Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels near Frankfurt Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-near-frankfurt-airport-600108/)

ragdoll Mar 17th, 2006 01:14 PM

Hotels near Frankfurt Airport

We have an early flight out of Frankfurt in June and think we should stay nearby the night before we leave. Can you recommend a good hotel that is convenient to the airport?

BTilke Mar 17th, 2006 01:17 PM

There are many hotels in the Frankfurt airport area. What's your budget and preference? FWIW, we've stayed at the Novotel and found it satisfactory...clean, comfortable, well managed, decent onsite restaurant, airport shuttle. But not for somebody who wants lots of Old World atmosphere for their last night in Germany.

ragdoll Mar 17th, 2006 01:52 PM

Seeing as we'll be there during World Cup, we're expecting to pay around 200 euro or more. We'd love something with Old World atmosphere but also need something close enough to make an 8:20 AM flight back to the US.

Larryincolorado Mar 17th, 2006 02:07 PM

I know of two hotels very near the train station in Mainz. They normally charge less than 100 EUR for a double. From there it is a half hour train or S-bahn ride to the airport.

I have styed at the Schottenhof,
www.hotel-schottenhof.de, and it was ok, but I think I like the looks of Koenigshof, www.hotel-koenigshof-mainz.de, which is just across the street.

With either one, get reservations directly through the website. Hotel booking websites claim they get better prices, but don't.

adeben Mar 17th, 2006 05:26 PM

When I arrive on the late evening flight from Singapore, I stay overnight at the Ibis Hotel near the airport. It is a standard Ibis-type hotel, perfectly comfortable, but with absolutely no old-world charm! Big advantage is its efficiency, comfort, price, and the free shuttle from the airport.

aeiger Mar 17th, 2006 08:10 PM

Hi
The times we've flown out of Frankfurt, we stayed at the steigenbergen. It has a shuttle bus that's free and convenient. We've stayed at the Maxx also but prefer the other.

Bob_KY Mar 17th, 2006 08:22 PM

There is a hotel in the airport - Hilton I think. Fairly expensive, but it does make things easier.

Intrepid1 Mar 18th, 2006 12:43 AM

As an alternative...and don;t mind getting up early the morning of your flight..stay in Cologne. The ICE will get you directly to the FRA airport RR station in 57 minutes.

ragdoll Mar 18th, 2006 06:13 AM

Forgot to mention that we'll have a rental car to drop off. We could probably drop off the car the night before and take advantage of hotel shuttles but the hotel (Sheraton) adjacent to the airport is probably most convenient. I am not finding any accomodations under 200 euro thanks to World Cup.

BTilke Mar 18th, 2006 06:37 AM

Just out of curiousity, have you tried the World Cup specials on the www.hotel.de site? They emailed me with this yesterday. We have no plans to be in Germany during the WC, but perhaps they do have something for under 200 euor.
http://www.hotel.de/media/hotels-in/...-world-cup.htm

valtor Mar 18th, 2006 08:14 AM

I found (some months ago), at www.hotels.de, a special offer for Holiday Inn Frankfurt airport at 35 Euro / room (without breakfast). The hotel is 5-7 min. by free shuttle bus.

Larryincolorado Mar 18th, 2006 11:25 AM

The ICE from Köln costs 53 EUR per person. On the other hand there are hourly trains from Bacharach in the morning. They take 1hr 14 min and only cost 9 EUR. There are lots of inexpensive accommodations a short distance from the bahnhof in Bacharach.

Coming in from Bingen takes less than an hour for 6,25 EUR, but I am not so sure about convenient accommodations.

ekellyga Mar 18th, 2006 12:29 PM

Hotel tanne
THey have a website.
Wake-up call and 5 min cab ride to the terminal

BTilke Mar 18th, 2006 12:44 PM

The first 57 minute ICE from Cologne doesn't leave until about 6 am, so it gets into Frankfurt airport too late for the OP's 2 hour checkin window (6:20 am for an 8:20 flight). The regular ICE train leaves Cologne at 4:33 am and arrives at the airport at 5:43 am.

Nlingenfel Mar 18th, 2006 12:49 PM

The Holiday Inn Express, at Moerfelden, is an easy 5 minute drive to the airport on back roads. Follow the road into the airport (they have directions) and you come directly into the car return lane. We always stay at a small hotel Zum Gruen Haag Garni, and it is a direct shot to the airport by the back way. They have a web site http://www.zumgruenenhaag.de. Nice restaurant about 5 minutes from the garni, called the Apple. Very good food. Was there on March 8th, owner left us in early, as it was cold and raining and we were sitting in the car waiting for them to open.

Larryincolorado Mar 18th, 2006 04:35 PM

If you stay at either Schottenhof or Königshof, it is just a few minutes walk to the Mainz bahnhof, where a regional train, RE3301, leaves at 5:59 for the regional bahnhof. It arrives at 6:19 at the station under the street in front of the terminal.

Larryincolorado Mar 18th, 2006 04:50 PM

I just got an email back from Königshof saying that they could get me a double room with breakfast for June 15 for 120 EUR. I know that is probably not your date, but I wanted to get a typical price.

As I said earlier, the train leaves from across the street at 5:59, getting into the station at FRA at 6:19.

ragdoll Mar 19th, 2006 09:06 AM

Thanks Larry. I also sent a reservation request to the Königshof. We'll see what they quote me for June 28. I'm also considering another poster's recommendation for the Schlosshotel Kronberg.

ragdoll Mar 19th, 2006 09:20 AM

Do we really need to be at the airport 2 hours in advance?

Russ Mar 19th, 2006 10:08 AM

I have stayed at the Ibis Mainz a couple of times - very convenient to the airport via the Mainz Süd station, which is one stop closer to the airport than Mainz' main station - and very inexpensive, especially on weekends. It's also closer to Augustinerstrasse and the old town area, where most of the shopping and cafes are to be found. I prefer this area over the area around the main station.