Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotels in venice (Lido) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-venice-lido-266694/)

david Oct 17th, 2002 02:43 PM

hotels in venice (Lido)

what do people think here, is it worth the money to stay on the islands, or should you save money and stay on the venetian mainland (i am staying for 4 night, and am waffling on what to do). opinions?

Rex Oct 17th, 2002 05:22 PM

I have been to Venice more times than any other place in Europe, and stayed on Lido twice (once in 1969 - - honestly don't remember the place we stayed super well), and again in 2000 with group of 6 teenagers. It was the only way to keep a two-night stay there affordable, rather than give in to staying only one night there.<BR><BR>So, when I advise against staying on Lido, it's with two "but"s - - one, if you cannot stay within your budget any other way - - or if you are going to have a prolonged stay. So, your needs might fit one or both of these notions.<BR><BR>I assume that when you say Venetian "mainland" - - you mean IN Venice "proper" (the islands), not in Mestre (which IS on the "MAINland").<BR><BR>Try to find a way to make it work to stay IN Venice if you possibly can.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

upwards Oct 17th, 2002 09:08 PM

ttt<BR>

Jack Oct 18th, 2002 01:08 AM

Hi there,<BR>If you are interested in finding a very good value for money place to stay in Venice, then pls send me an email.<BR>Have a good day.<BR>Jack

richard j vicek Oct 18th, 2002 12:06 PM

Good afternoon, David as Rex suggests stay within Venice during your<BR>whole stay, there are many hotels in all ranges. We have used the Ala, Fenice and DoPozzi over the years, there are three star. Currently have<BR>moved up to the Saturnia a four star<BR>which we find excellant. There are many hotels in two star of which you<BR>can find recommendations in Fodors,<BR>Frommers amd EWTG. Keep the Venice<BR>experience, don't delete from it by<BR>having to journey from the Mainland, <BR>Mestre to Venice or from the Lido, it is<BR><BR><BR>

richard j vicek Oct 18th, 2002 12:08 PM

Good afternoon, David as Rex suggests stay within Venice during your<BR>whole stay, there are many hotels in all ranges. We have used the Ala, Fenice and DoPozzi over the years, there are three star. Currently have<BR>moved up to the Saturnia a four star<BR>which we find excellant. There are many hotels in two star of which you<BR>can find recommendations in Fodors,<BR>Frommers amd EWTG. Keep the Venice<BR>experience, don't delete from it by<BR>having to journey from the Mainland, <BR>Mestre to Venice or from the Lido, it is not only the 15 min trip from the<BR>Pza S. Marco to St. Eliz, but the time<BR>it takes you to reach the vaporetto station from your hotel on the Lido.<BR>Stay in Venice. Richatrd of LaGrange Park, Ill.<BR><BR><BR>

Krista Oct 18th, 2002 12:20 PM

I stayed in one of the hotels on one of the "Lido's". It was the biggest dump, and a huge waste of time. Unless you have a car, you have to wait on the buses or take a cab, then you have to wait on the ferry, then you have to wait again when you go to all the stops the ferry makes. And it only runs at certain times, going certain directions, etc. It would of been worth every penny to stayed on Venice (island) rather than taking an hour to get back and forth.

Wendy Oct 18th, 2002 06:53 PM

David,<BR><BR>I'll be a dissenter here... We stayed at the Albergo Quattro Fontane on the Lido, and absolutely loved it! We had a huge room, lovely breakfast, in an old antique-filled house where we were treated like members of the family. The hotel itself is about a fifteen minute walk from the ferry, and it was no big deal to get back and forth to Venice. We visited in the summer when Venice was packed with tourists, and found it refreshing to escape the crowds and return to the Lido each night. Have a wonderful time!