Hotels Near Montepulciano

Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hotels Near Montepulciano

Has anyone stayed in either Podere Dionora or Villa Poggiano outside of Montepulciano? I'm considering them for a stay in May. Thanks for any input!
Sep 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Sep 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Not stayed in either one of these but can highly recommend Sant' Antonio, also just outside Montepulciano, where I stayed for a week last October. Small, family-run with a very very helpful and generous host, 13 self-catering apartments of various sizes to accomodate a variety of guests. Each Wednesday evening, if enough of their guests want to participate, they hold a dinner, for a price of course, which is prepared by two lovely women who know their Tuscan cooking!! They have olive groves on the property and make their own oil and wine which are very good.
Sep 6th, 2010, 06:18 AM

I haven't stayed in either one but the location is wonderful. We were there last year and loved the Val d'Orcia. The road they are on is twisty but with the most gorgeous views.
Sep 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Flame123 - I had looked at Sant' Antonio, but they book by the week in season. I'm looking for a five night stay (M-F)

I'll through in one more - L'Olmo near Pienza?

bfrac - love twisty!
Sep 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Stu has a wonderfully detailed driving itinerary for that area.
Sep 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I think most agriturismos book weekly when in season so you might have trouble finding any that don't. If it does not HAVE to be in the Montepulciano area, I have another suggestion which may or may not book by the week (we were there off season in beg. Nov and stayed 3 nights only) - Il Poggiolo just outside of San Qurico d'Orcia. 11 apartments in a residenza, beautiful grounds, a pool, walking distance to the small and lovely town and a wonderful caretaker named Michele.
Sep 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Flame, Do you know if your Michele used to work at Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni? Does he have a shaved head?
Sep 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

bfrac - 3 years ago, when I was new to Fodors and planning a trip to the Chianti region, I came across Stu's itinerary, copied it and put it aside for my next trip to Italy - this is it!

nochblad - thanks for those links. It was interesting about the 'tannic red' wine. I am not a fan of 'big' reds and like the suggestion of drinking Rosso di Montepulciano.

I am probably going to go with Villa Poggiano; it's highly recommended by Karen Brown and the reviews online are consistently quite good.

Flame - I've emailed them for rates. Some of their rooms are quite bright!!
Sep 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM

CPG, We followed Stu's itinerary to the letter and it was an absolutely perfect day. He covered every detail and I could go on and on about how wonderful it was. I will look forward to your report.
Sep 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM

DH and I made reservations to stay at Il Fontanaro (Paciano?)
www.fontanaro.it on recommendation from friends who stay there once a year. Can't comment on it as we haven't been there yet ... we are due to arrive in October 2010.

In maps, it looks close enough to Montepulciano, which is one of my intended stops, but I really don't know how long it will take from one to the other.
Sep 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM

CPG - I hope you get some good rates. Where is Villa Poggiano?

Bob - yes "my" Michele does have a shaved head but I don't know where he worked before. Do you know him? When we were there in Nov. '08 he was recently married.
Sep 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Flame - it appears to be 2 km outside of Montepulciano going towards Pienza, off the SS146.
Sep 12th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Bookmarking - we are also looking at staying in this area. Lots of lovely places recommended here thank you
Sep 12th, 2010, 03:35 AM

What do you want in a villa or do you just want a hotel? It's hard to suggest without knowing types of amenities (pools won't be open in October at most places).

Do you plan to go into Montepulciano for dinner at night?

http://www.prolocomontepulciano.it/index.uk.php
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

ky - I'm going in May. A pool is nice to sit around although I don't think it will be warm enough. I don't want to rent an apartment or villa. 5 nights in either a small hotel or upscale agriturismo. I think I'm avoiding places with apartments that would cater to groups or families. Yes, we plan to drive to dinner at night and I've been reading through old threads and putting together a list (I'll start another thread on that soon). Do you have favorites?
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:48 PM

We stayed in Montepulciano this May and loved staying in town. We stayed here-

http://www.ilriccio.net/english/meuble.html

Locando San Francesco looked really lovely.

http://www.locandasanfrancesco.it/
Sep 14th, 2010, 04:01 AM

I don't think families will be a problem in May as kids will still be in school. The kids in Europe will have a two week break at Easter.

Parking can be a problem in Montepulciano for dinner. The lot by the tourist office is free, but usually won't have a spot. Be sure you have coins for the parking machines as some you have to pay upon arrival (guessing how long you will stay) and place your ticket on your dash.
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

macdogmom - we really want to stay in the countryside, but Locanda SF really does look wonderful. Hmmmmm?

ky - thanks for the info on parking - sounds like our muni parking. I will make sure we have coins. I don't recall paying for parking at night in Chianti or even having trouble parking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO