Notices

Hotels in Sorrento, Italy

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 03:13 PM
Rifat Sonsino

Hotels in Sorrento, Italy

We are planning to stay in Sorrento and visit the Amalfi coast in February. We need suggestions regarding transportation from Naples to Sorrento (preferably by train) and hotels in Sorrento.
Thank you.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 07:23 AM
Paul

I just stayed at La Tonnarella, just outside of Sorrento, a few weeks ago. Very, very pleasant - had a wonderful time there, and recommend it. Our room, with sea view and terrace, cost ITL 220,000 with breakfast, ITL 280,000 full board. Their web address is: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/3194/

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 08:35 AM
richard j. vicek

Good afternoon, Rifat
Transportation from Naples to Sorrento
is by railway the CIRUMVESUVIANA RR.
(www.vesuviana.it/
One of these Sorrento sites will also
have schedule of bus service that runs
from Sorrento, down the Amalfi Coast
to Salerno.
(touristicsite.syrene.it/)
(www.sorrentoweb.com)
(www.syrene.it/)
(www.venere.it/) HOTELS
(www.hotelguide.ch/) HOTELS
(www.marketplace.it/pompeionline/)
(www.capri.it/)
(italia.on.web.com.sorrento/index.htm)
(www.starnetd.it/italy/amalficoast/)
has a lot of information for the various cities on teh Amalfi.
Richard of Hickoryu Hills, Il...

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Carol

In 1984 I stayed in the Hotel Bellevue-Syrene, a beautiful and delightful hotel in Sorrento on the cliffs overlooking the bay of Naples. It had a dining room with huge glass windows and a grand terrace which I remember vividly to this day. It was within a few blocks of the town center, Piazza Tasso, which is where I took the local bus down the Amalfi Drive. It stops at Positano and Amalfi, and from Amalfi, you can get the bus to Ravello. I'm sure the hotel's still there. Every now and then I check a guide book to see if it's listed. I think it's a 3-star hotel. (I had a tiny single in 1984 for which I paid $30/night!!)

It's a magnificent area. Have a wonderful time.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Monica Richards

We stayed at the Hotel Desiree in Sorrento--it's about a 15 minute walk uphill out of the town but our view was incredible and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. I think it was only a two-star, so it was cheap, but it was a nice and charming two star!

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 03:53 PM
Mary Beth

I would also recommend LaTonarrella. My husband and I stayed there a year ago October. We had a room with a terrace and a view of Mount Vesuvius and Sorrento. It was beautiful. We had one dinner there and then went into town the other evenings to try different places. It is immaculate, good food, charming.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Maggie

I can update Carol's recommendation for the Bellevue-Syrene. We stayed there in 1997 and it was delightful. Great Staff- particularly the concierge/manager. Free parking. Very good buffet breakfast. And a location which can't be beat. Although prices have gone up a bit since Carol's $30 in 1984 it was still reasonable for the great location. I would opt, though, for a little splurge and get a room on the bayside. We were there in May and sitting on our little veranda sipping wine as the sun set over the Bay of Naples was pretty good!!! It will be a little chillier in February but the view of Versuvius is one of those superb travel experiences....enjoy.