Hotels in Rouen or Giverny

Mar 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Rouen or Giverny

I am planning a day trip out of Paris for my family (2 adults/ 3 children (12,14, 16).
We will be taking a car out of Paris to visit Normandy area and are looking for accomodations for 1 night. We want the hotel on the way back to Paris as we fly out the next day (12 noon). we are considering Rouen or Giverny. Would like other travelers experiences with reasonably priced hotels in these cities.

Thanks in advance!
Mar 20th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Two possibilities for you in Rouen: the Mercure Rouen Centre, which is near the railway station, and the Novotel South, which is just across the river. Probably the Mercure would be best for getting to the TGV station, as you would need to leave between 7 and 8 a.m. to get to CDG 3 hours in advance of your flight.
Mar 20th, 2004, 10:15 AM

The best place to stay for Giverny would be in Vernon, where the train stops. You can check a number of lodgings on the town's web site.
Mar 20th, 2004, 10:17 AM

I just realized that you will have a car. In that case, you could check out small hotels and B&Bs in and around both Giverny and and Vernon. However, I suspect that turning your car in at the train station in Rouen and going from there directly to CDG would be much the easiest way to handle things on the day of your departure.
Mar 20th, 2004, 11:47 AM

In Giverny, I have heard good things about La Reserve and La Musandiere. We ate at a lovely small hotel a few minute walk from Monet's. I think it was called Le Jardin. If I find it I'll post it.
Mar 20th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we are planning to drop the car at the airport thinking it will be the easiest for luggage handling. we had considered a train out to Normandy area (& then a car) or tours, but the cost of the tours for 5 was high & handling the luggage on the trains seemed a challange.
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:14 PM

In that case, I think staying as close to the airport as possible would be a good idea so that you could return the car the evening before your flight and buy a little extra time in the morning. The airport Radisson and Novotel are reasonably priced, and I believe the Marriott isn't too bad either.
Mar 21st, 2004, 03:55 AM

Broc Fontaine is about 1 /2 hr from CDG and 30 min from Giverny. It's a beautful are and great hosts. Deborah is also a great cook. Here's a link:
http://giverny.org/hotels/pivain/
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jabez,

Thank you for the lead on the B&B. We booked our last two nights there and are looking forward to the experience in a different part of the area.

Apr 19th, 2004, 08:13 PM

We had a wonderful lunch in Giverny at a hotel we stumbled upon. We left Monet's house and gardens and were walking about and I followed a dog that I thought was lost. The elderly lady was walking far ahead and it was her dog.
They paused at this doorway that lead to a garden, a Hotel with a very attractive terrace.
"Les Jardins de Giverny."