Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Positano?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-positano-121543/)

Suzanne May 2nd, 2001 04:31 AM

Hotels in Positano?!

My fiancee and I are getting married in Positano this September. Though we know the famous five star hotels of the region are said to be fabulous, we thought we would prefer a (perhaps!) smaller, quainter, more "old world Italian" style hotel. Has anyone stayed at Casa Albertina, Pupetto, Conca d'Oro or L'Ancora hotels? Would appreciate your feedback on these or other hotels in Positano.

Roberta May 2nd, 2001 06:54 AM

Haven't stayed there but I did read (from a couple of folks who did) that they are both superb (Albertina & Pupetto)...I almost selected them myself for our upcoming stay. If I recall correctly, Casa Albertina is in town more than near the ocean...both have sites with photos too. I think you'll be pleased with either.

Diane May 2nd, 2001 07:41 AM

I went to Italy in 1999, and stayed in a wonderful place on the cliffside in Positano called Villa Rosa (you can find pictures if you do an internet search). There are 12 rooms with amazing views, and the rooms have large terraces. It's a 150-year-old place, built into the cliffside. It's on 3 STEEP levels, with no elevator, so only bring the necessities up to your room. <BR>The town doesn't show a hint of tourism and you can eat out, or stop in a shop to pick up your proscuttio, cheeses and wine to eat on your terrace. <BR>From what you described, this sounds perfect for you! Just one bit of advice. As you start climbing the winding cliffside roads in your car, it will becomes a one way road---going up. If you miss the hotel, you'll have to go around the mountain again. It's about a 30 minute drive back to where you need to be, but on the good side, it's a beautiful drive.

Karen May 2nd, 2001 11:19 AM

I stayed at the Casa Albertina several years ago. The hotel is built on the cliff so you have to walk up alot of step to get to the lobby. So while the view is great, you need to be ready to walk alittle. The rooms were nice and we had a terrace overlooking the water. Ask for a room away from the elevator to ensure a better night's sleep.

Suzanne May 2nd, 2001 05:50 PM

Thanks for your responses thus far! Of course, any bit of info helps. Villa Rosa sounds terrific, but I don't think our parents will appreciate the STEEP climbs. Also, thanks for the referral to the websites of a few of the hotels. We had checked them out... and well, photos are great, but don't tell the kind of stories that your comments do. Keep them coming! We truly appreciate all your helpful comments and, in turn, will offer the same for others upon our return!

Tina May 2nd, 2001 10:37 PM

Suzanne: <BR> <BR>Positano is an incredibly beautiful & picturesque town perched on the side of the Amalfi coast. I adore Positano. <BR> <BR>But Suzanne, you do understand that there is very little flat terrain in Positano? You mentioned concern re: your folks. As you walk around town, you're either climbing up a set of stairs or down or up an incline. This is the type of place for people who enjoy being on a stairmaster. <BR> <BR>There may be some hotels that are on the street level or have an elevator. When I was there last (Apr-99) I stayed at Villa Rosa, which I enjoyed. But as Diane said, you gotta climb stairs. <BR>Another smaller hotel is La Fenice, which have some wonderful rooms that overlook the Mediteranean. But again, stairs --- actually La Fenice has more stairs than Villa Rosa, if you stay on the "lower" section and then have to climb up for your morning breakfast. <BR> <BR>