Reload this Page >

Hotels in Rome and Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 1999, 02:19 PM
cheryl

Help! I am looking to book hotels in Rome and Florence for September--some of my choices are already booked--;( such as Loggiato dei Serviti in Florence). Here's what I've found- <BR> <BR>Rome <BR>Hotel Locarno 212,000 single <BR>Grand Hotel Plaza 370,000 single <BR>Hotel dei Mellini 312,000 single <BR> <BR>Florence <BR>Hotel Lungarno 390,000 single <BR>Hotel Pendini 200,000 single <BR>Grand Hotel Minerva (awaiting quote) <BR>Plaza Lucchesi 300,000 single <BR>Hotel Classic (awaiting quote) <BR> <BR>Since my time in both cities is limited to two days each, 8 days touring Tuscany(staying at Hotel Santa Caterina, Siena/La Cisterna San G and Villa Casalecchi, Chianti) with a return to Rome for one before I depart for home-- <BR> <BR>I'm trying to find the best location at the best price to be able to see each city--Lungarno in Florence sounds absolutely wonderful but I'm not certain that I really need to spend all that for a room I won't be in so your thoughts would be a tremendous help--friendly staff and a warm atmosphere since I'm traveling solo is preferred. <BR>molto grazie!

Old May 1st, 1999, 05:12 PM
Kate

When I visitied Florence in October 1996, I stayed at the Hotel Il Perseo (Via Cerranti 1, tel=055 21 25 04, FAX= 055 28 83 77). They have very clean, very un-fancy rooms. Shower and bathrooms are in the hallway. TV is in the lounge. <BR> <BR>The hotel is run by an Australian woman who is helpful and warm. (She even instructed my husband on the type of cold medicine to buy for me when I came down with it.) <BR> <BR>The location is wonderful in the old city only a few blocks or so from the Duomo. It is also walking distance from the train station if your luggage is on wheels. (walk down Via de'Panzani until it becomes Via Cerranti -- the hotel takes up a few floors of a large building. There is an elevator.) <BR> <BR>The hotel was quiet (as quiet as a hotel can be in an italian city) and I felt safe there. <BR> <BR>I checked a guide book and they list the 1999 prices as follows -- Singles L 75,000 to 85,000. It includes an ample breakfast. <BR> <BR>This is a budget traveller's no-frills choice, but the location and the prorietress are pricelss.

Old May 2nd, 1999, 02:46 PM
cheryl

Thanks Kate! I will check it out. Any ideas for Rome? c

Old May 2nd, 1999, 07:03 PM
gpotvin

Try Susan Gustafson's book "Cheap Sleeps in Italy" for suggestions in both cities. WE stayed at Hotel Smeraldo between Campo Di Fiori and Piazza Navonna in Rome for about 160,000L with ensuite shower and toilet, but no breakfast. There are many great inexpensive (for Rome) hotels, just get the guide books that specialize like Rome on $50/day. <BR>

Old May 3rd, 1999, 06:36 AM
Cheryl

We stayed at the Pendini and loved it. We would be staying there again on our upcoming trip, but they were already booked several months in advance. <BR> <BR>In Rome we stayed at the Margutta, and we would stay there again, but I know that others on this site have not been as pleased with it. We found the rooms to be small but spotlessly clean and very quiet, even though it is a noisy area. The price (I believe) was somewhere around $100 USD for a double.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 07:25 AM
Joanne

My three kids and husband and I stayed in two rooms at the Grand Hotel Plaza in Rome last month. It was wonderful. Search for my previous messages, or email me if you have specific questions. And we also stayed at the Loggiato in Florence, and boohoo that it's booked, because it is also a real winner.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 08:21 AM
Mark Hinckley

In 1996, we stayed at the Santa Chiara, which is across the from the Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in the Pantheon's neighborhood. Room was very comfortable, very clean and with a 3/4 bath (spacious and excellent-water-pressure shower, but no tub). Staff were almost all of them able to answer questions in English; you could not find friendlier people. Good beds. The double we had was their std dbl and was 245,000 lire per night if you stayed three nights or more (which we did). Heartily recommend the place.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 02:21 PM
Kate

Cheryl -- On that same 1996 trip, I stayed in part of an apartment near the Piazza di Spagna, home of the famous Spanish Steps. This is an expensive neighborhood, but I found my place via the Let's Go guide! It was owned by the same brothers who own the Pensione Jonella (066 79 79 66, Via della Croce 41), which was fully booked -- so they put me up in the apartment on Via della Croce. It was really terrific and cost me about $70US for a double. Current rates for a single at the Jonella are listed at 60,000L. Of course, I have not stayed there, but my experience with this other property that the brother's owned was a good one. There were some language difficulties, but they amounted to nothing in the long run. <BR> <BR>I love that part of Rome and will definately stay in the area again. There is a nearby metro stop and a dizzying amount of Rome to be explored within walking distance. Only problem -- Vespa noise, but I don't know where to go to avoid that in Rome. <BR> <BR>Let's Go also lists the Pensione Panda (066-78-01-79, Via della Croce 35) in the same area. They say singles there run 80,000 with bath. I never been there, but (and I feel funny saying this here) Let's Go has never let me down in 20 years of travel. <BR> <BR>If you do stay in the area, I can recommend 2 restaurants. They are within two blocks of the hotels above. Both are a little pricey, but wow, what great food. One is the Re Degli Amici (Via della Croce, 33B - 67.95.380). I avoided this place for most of my week-long stay because it was always *packed* with tourists. But when at last I broke down, I understood why -- the food was heavenly, especially the seemingly endless offings of the antipasti bar. And the service was wonderful too. Make a reservation. <BR> <BR>The other is the Trattoria Gigi. I don't have the address, but it is around the corner from the Degli Amici as you head down Via della Croche away from the Piazzi di Spagna and toward the Via del Corso. It will be on your left. Anyway, superb italian food. Funny/gruff italian service. Sit at a table in the street & enjoy.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 03:14 PM
Rich

Joanne, <BR> <BR>I am also going stay at Loggiato and Grand for my honeymoon in July. Is there anything that I should know about before I go to these hotels?

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:42 AM
Joanne

Rich - I think you've chosen well! Loggiato is lovely, in a great location, overlooking Annunziata Piazza, literally back-to-back with Michelangelo's David in the Accademia. To me, it is the quintessential Florentine type of hotel. Staff is wonderful, rooms are lovely, breakfast room and bar wonderful, staircases and corridors are stone with antiques and Renaissance works. I have also stayed at Morandi alla Crocetta, and they are both lovely, but Loggiato will be my hotel whenever possible. <BR> <BR>I consider the Grand Hotel Plaza in Rome to be a real find, because it is not widely known in tourist circles. The two downsides are that it can be (1) noisy on the street if you leave your windows open, which we do, and (2) it has that faded grand dame charm which I love, but some people would find shabby. The staff are also wonderful. The location is very central, and I think, even better than the Spanish Steps area. (Have also stayed at Scalinata di Spagna, and liked it also.) The lobby, ballroom, and breakfast area are really gorgeous. There is a huge marble lion and marble staircases that go up at least to the 4th floor. The elevators are interesting. Our rooms were very large. My three kids were in one high ceilinged room with a couch, easy chairs beds, 2 armoires, and occasional chairs and tables, with a hallway leading to the bathroom. Our bedroom was as large with a similar array of furniture. Interesting light fixtures. There is a rooftop patio which, even in March, was loaded with flowers, white sofas, and wrought iron. When I say that she is an old grand dame, the floors creak, the paint peels in places, the sumptious wallcovering in the ballroom is faded and worn. When we were there, a conference on the historical preservation of Italy for the year 2000 was meeting. I understand why they chose this hotel, since, to me it speaks of Rome. <BR> <BR>Please ask me if you have any other questions about these hotels or Florence and Rome. Congratulations on your marriage!

Old May 4th, 1999, 01:08 PM
Rich

To Joanne, <BR> <BR>Thanks for you wonderful words. I am really looking forward to these hotels. I will try to add to your great descriptions when I get back. <BR> <BR>thank you.

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:20 PM
cheryl

Joanne, Kate, G, Mark-Thanks so much for the input--I have since heard from the Grand Hotel Plaza in Rome and a single is 550,000 per nite. Very grand indeed! I have looked into the guides recommended and hope to make my decision in the next few days--my head's spinning but having a lot fun figuring it all out--I'll keep you posted and let you know what I decide. <BR> <BR>Rich best wishes to you and your bride--enjoy the Loggiato--that was my first choice for Florence and everyone I have spoken to has nothing but wonderful things to say about it. Enjoy and much happiness!

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Dayle

Cheryl, I'll recommend a hotel we stayed at 3 years ago. We were referred by the tourist information office at the Termini Station. The Villa San Lorenzo Maria is outside the historical center of Rome in a residential neighborhood. I NEVER see it listed anywhere or talked about here. But, we loved it. It is the only old building (a palazzo) in the neighborhood, a true Roman hotel. We were the only tourists there as far as I could tell. The desk help did not speak English, but were as helpful as they could be. It was at least a 3 star hotel, private baths,large rooms for Rome, and absolutely quiet! We woke to birds singing in the front courtyard. The only drawback is that it is a ways from the usual sights, but we found it easy to catch the electric tram or the metro. It was under $100/nt. off season. Phone is 446-9990. If everything else is booked, this might work.

Old May 5th, 1999, 05:53 AM
Joanne

Cheryl: For the Grand Hotel Plaza, access their website at www.grandhotelplaza.com <BR> <BR>They still have a summer special listed valid June 20 through September 10, for a 3 night minimum, single or double, breakfast and tax included, for 345,000 lire per night. They also have a "winter" rate of 365,000 for a 3 night minimum.

Old May 5th, 1999, 07:38 PM
cheryl

Joanne--I did request a rate from the Grand Hotel's site--I think the problem is that I'm only spending 2 days in Rome--they came back with 550,000 LIT per nite--I fly out on the 6th arriving on the 7th early am and I was even considering booking from the 6th to try to make the numbers work--but the reality is the number is still pretty steep--I may choose to ignore the numbers on the back end of my trip when I just want to 'plotz', shop and rest before I go home. I'm quickly realizing that 14 days with two of those spent in traveling is not enoughand I can't tell you how many people have raved about this hotel, so believe me if I can find a way--I'll be there--thanks again for the input-c