Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels near Rome airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-near-rome-airport-613356/)

MariaLAX May 5th, 2006 08:11 PM

Hotels near Rome airport?

Can you guys recommend a hotel near airport? We want to stay near the airport our last night in Rome.
Thanks
Maria
Redondo Beach, CA

LoveItaly May 5th, 2006 08:45 PM

Hello Maria, right at the airport is a Hilton Hotel. And not to far away is a Holiday Inn that is less expensive and the last I heard does have a shuttle bus to and from the airport. Have a wonderful time in Italy.

Cyn May 5th, 2006 08:46 PM

We won't be staying here until mid summer, but you might want to check out the Hilton Rome Airport. Other posters (tripadvisor.com,etc) have indicated it's walkable from the airport with luggage.

Flame123 May 5th, 2006 09:44 PM

The Rome Hilton airport hotel is actually IN the airport, in fact it is the only hotel that is situated so. Therefore, they take advantage of that fact and charge you an arm and a leg for rooms and service which are far below what you would expect from a Hilton chain hotel. We stayed there our last night in Rome before a morning flight out about 2 months ago and were VERY disappointed. Had I known all this before, and on my next time out, I would have stayed in a hotel within the city of Rome, spent a nice evening out with a great meal, and just ordered a limo service the next morning to take me to the airport. Probably would have been much cheaper, certainly would have been more fun. Do not recommend the Hilton airport hotel.

5swissmiss May 6th, 2006 05:30 AM

Do a google search for aitports around the hotel. Several will come up.

We are flying out of Rome in June and will be staying at the Holiday Inn. They have a shuttle service to the airport, and the cost was only 99Euro, booked in advance on the web.

michellen May 6th, 2006 06:14 AM

Agreed about the Hilton Airport. For 150 Euros a night, it wasn't worth it. We stayed there on our last night since our flight home was at 7am. It was convenient to just walk to the terminal in the covered walkway (especially since it was raining), but the hotel was very mediocre.

Budman May 6th, 2006 06:29 AM

What time is your flight? A lot of Fodorites stay at Holiday Inn Rome-Eur Parco dei Medici. It's about 7 miles from the airport. They have scheduled shuttle service to/from the airport. You could e-mail them and ask for a copy of their shuttle times to see if it fits into your flight time. We had a 9:45 flight and even had time to eat at their huge breakfast buffet.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/hd/romdm

Mimar May 6th, 2006 07:51 AM

Unless your flight is very very early, why give up a night in Rome to stay next to the airport? Through our hotel, we rented a car with driver, leaving about 6 AM. He was very pleasant and gave us a mini-tour as we drove through the empty streets of Rome at dawn.

rh28rh May 6th, 2006 10:20 AM

The problem with the Holiday Inn is, that to my understanding, the free shuttle does not begin until 7:00am or so. I researched it several months ago and was not feasible. The last time I was at the Rome airport(april '05), the check-in and security lines were quite long. This July, I am not taking any chance and will stay at the Hilton, which I agree is too expensive; but I found the best fare trough the Hilton website--$222. EUR.
Research the Holiday Inn. They will replay to your e-mail.

roadlesstraveled May 6th, 2006 10:26 AM

I stayed at the airport Hilton in April because I had a 8 a.m. flight. Using my AAA card I was able to get a 95 euro a night rate. It was not up to the standards of most Hiltons, but is was nice to be able to walk to the airport.

Budman May 6th, 2006 11:50 AM

For the difference in price and if the shuttle won't run on time, it couldn't be more than 20-25 Euro taxi ride from Holiday Inn to the airport. Just another option for you to consider. ((b))

RJD May 6th, 2006 12:30 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Parco de Medici last year. Very nice modern facilities, good parking and a good restaurant. Reasonable rates as I remember. If you're driving it takes only a few minutes to get to the aeroporto.

Cicerone May 7th, 2006 06:34 PM

I agree with staying in Rome itself if you can for your last night as it is just more pleasant. You will find no traffic on the road out to the airport at that hour of the morning by taxi. However, if you feel better staying closer to the airport, there is a nice Marriott Courtyard hotel in the little seaside town of Fiumicino, where the airport is located. They have a shuttle bus to the airport, takes about 10 minutes. or you could take a taxi pretty cheaply. The little town has some good seafood restaurants and the restaurant at the Courtyard itself is very good, they also have an outdoor pool which is a plus if you get a hot few day. Go to Marriott.com.

Also, if you stay at the Marriott the airport is quite close to Ostia Antica, which is an ancient city with Pompeii-like ruins. Rick Steve's has a good self-guided tour to Ostia, go to http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0202/ostia.htm.