hotels on amalfi coast

Search

hotels on amalfi coast

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels on amalfi coast

We will be spending our 25th anniversary in May 2007 on the Amalfi Coast. We will be there 4 days before heading to Rome. We were thinking about staying in Praiano - thought it might be quieter than Positano. At first we were considering the Grand Hotel Tritone but I'm finding that it gets terribly mixed reviews. Either glowing or scathing.

I would appreciate your suggestions. Where have you stayed that you loved? We are not set on Praiano. Our price range is around 300E. This is our splurge hotel of the trip as it will be the first hotel of our first time in Italy. We want to make a great decision. Thanks so much, Karen
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Onda Verde in Praiano during our first trip to Italy in August 2003, and it was quite nice with a helpful staff and incredible views of the water. http://en.venere.com/hotels_praiano/...nda_verde.html
The town itself was a little disappointing. I know you mentioned it may be quieter than Positano and it certainly is that. We have found during our trips that what we like as much as anything is walking around in the evening and exploring the area with a stop for wine or a gelato on the way. In Praiano, once we finished the dinner at the hotel restaurant, it was back to our room - not much to explore. If we had it to do over again, we'd probably stay in Amalfi. Lovely little town, with shops and cafes and even in August it wasn't crazy crowded; I bet in the evening it's just perfect.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM

We just got back from 4 days in Positano. I highly recommend staying there. We stayed at Villa Rosa for 160 euros per night and LOVED it, but since you are able to pay up to 300, you have a number of good choices. Search this forum for Positano hotels.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Hi Karen, My wife and myself did our first trip last year.My advice is stay in busy Positano it is well worth it.Which month are you going? We stayed on the second floor, our balcony faced the ocean and rhe sunsets were out of this world. The only negative thing were the cats ,if you dislike cats forget Positano, loaded with them in fact if you eat on the beach they are in the resturants .We stayed at the Best Western hotel,it was nice to stay in a hotel after most of that month we were in Bed and breakfast. Parking was included so was a light breakfast for 190 euros.We traveled in Sept.My advice is if you driving don't come in from Selerno, you'll have to actually drive the coast. I did then hired a driver for the next foor days.We even went into Pompeii with the driver he waited 5 hours and was at the front. We got into the car and left ,well worth the money.We took day trips to Praiano by bus into Amalfi. You'll will love this trip. We did.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Yes, toni_gb, Amalfi is perfect in the warm evenings. There is not much to do in Praiano, in the daytime you can look at Positano.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:47 AM
GBC

We have visited Positano in May. It is early in their season. Sunny - nice with a light jacket - not too busy. We stayed, and would happily return to, Hotel Buca di Bacco. It is just above and beach, very near the church you see in the photos. Also consider Hotel Villa Franco and Hotel Punta Regina, although these are not as close to the beach. All are in your price range. One further note, if you are driving, be sure to ask and arrange for parking as this can be an issue in Positano.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will start checking into the hotels you have recommended. We will be in Amalfi in mid May. Apparently May is not as crowded as I was anticipating so we will definitely consider Positano. So, GBC and others who have been there in May. You found that you needed a jacket. Would this be the normal weather for that time of year?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Halfway between Amalfi and Positano, Il Saraceno is nice.
http://www.saraceno.it/
Right within Amalfi, I recommend Luna Convento.
http://www.lunahotel.it/
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM

As for the cats. I am severely allergic to cats and although I saw cats and dogs in Positano, they were no problem at all.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM

You MUST stay in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast. It has been a long time since I visited, but it was my parents' favorite spot in Italy to visit on a yearly basis. They stayed at a hotel which may no longer be there (I believe the Hotel Palumbo?), but there are others. There is the Villa Cimbrone which overlooks the coastline and was a favorite place of either Mozart or Wagner. Also, for what it's worth, Gore Vidal has/had a villa there. Ravello is set up high, and so the views are gorgeous.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Karen - I am also a huge fan of Ravello. It is peaceful, small, quiet, and romantic. Positano is going to be much more lively with more people. It all depends on what you want but Ravello is the most special to me.

We stayed there for 4 nights and were able to take day trips on the bus to Positano, Amalfi, Capri.

We were there in Mid May 2004. The weather during the day was high 70's but at night it got very cool - in the higg 50's one night. So, do bring something warm and bring layers.

We stayed at Hotel Villa Maria. They have a honeymoon suite that is in a separate building just next to the hotel. Villa Palumbo and Palazzo Sasso are to die for but over your price range - by double in some instances believe it or not.

The one thing about Ravello that might be a drawback. There arent a lot of restaurant choices - there is a lovely one at Hotel Villa Maria and a few casual ones in town. You would have more choice in Positano I believe.

One last thing - when we were there in Mid may, the crowds were not bad at all, including in Positano. So it might be quieter than you think at night.

Let us know what you finally decide. You really cant go wrong.