Hotels in St. Germain de Pres

Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in St. Germain de Pres

I'm going to Paris for the first time over Valentine's Day. A friend told me that St. Germain de Pres/Latin Qtr are ideal places to stay. I've reserved a room in that area at Hotel de l'Odeon for about EUR 140 a night. Since then I've read some reviews complaining about how small the rooms are. I realize that this is Europe and hotels/rooms/elevators will be tiny. That being said - does anyone have a recommendation in for me?
Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM

You might try a hotel called St. Thomas d'aquin (Thomas Aquinas), which is in that area. We stayed there about 5 years ago and liked it and the area a lot. Not sure how prices are now, but here's their website.
http://www.aquin-paris-hotel.com/
It was a block from the main street, but quiet, since it was on a small residential street. Our room was fairly big, but I believe they're all different. Good luck. Lovely city, lovely area.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM

Rooms in Left-Bank hotels tend to be small--but you can always ask the hotel for one of their larger rooms and hope for the best.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM

We like the Hotel Stes. Peres in the same area. The rooms are a bit larger than most 3 stars on the Left Bank. We stayed there in May for about EUR150.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM

Please consider the Hotel Le Regent... it was SO quaint and in a perfect location with a wonderful cafe across the street and a fabulous italian restaurant up the block also just a few steps away: a boulangerie & patissierie. Rooms were on the small side but very clean and comfortble. Bathrooms good, hallways narrow. Perfect Left bank hotel! http://www.cybevasion.com/hotels/fra...tel-le-regent/
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:16 PM

I'll second the rec for Hotel le Regent on Rue Dauphine......Have been a frequent guest there for more than 20 years, so I remember it from its "pre-renovation" days ;-) The staff is helpful, the Cafe Buci across the street is a nice stop after sightseeing and the rooms, while on the small side are generally cheerful. Best wishes for a great trip! Dave
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM

I stayed at Villa Pantheon last February. The hotel was located very conveniently for sights and patisseries...not a minor issue for me! The staff was quite helpful and all bilingual (my French is appalling). The room was comfortable, large enough to suit me, great bathroom and an excellent breakfast(meats, fruits, cheeses, bread, yogurt and cereals).
No idea what the prices might be these days particularly with the awful exchange rate.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM

I've stayed in a number of hotels in the general Odeon area, including two stays at the above mentioned Le Regent. I've since "graduated" to renting an apartment in the neighborhood, but my first choice for the money would still be Le Regent. However, if you are concerned with small rooms there, you really do need to opt for the superiors rooms which are not only considerably larger, but move nicely furnished, much brighter, and have larger nicer baths as well. I can assure you the rooms are much, much nicer at Le REgent than at Hotel de l'Odeon, but of course they are also a little more expensive. In my opinion the difference in quality is greater than the difference in price, however.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!!! I've booked a reservation at Hotel Le Regent. Should make for an enjoyable weekend.
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Have a wonderful trip S. Kensington and please visit the Cafe Bucci across the street and have Croque Monsieur and a carafe of wine on their sidewalk for me! BTW, you are a very short walk to Notre Dame and the Seine!
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:53 AM

Just around the corner from Le Regent, off rue Buci on rue Gregoire de Tours is a lovely little restaurant Le Be Bop. We just returned from 4 days in Paris and ate two of our dinners there. Food is excellent (best escargot I've had in a long time) and the piano entertainment plays non-stop until 23:00. Most of the people eating there were locals, but the menu does have English translations underneath each entry. Fresh flowers on every table. Lovely experience.
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:22 AM

I've been staying at Hotel du Lys, on rue Serpente, since I discovered it in '96, and I think it's just wonderful for the price, with lots of charm, super location, clean, friendly, etc. It used to be really inexpensive, but with intro of euro and fall of dollar, it's a bit more now at 110 euro for double, breakfast included. It wins hands down over other Paris hotels I've stayed in: Hotel des Marronniers (great location on rue Jacob and lovely courtyard, but overpriced for what you get, in my estimation), Welcome Hotel (shabby and noisy), Hotel Place des Vosges (shabby at the time, but guess it has been renovated), and Meridien Montparnasse (this was a business trip of my husband's--I'd never choose this-could be any large hotel in any large city).

Anyway, I keep reading on here about other great finds, and I'm wondering if I should venture from du Lys and try some of these others, such as Bonaparte, Le Regent, Muguet, Grande Ecoles, etc. Has anyone who likes these hotels ever stayed at du Lys, for comparison?
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:27 AM
ira

Hi grandmere,

We will be visiting Paris in May. Staying at the Bonaparte. I plan to check out the Hotel du Lys when we are there.
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Ira, I'll be especially interested in what you have to say b/c you seem to love the Bonaparte as I do du Lys. I am staying at du Lys in March, and perhaps I will check out Bonaparte!

Have you seen any of the other lower priced faves on here, such as those I mentioned?
Feb 5th, 2004, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi grandmere,

Have not seen the other places, since we always have stayed at the Bonaparte.

You aroused my interest in the Hotel du Lys, which is why I am going to look into it.

Does it have AC?
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I've never stayed there in summer, either May or March; I don't think it has A/C, and that certainly would be an issue in hot weather. No elevator, but ancient winding staircase. Not a problem for me yet, but down the road. . ., or up the staircase, as it were . . .
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:02 AM
ira

Well,

In a few years you might appreciate the elevator at the Bonaparte.
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Absolument!
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:43 AM

The BW Beloy ST. Germain near the Cluny wqs 109 euros for a superior double including breakfast buffet. large quiet room in the area your looking for St. Germain/Latin quarter. www.lastminutetravel.com
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM

mamc,

I had no luck with a Google search for the Stes. Peres. Is that the exact name, or can you point me in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO