Hotels near Shannon airport

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels near Shannon airport

Anyone stayed at Old Ground Hotel or Batty.. whatever it is...castle hotel? Are there any nice b&bs that anyone would recommend? Old Ground has some good reviews and some horrible. Hard to decide. Would like to be in a nice, small town that we could walk around in; but would like it not too far from Shannon airport for an early flight home. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I haven't stayed there myself, but I've read lots of posts by Fodorites recommending the Bunratty Lodge, www.bunrattylodge.com.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Old Ground hotel is set in the small town of Ennis. I've stayed at Temple Gate and I think Old Ground's new rooms might be better. I believe you are talking about Bunratty Castle Hotel in Bunratty which is a little place with the castle and folk park right across the street. It has a few places to dine and a good gift shop and a few pubs. If you want to park your car and just walk around the Castle and Park, it would be a good bet. I've just been through the hotel but not stayed. It looks very nice and comfortable. Whatever you do, DO NOT STAY AT THE SHANNON SHAMROCK in Bunratty. For years it was a very nice hotel and I stayed a few times. My last stay was 2003 and it was awful. Bunratty is about a ten minute drive to Shannon.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Dromoland Castle. Would go back in a heartbeat.

http://www.dromoland.ie/
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM

The old ground is lovely I stayed there a few weeks ago and going back for some family stuff in 3 weeks. Bunratty though is closer and if you are flying out the next day i would stay in this area
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Ennis is about 30-min from Shannon. I've stayed several times at TempleGate Hotel there: more modern than the Old Ground.

I think the earliest BusEireann Ennis-Shannon is at 08:30. To catch an early bus you may have to skip breakfast. Not so at Rose Cottage B&B. Carmel Daniels fixed us an early breakfast at 07:00 so we could catch the Bus.

I've also stayed at the Queens Hotel: adequate 3-star, but could be noisy, especially on weekends. Cruise's Pub & Restaurant is next door on Abbey St. for Trad Irish music every night
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Would love to stay at Dromoland Castle but it is booked. I'll take another look at Bunratty Castle Hotel. Is the Lodge a better bet? Can't you get a taxi or airport shuttle? Or am I imagining a bigger town? I'm worried about hauling 2 suitcases on a bus.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Kiki,

I would suggest Bunratty Lodge, http://www.bunrattylodge.com/. It is a fantastic B&B. Mary will call ahead the night before and order up a taxi, which is far more convenient when juggling luggage. Bunratty Lodge is only 5 miles from the airport, which makes it very convenient. If you have a flight out befor ebreakfast time, Mary will make sure that you have some sort of nourishment, usually a tray of breakfast breads. They do shut down from mid November until mid March.

Slan Beo,

Bit
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I've only stayed in one B&B in Bunratty and this was without a car and I found having to hire a taxi to go to and from a meal not too much fun. With a car Bunratty Lodge would be a very nice as I've been told. Without a car I'd go to Bunratty Castle Hotel or one of the other places right near the castle. Not Shannon Shamrock. My last stay in that place, I had to hire a taxi to take me to Limerick to buy a mattress pad so I could sleep on those hard as a rock beds. Plus, over all shabby and dirty. That was four years ago and I can believe they haven't remodeled or something.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM

The airport Cafeteria (upper level) opens at 07:00.

I've also stayed in Limerick City at the Railway Hotel so I could catch the 07:45 BusEireann to the airport. It's across the street from the Bus/Rail station and they will fix one an early breakfast.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM

Right in Bunratty village the places I would stay are Bunratty Castle Hotel, Bunratty Manor Hotel or the Courtyard. If you retain your car and can drive to the village and the airport I would choose Bunratty Lodge or Headley Court. I would avoid staying at the Shannon Shamrock although their restaurant serves good dinners.

All the places I mentioned are a 10 to 15 minute drive to the airport.