Search

hotels in verona, vicenza, padua, venice and milan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in verona, vicenza, padua, venice and milan

Buongiorno.

My husband and I (older folk) are planning a trip through the Veneto in March, flying in and out of Milan.

We need suggestions for inexpensive but pleasant, quiet hotels in our stopover towns (Verona, Vicenza, Padua, Venice, Milan, in that order); Verona and Milan are 2 nights, Venice is 3 nights, and the others are 1 night.

Does Italy have an equivalent to a b&b or a chambre d'hote? That might be interesting.

We would like the location to be central to the old centers of the cities and the sights and, we hope, not too far from the train stations.
We'd like these to be walking visits as much as possible.

Beyond that we welcome suggestions for restaurants, not-to-be-missed sights, interesting shops featuring local arts/crafts/eats, or just anything you want to tell us.

Grazie molto, Ellen
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM

We are in our 50's and last year we stayed in Milan for 2 days on our way to Tuscany. We stayed in the Cristoforo Colombo on the Corso Buenos Aires. Although we typically don't stay in chain hotels, this is a Best Western, we found it to be a great choice. We were close to the train station by cab, the subway, and walking distance to the Duomo. the staff was very gracious and gave us some good recommendations for local restaurants, which I am still talking about.The breakfast very good and the rooms, although small. comfortable. the rate was very good for a Milan hotel. My only caveat would be to book a room on a top floor, because the lower rooms can feel and hear the rumble from the trains or subways.

enjoy Milan
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Italy has excellent bed-breakfast options in most every city you have mentioned except Milano. There are almost always spectacularly clean, owned by friendly, super-helpful people,have delicious breakfasts and cost a fraction of a hotel room. Simply do Google searches for those cities along with the words "bed breakfast."

It is not a good idea to key your hotel stay to the train station in Italy. Most train stations do not stop in the historic center of town, which is where it is most enjoyable to sleep (partly because there is far less motor traffic in the old city). The rail stations were built on the edges of town, so as not to destroy the old cities.

It is never very expensive to get a taxi to take you and your luggage to your accomodations. Without your luggage, you can easily get a bus or even take a longish walk to the train station for day trips.

You would probably do better to visit Padova as a day trip from Venezia, and perhaps Vincenza too. As you already may have heard, some of the best Palladian architecture is really only accessible by car from Vincenza. Many tour operators in Venezia and probably even Verona offer car tours of the Palladian villas.

It is always difficult to find hotel accommodations in Milano. If you are staying there simply because you are using Malpensa airport, it is often easier to find accomodations in Stresa on your last night (there is a bus from there you can take to Malpensa) or go directly to Verona on the morning you arrive, either by bus from Malpensa or through the Milano train station. If you choose to stay your first night in Verona, your hotel or B-B can give you advice on the best way to arrive.

My only advice is that you not miss the area of the Duomo in Verona, and visit the art museum even if you are not ordinarily "museum people" because it is inside a beautiful castle.

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Sorry, i meant to type Vicenza.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM

We liked Hotel Torcola in Verona. You can read all the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. Happy travels!!!!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM

OOPS, it is Hotel Torcolo--not Torcola
Sorry!!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM

I'm reposting this from your other thread about railpasses . . .

Verona, Vicenza, and Padua are all quite close to one another--about 30 minutes by train. And Venice is 30 minutes from Padua. For such short distances, I would choose one place, perhaps Verona, and visit Padua and Vicenza from there as daytrips. (Or stay 2 nights in Vicenza or Padua and daytrip to the other.) Then on to Venice for 3 nights, then Milan.

Every time you change locations you lose at least half a day, even for such short distances. It takes a lot more time than you think to check out of your hotel, drag your luggage to train stations, ride to the next town, drag your luggage to the new hotel, check in . . .
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM

On our last trip we stayed in the hostel Villa Franchescetti in Verona. When we arrived, the family room wasn't available so we had to stay in segregated dorms. I wouldn't recommend it for you. It's run down and my wife complained about the low water pressure for her shower and her blanket being stolen by another woman to use as a curtain on her bed.

In Venice we rented an apartment from Hotel d'Art. We had five, wife, self and three kids. We got a very functional apartment (if not fancy) for a good price. If I were going back, I would call them first to see what they have.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Hi Ellen,

We, too, were very happy with the little Hotel Torcolo. We were there in April 2006.

The location just off Piazza Bra was great, and our room was quite comfortable. Breakfast was good, too.
http://www.hoteltorcolo.it/en/index.html

By the way, we're "older folk," too.

Have a wonderful trip.

Byrd
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM

As Ellen already advised, you do not need hotels in all these places, as many of them are very close one by other.

When we stayed this May-June this year in Verona, from there we took the train to visit Verona, Vicenza, Sirmione and Mantua.

As we took every day the train, we preffered a hotel near railway station. We stayed at Novo Hotel Rossi, good room, clean, good breakfast.

At Milano we stayed at Genius Downtown, 2 minutes from Cadorna train station, 2 minutes from Castello Sforzesco, 15 min. wlaking to Duomo.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Valtor, what did you pay at Genius Downtown and how did you like it?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM

A friendly and comfortable B&B type of place in an excellent Venice location is the Annex to this place:

http://www.hotelalleon.com
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

You are all fabulous! I hear your advice loud and clear.

Stick to point-to-point tickets. Plan fewer stopsovers, perhaps staying most of the time in Venice (a place we just love anyway). Maybe Vicenza overnight then straight on to Venice, and do day trips from there. And don't miss the museum in Verona (yes we ARE museum people!).

Advice on the problems of hotels close to train stations and suggestions for Milan is also much appreciated.

Thanks you so much for this invaluable help!

Ellen
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM

The price at Genius was different fronm night to night, I think that it was 110 Euro average price.
The location is very good, the buffet breakfast is rich. Large and clean room.

However, we had a problem in the first day / night, as we receive a very small room 9we compared it with the room that our friens had). We asked for changing it, the hotel told us that they can not do anything , the hotel is full, etc...till I noted that on the door of our room is specified that this is a single room (they took out the table, etc and put a second bed !!!).
In this moment, they had no other option but just to give us a double room that we paid in advance (3 months in advance).

Without this problem, I can say that i would recommend this hotel and return there. But after my experience, I am not sure...
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 03:43 AM

I'd suggest a minumum of 2 nights in each place - this still only gives you one full day. We rececently stayed for 2 nights each in Padua, Bologna and Assisi and wished we'd stayed 3 nights in all of them.

In Padua we very much liked the hotel Belludi 37, except that the air conditioning wasn't really up to it - but that won't be a problem in March. We had the corner Basilica view room with balcony and it was large and very smartly furnished in a boutique hotel style. It was the same price as the other double rooms at €110pn in June - I daresay March may be cheaper.

The must-see sight in Padua is the Scrovegni chapel and I'd advise doing what we did - book a double-ledngth slot in the evening, get a guidebook with descriptions of each section and take it and bioculars/opera glasses with you. It's really worthwhile worth doing your homework !