Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Venice--Are there any amazing finds out there??

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Jackie

My husband and I are traveling through Italy in May 2003, and we're finishing up in Venice for 2-3 days. Up until now, we have spent all our time investigating and researching Rome and Tuscany, so we have not been focused on Venice. I must make some reservations soon and am not sure where we want to stay.<BR><BR>I'd like to keep the rate at or below (even better!) $200; we are staying in some very nice places in Tuscany, and I worry we'll be poor by the end of our trip. We'd love a delightful view with the ambiance to match--a &quot;great find of a place.&quot; Will I be sorry if we don't have a view of a or &quot;the&quot; canal? Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Also, any hints on which of the 6 areas of Venice to stay/to visit are the best? San Marco? Castello? San Polo? Cannaregio?<BR><BR>I'm baffled. Thanks in advance for your helpful responses!<BR><BR>Jackie

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Rex

Fodors Rants'n'Raves is pretty close to a proxy for opinions from all the participants on this forum, even though it is hard to alter twenty responses, once they get posted there - - good responses sometimes beget more good responses, and vice versa.<BR><BR>But having said that, this place has a larger number of responses, with more good ratings, including plenty of recent ones - - than any other on fodors:<BR><BR>ACCADEMIA VILLA MARAVEGE<BR><BR>A secret garden awaits just beyond an iron gate, complete with a mini Palladian-style villa, flower beds, stone cupids, and verdant trees -- all rarities in Venice. Aptly nicknamed &quot;Villa of the Wonders,&quot; this patrician retreat once served as the Russian embassy. Conservative rooms are outfitted with Victorian-era antiques and fine tapestry. It's built on a promontory where two side canals converge on the Grand Canal, which is well glimpsed from the garden. Book well in advance. 27 rooms. Bar. AE, DC, MC, V. <BR><BR>ACCADEMIA VILLA MARAVEGE <BR>Fondamenta Bollani, 1058 Dorsoduro, Venice 30123, Italy <BR>Phone: 041/521-0188 <BR>Fax: 041/523-9152 <BR><BR>EUR 52 to 155<BR><BR>Other posts about it (and maybe website/e-mail details - - I think) available on other posts, if you'll simply search &quot;Maravege&quot;.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Pam

We were in Venice in late October and stayed at La Calcina(see rants and raves). We did check out the Accademia and rooms at that time were not going for less than $200 euros. It looked lovely but you may well have trouble finding a room. I seem to remember a post from a few days ago where the poster could only get a &quot;back&quot; room there and I think that was for September. May, being closer, might be even more of a problem. I don't think you will loose out if you do not have a view of the canal(La Calchina does have some rooms with views of the Guidecca Canal). Personally, I liked the area Dursodouro which was removed from the madness of San Marco but a pleasing walk to it. Venice is an extremely easy city to navigate. La Calchina is also two bridges from the waterbus to the airport and an easy vaporetto ride from the train station. We liked the Castello and San Polo. The Castello is closer to San Marco(and the hub of vaporetto transfers) while San Polo is down the canal a ways. San Polo hit us as a student type of place with a bit of an alternative feel. We liked it but again it's a ways from what you might want to see especially being in Venice for 2-3 days. As I say with nearly every post about the place..Ah...Venice!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Joan

stayed at the Flora last year. great location and quiet. first room we were presented was tiny; we complained and were move to a spacious room on an upper floor overlooking the rooftops of venice and the garden where breakfast is served.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Jackie

Thanks so much for your recommendations so far! Unfortunately the Maravege is already sold out, but we are checking on the others! We're keeping our fingers crossed! Please let us know if you think of any others...

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Pam

Try hotel american..also in the area I wrote about (Dursodouro). You might be able to get a room there for $200euros probably not less than that. Also..another area of Venice we liked was Campo San Margherita. I do not know of hotels there but others might.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Ralph

I would second the Accademia Villa M....we stayed there two years ago and loved it, especially the garden areas out front and back, which are nice to come back to with a bottle of wine after a long day of walking around. Very nice breakfasts daily outside..this place was a find for us.<BR>cheers,<BR>Ralph

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Mike

Jackie:<BR><BR>My wife and I are also going to Italy in May (12-22) our last Rome, Florence and Venice. I can't decide on a hotel for Venice either so I am very interested in your question. If you would like to e-mail me we can swap notes. I think we would like somwhere to sit and watch the canals whether it be our room or a cafe. We will probably be exausted by Venice.<BR>Mike<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Pensione La Calcina

As mentioned once above, my recommendation is Pensione La Calcina. I've stayed there twice. Sweet place, pleasant, clean, well run, nice breakfast included, good staff. Peaceful atmosphere after a day our and about in the city. Yet only about 10-15 mins. walk to San Marcos. Easy to get to by vaporetto from the train station. www.lacalcina.com

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:08 PM
christine

My husband &amp; I are traveling to Italy in March and I've gotten a lot of good information from this site. One great recommendation was Hotel Galleria for 110 euros per night. It's clean, friendly, and centrally located, only catch is it's a small hotel w/o many rooms so reservations might be hard.<BR>I emailed once &amp; they told me they we're booked I emailed them a month later &amp; they had an opening. www.hotelgalleria.it I also used tripadvisor.com as a cross reference for recommendations.<BR><BR>Good Luck<BR><BR>Christine

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:15 PM
karin

jackie...<BR>try hotel torino. <BR><BR>have fun

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Kay

I would try the Hotel Galleria. We stayed there for 6 nights last year and loved it. It is right on the Grand Canal, some rooms front on to it, others have windows with a side view. It is 2 mins walk from a vaporetto stop and also has a bar/cafe next door where you can sit outside and watch the water traffic. Just thinking about it makes me long to be there, Venice is a wonderful place.<BR>Kay

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Rob

Checkout the Splendid Suisse...great location &amp; excellent hotel<BR><BR>Rob

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Val

We stayed at Locanda Novo in September and it was really good. The rate was 130 per night for 2, including breakfast which was excellent and served in your room. The furnishings are fabulous, the place is spotlessly clean and the staff are really pleasant and helpful. It is between Cala D'Or and Rialto bridge Vaporetto stations, easy walking distance to everywhere, they have their own website.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:34 AM
selena

We stayed in a hotel/apt. ran by the Silva hotel. It was a one bedroom with a nice kitchen and a fold out bed in the living area. It was $48.00 per night per person. There were 3 of us...It was near the Ca'd'oro (sp) stop. I would stay there again. I have no complaints except it was up a few flights with no elevator. But it was good exercise !<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Laurie

Jackie- <BR>Let's tackle the general questions first. IMO, having a good view (either canal or garden) IS important in Venice because the rooms are often small &amp; can get claustrophobic. In May, I would even say try for a balcony. Do keep in mind though that the trade-off may be noise if you're on the water.<BR><BR>As to location, everybody has their opinion. If you're not going to be there over a weekend (when it gets very crowded), I might try to stay in or around San Marco since you're only there for a short time. If your stay does fall on a weekend, I'd stay a bit away from the hubbub. I liked the Dorsudoro area because it was near everything but a bit removed. It also has lots of restaurants &amp; some of the main sights. I think Cannaregio has many of the same qualities.<BR> <BR>While I empathize with your budget concern, as this is your last stop, stay somewhere that will end the trip on a high note. Venice is expensive. <BR><BR>I got back a week ago from the Accademia. Our room, which faced the front with a diagonal view of the canal, was 225e/night (Fodors needs to update their price information!). When I first contacted them they were totally booked. I asked to be put on a waiting list (don't know if they actually have one). About 4-6 weeks later I emailed again &amp; they had a room.<BR><BR>I think &quot;amazing finds&quot; in Venice are more in the area of great deals. Someone here found the Palazzo Sant Angelo http://santangelo.hotelinvenice.com which is a relatively new 4* hotel right on the Grand Canal. They were offering introductory rates that were not available when I was there &amp; by next May I doubt they'll have them anymore but- I would stay there in a heartbeat based upon the location &amp; the reviews here.<BR><BR>The Galleria, as mentioned above, gets consistently good reviews here &amp; is well located. La Calcina looks lovely &amp; may have more water view rooms because it's on the Guidecca Canal looking toward Guidecca island where the Cipriani is.<BR>I came upon a hotel called Belle Arti which is not far from the Accademia in Dordudoro It's right next to the Ca Pisani Hotel which is very trendy &amp; has a good restaurant called La Rivista. Anyway, the Belle Arti is not on the water but looked very nice.<BR><BR>The Marconi is on the Grand canal right near the Rialto bridge &amp; very reasonable but I wouldn't stay there without a Canal side room. By the way, most of these places don't have elevators, so if that's an issue for you, be warned.<BR><BR>Some other reasoanably priced hotels that were recommended to me (but I didn't see) were Hotel Ca D'Oro www.cadoro.com in Cannaregio and Hotel Bel Sito &amp; Berlino in San Marco http://users.iol.it.belsito<BR><BR>Several people here have mentioned the Violino D'Oro which I did see &amp; is very centrally located near San Marco. Some of their rooms should be on the water.<BR><BR>Finally, some websites to check that may have better rates than going directly through the hotels are www.venere.com and totalstay.com<BR><BR>Hope i haven't confused you more! <BR><BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 03:45 PM
lyle

We spent three nights at the Hotel Art Deco in September and would definitely stay there again. Recently redone, good location, great price. I think they have a website.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Barb

We stayed last March at the Ca' d'Oro in the Canareggio district and loved it! Our room was 145 euro/night, including breakfast and taxes.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:24 AM
nancy

Locanda Leon Bianco- Grand Canal, <BR>Cannareggio area,<BR>6 rooms, lovely family runs it,<BR>we paid 155 E in May for G.C room,<BR>but we booked in September, it might be late.<BR>There are reviews here.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Ira

Hi<BR> Locanda Barbarigio www.locandabarbarigo.com/<BR> got excellent reviews. It is on a small canal near San Marco Sq and not far from the Accademia Bridge.<BR> The room called Esmerelda was highly recommended. Rate is under 200E w/bkfst.<BR> I am booked there for Sept. If you stay there, please let me know how it was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -