Hotels near the Spanish Steps

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels near the Spanish Steps

I am looking for a moderately priced hotel or B&B, 250Euro or less by the Spanish Steps in Rome. Does anyone have any they can suggest? Thank you.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Mine is an anti-suggestion (which are just as useful). Don't stay in Hotel Oxford, which is billed as 'near' the Spanish Steps - a relative term I assure you.

AAA booked our hotels and sold me on Oxford for location - was very inconvenient for buses and walking. I hope someone else has more positive info to share!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Is there a reason for that location?
There are more centro choices. We like the Albergo Cesari location better for easier access to more of the Rome highlights.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Eva's Rooms is a B&B very near the Spanish Steps.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Hotel Panda is right across from the Steps, on a charming street, right next to the street with all the designer stores. Great location, rooms were basic, but well-priced. We would definitely stay there again! Definitely in your price range. The website is www.hotelpanda.it. Oh, it makes me want to go back when I look at the website!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Hotel San Carlo is a great choice as suggested by many Fodorites.

We stayed here for a couple of nights this past August and loved it. Great prices, great location, minutes from the Spanish steps and very easy to get to most other attractions.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You should definitely check out the Scalinata di Spagna. It's literally right at the top of the Spanish Steps -- you come out the door, turn left, and in 20 feet you're at the top of the stairs. (The Hassler is right across the street.) My wife and I stayed there about ten years ago, when it was a little threadbare, but they were starting a significant renovation. It wasn't cheap even then -- I'm recalling around $250 a night -- but I don't think you'll find cheap at the top of the Spanish Steps. It's in a 17th-century building with a roof deck on which they serve breakfast from which you can see the dome of St. Peter's. The other guests may prove interesting -- the American novelist Joyce Carol Oates was eating breakfast at the table next to us one morning.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:26 AM

When we were at the Spanish Steps in June the buildings at the top were all covered in scaffolding - including a very large billboard painted on the covering. It was very unattractive.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Yes, I too was disappointed about the scaffolding at the top of the Spanish Steps in May. It was very unsightly but I guess it is a constant process keeping up maintenance of all the old buildings and sites.

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM

You may want to consider renting this apartment in an excellent location close to the Spanish Steps. It's cheaper and roomier plus private patio, washing machine, kitchen. great value at 1000 Euro per week/142 Euro per night (that's what we paid).
http://www.rome-accom.com/eng/spanish/elisa.shtml

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:10 AM
hdm

We stayed at La Residenza (4-star) on Via Emilia, quite near the top of the Spanish Steps. On their website it looks 'quaint' but it's one of the few hotels I've seen where the actual thing is far nicer than the website pics indicate. Lovely common rooms, incredible breakfasts, nice touches like bathrobes, welcoming fruit basket, etc.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:13 AM

You shouldn't stay anywhere near the Spanish Steps and unless you have particular fondness for wall-to-wall dopey teeny-boppers and sun glass hucksters.

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Oh, please, Metellus..get a life...sunglass hucksters are all over Rome and so what???
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:42 AM
eri

We had the good fortune to find this marvelous tiny hotel, on the 3rd floor of a building 1 min from the Spanish Steps: Hotel Manfredi.
www.hmanfredi.com
If I remember correctly - we paid less than 200 Euros including breakfast. I highly recommend this hidden gem.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:59 AM

I was going to recommend the Inn at the Spanish Steps, but it's probably more than 250, unless you can get a special deal there. It's a lovely hotel, in the Via Condotti, right next to Cafe Greco. They have a very nice roof terrace restaurant.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Intrepid1,

While Metellus overstated the point, one purpose of this board is for all to share their impressions, likes/disikes (with reasons).

It's possible that wed0906 may have never been to Rome and is looking at the Spanish Steps area becuase is it iconic - not becuase she/he is aware of the vibe in all the different neighborhoods.

I am firmly in the anti-Spanish Steps camp. It is my least favorite area of Rome. Having the full range of viewpoints may be helpful to the OP.

This iconic driven way of looking at things is similar, to me, to someone who has never been to NYC imagining that the Empire State bldg area is the place to stay; or near Big Ben in London; or (God forbid) near the Air & Space museum in DC. These are all must see places for a visit to any of those cities, but I (for one) can't imagine getting a hotel next to them.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM
jgk

Take a look at hotel Modigliani. It's about a 5 min walk to Spagna right near (1 block)the Barberini Metro stop. Very nice staff, good breakfast, good showers and right in your price range. Piazza Barberini has a cool fountain and the biggest internet place in Rome.

Good luck,
j
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM

We stayed at the very top of the steps at Hotel Haussler - it was in the winter and they were running specials so we got a very cheap off season price. Depending on when you go stay here if it's in your budget - very wonderful!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 04:50 PM

When I stayed at Residenza Cellini this summer, the owner said her brother was renovating a large apt nr the Spanish Steps. This family is wonderful (see reviews of Residenza Cellini on tripadvisor.com) so I'd recommend contacting them at:

http://www.residenzacellini.it/

ask about the flat that Donato (brother) has for rent.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM

J -

You've mentioned the Hotel Modigliani, did you stay there & how did you like it. We have a reservation for next July (top floow with balcony & view) and we were looking to feedback from people who stayed there.

Thanks,

Z

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information