Reload this Page >

Hotels Italy - Near Train Statoins

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Mashel

Message: Dear fellow travellers,<BR><BR>My husband and I are going to florence, venice, and rome for 9 days. We are staying near the train staition in florence and rome, just to be able to get in and out of the city quickly. Are the areas seedy and bad? Is it better to stay more city center?<BR><BR>thanks!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Tess

-<BR>"Seedy" ranking (most to least)<BR> -1. Rome<BR> -2. Florence<BR> -3. Venice<BR><BR>I'd have no qualms about staying near train station in either Florence or Venice. It may not be my first choice of local, especially for Florence. Florence's center is so compact that you can easily stay closer to the Duomo and still be able to quickly get to train station.<BR><BR>As to Rome, well, I'd choose either Piazza Navona area or Spanish Steps over Termini.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:13 AM
elaine

I agree with Tess's rankings and with her opinions on where she would stay and where she wouldn't.<BR>There are some blocks around the Termini station in Rome that I'm told are not as bad as others, but it's still a hectic, commercial area which imo doesn't show any of Rome's beauty or attractions. "Getting in and out of the city quickly" is really not a problem. From most of central Rome you can easily take the Metro or a taxi and be at the train station within 15-20 minutes.<BR>Florence's Duomo is about a 10-15 minute walk to the train station. The train station area isn't bad, but<BR>it's certainly not beautiful.<BR>Venice's station isn't in a bad area at all, I just don't find it as convenient a location for doing the walking to the sites that I love.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Marianna

Hi Mashel,<BR><BR>I live and work in Rome as a tour guide and know the city very well. I agree with your replies regarding the staying around Termini station in Rome. It is not that it is really dangerous, it is more that there is no real need to stay there. This is where many of the illegals stay and the pickpockets are also very active in this area. That is not to say that you can't find a decent hotel around the station.<BR>However there are better options. The historical centre of Rome is small and most areas close by the station in the sense that public transport or a taxi will get you there very quickly and easily. <BR>If you would like to email me direct I would be more than happy to send you some hotel recommendations in some wonderful areas in the centre where you can truly experience the wonderful piazzas of Rome.<BR>Regards<BR>Marianna

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Leslie

Don't stay near any of these train stations. The historic centers of these cities are very nearby and SOOO much nicer. A taxi ride is 10 minutes and $10 max for your ride to the train station....well, except for Venice, that is...