Hotels near the Bastille

Old Jun 11th, 1997, 12:57 PM
laurie mathews

Hotels near the Bastille

I'd like to know someone's opinion on staying near the Bastille. Particularly, we are staying at Sud Hotel Bastille Charonne and would love to know if anyone has stayed there. Additionally, the hotel has no air conditioning and we'll be there July 5-11 - will we roast? How far is this area from the heart of paris (Champs Elysee, Louvre, etc)?

Old Jun 13th, 1997, 03:54 AM
Neal Sanders

Before picking a hotel, go to a book store and buy a good map of Paris. Then, spread it out on the floor and locate the places you want to visit while you're they're. Now, locate the hotel you're considering. Staying in the Bastille area of Paris is roughly akin to staying in Queens when visiting New York, or out by O'Hare while visiting Chicago. Every trip begins with a 20-minute-plus subway ride, and there is very little to see locally. There is no Bastille (it was torn down a few centuries ago), and the one attraction in the area is the new Opera house (which is hideous). The attractions of Paris are well beyond walking distance, and the area's remoteness makes a decision to go back to the hotel room to change shoes or drop off a sweater a non-starter. The Bastille area is working-class Paris; noisy and not especially attractive for that romantic, late-evening stroll. You're on a tight budget? First, troll the internet looking for deals. Second, look on the left bank in the 4th arr. The rooms will be smaller, but the ambience much, much better. Third (and my apology to Fodor's) get hold of the Gault Miliau Paris guide, which lists roughly 300 different Paris hotels with pricing. That's how we found the Hotel Tamise at 482FF, which was a beautiful little hotel just a stone's throw from the Louvre and the Tuileries.

Old Jun 13th, 1997, 06:03 PM
Donna

Agree about the location. We were somewhat uncomfortable strolling in this area. Although, the paintings on the walls of the metro station at this stop are not to be missed. Gorgeous. We love the 7th. Highly recommend you check out Cheap Sleeps in Paris at your local bookstore. Very well researched and lots of places highly recommended at reasonable rates. Good luck!

Old Jun 14th, 1997, 03:26 AM
Bob Donahue

Please don't be discouraged by the messages posted so far to your question. I've stayed near the Bastille (at the Hotel Paris Bastille) and will do so again in September. The area is pleasant and convienient, close to the Maris and the Place des Voges. I never felt unsafe and it's loaded with little shops that add to the joy of urban living. I was drawn there by a series of articles in the New York Times a few year ago that said many good things about the place. You will enjoy it throughly.

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 04:27 PM
Foxbat

I've been in Paris twice, both times at Campanile Batille, and I can only say it was quite convenient.
The prices ( FF 420 a two-bed room, with WC and shower, a wonderful breakfast at FF 35) and a walk distance to the Rue de Rivoli. There you'll have two metro stations no more than two blocks away. You can contact them through Internet,at www.campanile.fr.