Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotels in paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-paris-63636/)

jsaras Feb 24th, 2000 06:11 PM

hotels in paris?

I will be visiting Paris for the first time this July...so will be wanting to see all the major attractions. From what I can tell the 6th or the 7th is the place to stay, proximity-wise. Can anyone give me hotel recommendations for either of these areas? Looking for moderately priced accomodations (not cheap but not luxury either) and would prefer a "french" hotel (ie family owned or some such) rather than a chain <BR> <BR>Also, i've researched a few already: Hotel Bersolys, Hotel Muguet, Hotel L'Abbaye, Familia. Has anyone stayed in these? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance.

Bob Bllrown Feb 24th, 2000 07:05 PM

The first two hotels that you name have received good reviews in these pages. <BR>I don't know about the other two. <BR>You might want to consider a hotel that has air conditioning! For that reason, I say that if you can get a room with a/c at the Muguet -- grab it now before it goes to someone else. <BR> <BR>We visited Paris in September, and could have used air conditioning. We were not sweltering, but it rained a lot and the a/c would have helped make the room more comfortable. As it was we slept with the windows open. Fortunately we had a room away from the street. It looked out over a school playground, so there was plenty of activity starting fairly early in the morning until dark. But it was not bothersome noise at all; in fact it was the sounds of happy children at play. Street noise is a different story. The ambulances, fire trucks and police cars roar up and down main streets with noisy and frequent irregularity. <BR>We ate outside at Bistro de la Gare which is on Boulevard Montparnasse. <BR>It seemed like every 5 minutes something noisy was coming by with horns or "sirens" blasting.

elaine Feb 25th, 2000 04:46 AM

Hi <BR>The hotels Muguet, Familia, and L'Abbbaye have all been highly <BR>recommended in this forum. If you do a search on their names you will find the previous postings. I have stayed in the 6th, and most often in the 1st, which I find equally convenient, though some people disagree. The 1st is definitely less "neighborhoody". <BR> <BR>If you have any interest in my Paris notes which include websites, sightseeing, daytrips, and transport, <BR>feel free to email me. <BR>Enjoy your trip

Margo Apr 27th, 2000 08:03 AM

MUGUET: 11, rue Chevert. Tel: 0147050593. Fax: 0145502537. Web site: http://www.hotelmuguet.com/ E-mail: [email protected] (45 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 530F/81EUR single; 575F/88EUR (double bed)-615F/94EUR (2 twin beds); 810F/123EUR triple. Air-conditioned. Breakfast (6:30-10am) at 50F pp can be served in the room & in the garden in warm weather. Visa, MC, AX. English spoken, cable TV w/CNN, wonderful country-style charming hotel w/nicely furnished carpeted modern rms., #19 (large rm. w/double bed) at 575F; 52, 51 (both large rms. w/views of Eiffel Tower & #53 (view of Invalides) have balconies; #54 has view of the Invalides; #62, 61 (both w/ceiling windows & views of Eiffel Tower) & 63 (ceiling window w/view of Invalides) are all large attic rms. w/double beds & large bathrooms; #11 (large rm. faces front) & 14 (small rm.) both w/2 twin beds at 615F for a double & 810F for a triple; rooms for triple either have 3 twin beds or 1 double bed & 1 twin bed; soundproofed, hair driers, landscaped sunny patio, elevator, which only goes to the 5th flr., 6 flrs. Owned/managed by Catherine Pelletier. Métro: École Militaire. <BR>

Caitlin Apr 27th, 2000 08:55 AM

We recently stayed at the Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg, two blocks from the Jardin. It's in the 5th, but right on the border with the 6th, in an excellent location. It's on a quiet cul-de-sac, has just 27 rooms, is very chrming, and very "French." A double with a large, beautifully-tiled bath was 810FF, and it does have A/C. You can have a look on either www.travel-in-Paris.com or www.pariserve.com, and there have also been many other positive reviews on this forum. Desk staff speaks English.