Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-rome-266843/)

Angela Hirsch Oct 18th, 2002 08:40 AM

Hotels in Rome

We are trying to narrow down our choice of hotel in Rome for next year. Has anyone stayed at the Colonna Palace Hotel recently? Ideally, we are looking to stay in a hotel with a roof garden and within walking distance of the main sites. Any recommendations -- 3 or 4 star hotels -- please???

Wayne Oct 18th, 2002 10:52 AM

Angela---there are several hotels with nice rooftop gardens and/or restaurants, but I know only one personally. It is the Hotel Forum, in the area of the Roman Forum and Circus Maximus. Your desire to be within walking distance of the main sights is probably not going to be fulfilled, because some of the sights (such as the Vatican or Castel Sant'Angelo) are just too remote for an easy walk. A more or less central location for many of the key sights is somewhere around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Trevi Fountain. Lots of things have been written on this forum about hotels in that area.

carol Oct 18th, 2002 12:00 PM

I stayed at the Colonna Palace a couple of years ago. The location is wonderful--the Piazza Montecitorio is a huge pedestrian only plaza, and the hotel faces the beautiful Chamber of Deputies. The roof garden is really a roof terrace--to call it a garden is pushing it--however, the views are great and it's a nice space. We had one of the older rooms which was fairly large for a European hotel, and I understand the renovated rooms are really nice. I'd go back to this hotel in a minute.

carol Oct 18th, 2002 12:01 PM

The hotel is 5 minutes away from the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Trevi, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori--it's in the heart of Old Rome.

Rex Oct 18th, 2002 06:30 PM

You might not actually be looking for more budget priced hotels, but your request for rooftop (view) harks back to an article in National Geographic Traveler earlier this year. Here are some previously posted excertps about it:<BR><BR>Good new National Geographic Traveler magazine<BR> <BR> <BR>Author: Heather ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/29/2002, 10:00 am<BR><BR>Message: The April 2002 issue of National Geographic Traveler has an article on ...<BR><BR>12 Rome hotels under US$135.00. <BR><BR>Author: Capo ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/29/2002, 05:50 pm<BR><BR>Message: I finally got around to looking at that Rome hotels article and it's The Best Rome hotels *with a view* under $135. <BR> <BR>Author: Can't sleep ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/30/2002, 01:26 am<BR><BR>Message: Good point, Capo. And remember, having a good view can mean being at some elevation. Which means climbing down and back up at the end of the day. Inherently less feet-friendly to those who want to traipse around the center of tourist Rome, in some cases.<BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/31/2002, 06:06 pm<BR><BR>Message: Yes. Here's the thread with the list:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1356689<BR><BR>and here's the actual post (with an afterthought added by Sherry):<BR><BR>Author: Boots ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/23/2002, 08:27 pm<BR><BR>Message: 1.Lancelot, www.lancelotrome.it<BR>2.Colosseum, www.hotelcolosseum.com<BR>3. Casa Di Santa Brigida, www,brigidine.org<BR>4. Marcus, www.hotelmarcus.com<BR>5. Parlamento, www.hotelparlamento.it<BR>6. Pensione Barrett, FAX 68-92-97-1<BR>7. Zanardelli, www.hotelnavona.com<BR>8. Lilium, e-mail: [email protected]<BR>9. Alimandi, www.alimandi.org<BR>10. Cisterna, FAX 58-81-091<BR>11. Romae, www.hotelromae.com<BR>12. ?<BR>Though the title said "12," I can only find eleven in the article. Hope this helps.<BR>Boots<BR><BR>=========================== ==========<BR><BR>Author: Sherry ([email protected])<BR>Date: 03/23/2002, 10:55 pm<BR><BR>Message: The last, Hotel Navona is mentioned under the Residenza Zanardelli listing. They are owned by the same family and is nearby, smaller and lower priced. <BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Ann Oct 19th, 2002 05:25 AM

I'll throw this suggestion out. Four of us did a splurge last Spring and stayed four nights at Alberto Del Senato. We thought it fabulous; our rooms looked out at the Pantheon and the piazza, and we took a taxi only once during our stay. Good breakfast, and advice from Guissepi.<BR><BR>Go for it!

oldorch Oct 19th, 2002 06:10 AM

Angela,<BR>I just decided upon the Cesari and will report upon my return in late Jan. When are you travelling?