Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Strasbourg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-strasbourg-105549/)

needadvice Feb 12th, 2001 06:24 AM

Hotels in Strasbourg

We will be in Strabourg for 2 days next month, we are meeting a son who is school overseas...where would be a good place to stay, not too expensive, near some nightlife?

Ross Feb 12th, 2001 06:34 AM

Hi!!! <BR> <BR>I recently stayed at the Hotel des Francs Bourgeois in Strasbourg. It's not expensive, about $45 a night for one, in a very central location. They have their own website. Any questions, feel free to E-Mail me. <BR> <BR>Ross. :-)

needadvice Feb 12th, 2001 07:15 AM

Thanks for the help...any other suggestions for hotels out there?

Patrick Feb 12th, 2001 10:43 AM

Hotel Cathedral is right on the big square facing the cathedral. Nice three star place. We had a huge room with a seating area that was shaped like a boat -- very odd, but nice. Great breakfast buffet as I recall also.

Christina Feb 12th, 2001 11:25 AM

I would highly recommend Hotel de l'Europe (or maybe Hotel Europe); it is a very nice hotel (very large rooms for europe with good baths) and right in the Petite France quartier so in walking distance to restaurants (a great Alsatian one right across street, actually), the old quarter and the main cathedral square. Hotels in Strasbourg are very reasonable in comparison to Paris; it is a 3-star but was maybe only about $100 a night for a double. Some people may like being right near the Cathedral and I thought of it myself when planning, but having been there, I think it would have been a nightmare as it is very full of nonstop noise and tourists and everything is very close together; having seen the few hotels right on that square, I really am glad I decided against that as I know I would have hated it. If you don't care about that stuff, you might like it, it sure is central.

Patrick Feb 12th, 2001 11:28 AM

Although our room faced the cathedral and the square is indeed very busy, we kept our windows closed and our air conditioning on as it was also very hot! The hotel, like many, has double glazed windows and it was quiet as could be inside. But our window view of the cathedral, especially at night was breathtaking.

richardab Feb 13th, 2001 05:00 PM

I stayed in the Hotel Rohan in Strasbourg. It was a very nice small hotel with a great breakfast <BR> <BR>I would definitely stay at the HOTEL DES ROHAN which a few steps from the cathedral. It's in a active part of the city within walking distance from shopping and restaurants. The only drawback is that it is in a pedestrian zone. If you have a car you will need to park it in the public garage and drag your luggage to the hotel. The hotel will also help you with this if you wish. <BR> <BR>The rooms are simple and clean with sparkling modern baths. They also have a nice continental breakfast with coffee, teas, juice, bread and croissants. The staff is friendly, speaks English and the rates are VERY GOOD. They are very fast at answering Emails too! Check their websight- <BR> <BR>http://www.hotel-rohan.com/ <BR> <BR>This one is also recommeded by Karen Brown. <BR> <BR>http://www.karenbrown.com/franceinns/hoteldesrohan.html <BR> <BR>While you are in Alsace take a day and drive to Ribeauville on the Route du Vin. It's the cutest medievil village with great restaurants, shops and lots of wineries along the way! <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR>RichardAB <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

Mary Ann Feb 14th, 2001 04:37 AM

We stayed at Hotel Gutenberg just off of Place Gutenberg a few years ago. We used the underground parking at the Place for our car. The hotel was very reasonable and the room for 3 (we were traveling with our 21 year old daughter who had just finished a semester in Germany) was very large and lovely (newly remodeled but kept the French flair). Easy walking to the Cathedral and the canals of the vielle ville.

graziella Feb 14th, 2001 02:16 PM

If you will be staying during the week end, many good hotels offer a week end, look into that you might be staying in a better place for more or less the same money.

steve Feb 14th, 2001 02:44 PM

We also stayed at the Hotel de L'Europe and liked it very much. Our room was pleasant and we loved the location. It was an easy walk to the main square and it was right by Petit France. The staff was friendly and helpful in making restaurant reservations, giving directions etc.

Joanna Feb 14th, 2001 03:46 PM

A third bouquet for Hotel de l'Europe! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this very nice, traditional style hotel. Convenient for everything and the Petit France district, with its canals, is very picturesque.

Jay Feb 15th, 2001 07:28 AM

My wife and I also stayed at the Hotel Gutenberg. The hotel was great, and the city is outstanding! <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

top Jul 16th, 2001 05:16 AM

Topping for Gina

Gina Jul 16th, 2001 09:24 AM

Thank you for bringing this post to the top. I found all information I had been looking for. <BR>Why when I did the text search this post never came up?

top Jul 16th, 2001 09:32 AM

To find this thread, I searched 'Strasbourg' and read through a number of headers 'til I found this one. When I tried 'Strasbourg hotels,' the only thread returned was your original question. <BR>

steve Jul 16th, 2001 07:28 PM

Here's another vote for the Hotel de L'Europe. The location is great, our room was comfortable and the staff was most helpful. <BR>We had an enjoyable dinner at Chez Yvonne.

Hanka Jul 17th, 2001 07:36 AM

I am going to Strasbourg too and would like ti find out more about rooms in Hotel de l'Europe since it was recommended at least three times.Do they have private bathrooms, big and not too soft beds, are they not too small? How is breakfast? Is there a lift? Did you make reservation on Internet? How much? How big or small were those rooms? There are be two people husband and me. Can we wlak from a train to this hotel?

kmarie Jul 17th, 2001 09:03 AM

Hanka-- <BR>You might want to check their site <BR>http://www.hotel-europe.com/ <BR>You'll find links to this hotel and to others in Strasbourg at www.strasbourg.com. <BR>Perhaps someone else can help you further with more specific info on their experiences with Hotel de l'Europe.

Hanka Jul 17th, 2001 01:11 PM

Thank you Kmarie for trying to help. I checked their website but there is no information I am looking for. I was hopping someone who stayed there would answer my questions but I guess you have to be very fluent in English otherwise I feel that because of my broken English people on this forum don't want to answer questions asked by those who are not Americans. It happened before when I posted my independent question I was ridiculed and never got an answer. I also did not get those jokes. <BR>

steve Jul 17th, 2001 03:42 PM

Regarding the Hotel De L'Europe: <BR>Yes they have private bathrooms, our room was on the small side but not bad. There is an elevator. Breakfast is an additional charge(but not much) and the dining room is quite pretty-the breakfast had rolls, meats, cereals, juices, coffee etc. I booked the hotel via the internet.