Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotels in St. Germaine area of Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-st-germaine-area-of-paris-670172/)

jpickle Jan 14th, 2007 09:17 AM

hotels in St. Germaine area of Paris

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in the St. Germain area of Paris? Or possibly The Latin Quarter? I don't know how much I need to spend. I don't need 5 stars...but clean, neat and great location.

Viajero2 Jan 14th, 2007 09:25 AM

I stayed and recommend the Best Western Left Bank St. Germain Hotel. It is a great location, kind of border 5 and 6 arrondisements. That said, I checked the rates and my jaw dropped; I paid $200/comfortable quadruple in Nov 2003; 2007 rates have skyrocketed. This may be an trend indication, so beware.

I also stayed at the Hotel St. Christophe (Latin Quarter) in June 1997. Loved this hotel!

kerouac Jan 14th, 2007 09:31 AM

For a totally objective list, you can go to www.pagesjaunes.fr and ask for hotels in "Paris 6" -- you will get a list of all of the hotels in the area with links to their websites.

Odin Jan 14th, 2007 09:53 AM

Hotel L'Odeon Michelet is in a great location near St Germain. It is only a 2 star hotel but clean and convenient.

ira Jan 14th, 2007 09:56 AM

Hi Jp,

What's your budget?

What are your requirements?

((I))

risab Jan 14th, 2007 10:02 AM

I stayed in the Hotel California a few years ago in the St. Germain area. The room was recently renovated and immaculate with a good bed and bedding. We had a family room - it had two connecting sleeping areas and one bathroom. It was small- there was shelves for storage space and a small area to hang clothes but it was very clean. The breakfast room was nice and they had a nice spread but it wasn't included. The staff were not very nice but the location was good.
Last year we stayed at the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marias. The staff were lovely and we loved the Marias better than St. Germain. The hotel was less expensive than the Hotel California but had more charm - but was a little worn. Bathroom was larger. We would stay there again in a minute!

madameX Jan 14th, 2007 10:16 AM

The Hotel Crystal on Rue Ste. Benoit was an enjoyable stay. The rooms are a decent size and housekeeping spotless. The bathrooms can be tiny (smallest showers on record) since these are retro-fitted into an old but well-kept building (has an elevator.) Some rooms have larger accomodations. The location is excellent: Rue St. Benoit is right off Blvd. St. Germain, right aroundt he corner from Carfe Flore, and a very short walk to the St. Germain Cathedral, shopping, etc. There is a taxi stand and a metro stop very near. Breakfast (extra charge; a little pricey) is in the basement, but there are also cafes in the area. I hven't been here in a few years (explored other districts over the years,) so it's best to contact the hotel for current rates. Given current exchange rates, I'm sure it's more than one would expect. The staff were always helpful.

I've usually stayed here in cooler months, or when AC was not needed. Not all rooms had AC when last I stayed. The issue: there is a nightclub across the street that gets a little loud in nice weather, when you might want to have open windows. We prefer rooms at the back of the hotel, was blissfully quiet, and very dark when you need it, i.e. you're jet lagged and need a quick nap at mid-day just to function.

jodeenyc Jan 15th, 2007 06:15 AM

Hotel Saint Germain des Pres- 36 Rue Bonaparte. Nice, clean hotel near all attractions and the Metro.

Our trip was off-season (Feb) therefore we were able to stay in the suite which was amazing.

BowenLinda Jan 15th, 2007 06:42 AM

Hotel St. Thomas D'Aquin, on the border of the 6th and 7th. Newly renovated, large (for Paris) and spotless bathrooms, wonderful location.

brewlew Jan 15th, 2007 06:49 AM

Hotel du Danube on the Rue Jacobe. They have a website. I've stayed there long ago - twice - and loved it.

Underhill Jan 15th, 2007 09:44 AM

The Danube is good, but note that it has no a/c--a problem if you're going in the warm/hot months.

grandmere Jan 15th, 2007 06:10 PM

Le Regent on rue Dauphine, in the 6th.