clean comfortable and helpful staff. Hotel or B&B is okay,breakfast included is always nice. Or am I way off base looking for something decent in that price range?? Thanks in advance
Jan 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM

We loved staying at the Il Nido hotel, which is in the hills just above Sorrento, so the rooms have gorgeous views (most with balconies) of the Bay of Naples. They run a shuttle bus to/from town frequently (just a 10 min. trip) so it's quite convenient, and being a bit out of the hustle/bustle of town was nice. They have a wonderful breakfast buffet in the onsite restaurant, which has outdoor seating on their scenic balcony. We paid 90 euros per nite for a double with private bath a few years ago - their website shows 100 - 120 per night now, but I would think that April would be at the low end.

http://www.ilnido.com/
Jan 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM

No, 3 days is not adequate for that itinerary, if you want to see any of the Amalfi coast.
Jan 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

It would actually be three full days, as we would be staying three nights and heading out on the fourth day, does that help?? We were not sure if we would do the drive of the Amalfi coast but is this a not to be missed item??
Jan 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM

3 nights = 2 full days and a half?

Pompeii and Herculaneum = 1 full day
Capri = 1 full day
Ischia = 1 full day, but it is not convenient from Sorrento. I think there is one boat per day connecting Ischia directly from Sorrento. Other connections require going through Napoli by boat or by land.

Other destinations:
Amalfi coast to Ravello and back with a stop in Positano and Amalfi = 1 full day
Jan 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM

My favs in that area:
1. See Ravelo/Amalfi
2. See Positano--take coastal boat trip
3. Day trip to Capri
4. See Pompeii
5. See Ercalano/Naples

That is 5 days in my book.
Jan 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

We maybe be able to add a day or so but have to wait until I get the rest of the month planned and can add a day or two here and there where we want to. After reading many posts about the road on Amalfi coast I am not to sure I want to take that drive. Still looking for hotel or B&B however and wondering if my budget is reasonable.
Jan 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM

You could take a ferry from Sorrento to a town on the coast, although IMO some of the negative comments about the Amalfi coast road I've seen here are really overblown. I wouldn't travel all that way and miss this beautiful part of Italy that's so near Sorrento.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkYHX-JiX3c

You might have to stretch your lodging budget a little but not much. If your dates include a weekend, I'd immediately book something in your budget that can be cancelled and then keep looking.
Jan 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Just found a place called Il Roseta Resort...Anyone ever heard of it or has anyone been there and can tell me about it??
Jan 21st, 2011, 08:28 AM

When we stayed in Sorrento, we had a wonderful day taking the SITA bus to Positano, spending the day there, and then returning by boat to Sorrento. You could also continue on to Amalfi as well.
Jan 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM

Summer of 2008 my family of 5 (kids are teens/young adult) stayed here in Sorrento: http://anticopalazzoscala.com/en/index.php

I believe we had apt 1. It was spacious and clean, nothing fancy and no views as it was in the heart of the city on a narrow, and perfectly charming, street--very quiet. Ideally located for exploring Sorrento on foot. The kids enjoyed their independence and getting to know the city on their own.
I don't remember how much we paid, but it was reasonable for the size, and the concierge, when she was there, was helpful but not overly friendly.
We took the hydrofoil to Capri, which was amazing. We hired a driver to do Positano and the Amalfi Coast--spectacular!
Jan 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lebb64. Rates are not on website however I will send for info. Anyone have any other suggestions for a moderate priced place to stay in Sorrento??
Jan 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM

Since we stayed in Amalfi, we divided our time in Sorrento like this:

midday arrival by SITA from Amalfi; afternoon exploring Sorrento
one day Capri
one day Pompeii
one day Naples
one day Herculaneum and Oplontis
next morning back to Rome via Naples
Jan 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM

We really enjoyed our stay in Sorrento and at the Hotel Villa di Sorrento. We were there 4 nights in October 2005, the off season so the rates were quite low. It's a 3 star and I think for a double now it's about 120 euros per night with breakfast included. The location was perfect because we did not have a car and we could walk to the train station to go to Naples and Pompeii and the hotel is also just off the main square in the center of town. Deborah
Jan 27th, 2011, 12:49 AM

http://www.villaelisasorrento.com/english/index.htm

We are staying here in June. Max price is 100 euros/night. We wanted something in that price range, in center of Sorrento, for easy walking distance to transport to other places we wanted to see.

Can't personally recommend as we've not yet been, but it gets vdery good Tripadvisor reviews and the owners are great about promptly answering any and every question!