Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotels in rome and positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-rome-and-positano-103101/)

carol Jan 30th, 2001 03:30 PM

hotels in rome and positano

I am going to the two cities in April can any one recommanded places to stay in these cities? Really need help with Positano

rlk Jan 30th, 2001 03:59 PM

- <BR>Carol, what price range are you considering for you Positano accommadations? <BR> <BR>If you're looking for the moderate/reasonable rates, there are several good places. <BR> <BR>I'd suggest La Fenice, which is a Bed & Breakfast listed in Karen Brown's book (B&B's in Italy). It is located a little further out than some places (approx 1/2 mile walk to 'downtown' Positano) --- however this is part of its' charm, in addition to being perched along the cliffside. If you're booking here, do request one of the rooms "below street level" as they overlook the Mediterrean. In that regard, La Fenice is a bit unusual as the rooms (or actually more apt description are small cottages) are split between being on the upper level ('above road') and the lower section. DO NOTE --- WALKING LOTS OF STAIRS! <BR> <BR>I stayed at La Fenice several years ago, and I can't quote prices as they've increased since then. THINK it's running around 200,000 lire? <BR> <BR>More recently (Apr '99) I stayed at the Villa Rosa, another hotel I found listed in Karen Brown's book (I've found her descriptions to be accurate & very reliable). Although La Fenice is unique & has alot of charm, I preferred the Villa Rosa for its' location. You have to walk a couple flights up to get here -- most of the rooms have a balcony (breakfast served in your room or on your balcony) & you have a view of the Med. Villa Rosa cost 180,000 lire for double (that was '99 prices). <BR> <BR>Of course, there's several high end hotels, most notably 'Le Sirenuse' and 'San Pietro'. Haven't stayed at either; but did have drinks in the lounge of Le Sirenuse which was very lovely & scenic (you guessed it - overlooking the Med). Le Sirenuse is also directly across the street from Villa Rosa.

rlk Jan 30th, 2001 04:12 PM

- <BR>me again, Carol. Here's a website 'Positano on the Web' which does list several of the hotels that I've mentioned in addition to some other good options. <BR>http://www.positanonline.it/welcome_eng.html <BR> <BR>ALSO, I know that La Fenice closes during a few winter months (Jan-Feb, I think), so if you're tring to get a hold of them you may have some difficulty. I don't know if they have a website yet. <BR> <BR>Another couple suggestions: <BR> - Casa Albertina <BR>A three star hotel, well located; have seen several fodorites recommend this hotel (albergo in italiano). <BR> - Eden Roc <BR>A four star hotel -- good location. I've only been in their lobby, but seemed like a decent place. <BR> <BR>As you may surmise, I'm a bit of a Positano-holic. Only been there twice, but the place stays with you.

wendy Jan 31st, 2001 03:34 AM

check out Le Agavi in Postiano. You won't go wrong with this choice.

Susan Jan 31st, 2001 02:11 PM

Le Sirenuse hotel is spectacular but very pricey. My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Le Sirenuse during the month of April. The weather was mid to high 80s. No tourists, some tourists from England. It is very romantic and a place that you will never forget. As you can probably tell, I have a soft spot for Positano and the Le Sirenuse. It is sooo worth the price.

Jana Jan 31st, 2001 07:48 PM

We are planning be in Positano in July and are staying at the Poseidon. Any comments on this hotel?? We want to stay in a nice place--clean/good location.

celine Feb 1st, 2001 01:32 AM

My fiance and I are going to Italy for our honeymoon this July, and I cannot wait. I am also interested in hotels in various places (we're going to Venice, Tuscany, Rome and Positano). <BR> <BR>Carol, the only place we know that we're definitely staying (per our travel agent) is The Villa Franca Hotel in Positano. She highly recommends it. Check out their website: www.villafrancahotel.it <BR> <BR>I love this site and have gathered so much information from it. I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming trips and thanks to all those that have been there and supply us with the info we need!

nancy Feb 1st, 2001 06:17 AM

We stayed in Positano April l998 at the Hotel L'Anchora. It's next door to the Sirenuse, so has the same water views, but no where near as expensive, expecially in April's low-season. Rooms are large and nicely decorated, have small balconies with sea and town views, breakfast is served on a large patio, and they have free parking which is a big bonus in this town. We didn't make reservations ahead, which I wouldn't repeat. Were lucky to get the only available room.