Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence-Hotel Fenice Palace or Carolus Hotel

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Kathy

Hi - We leave 5/20 for Italy and had much difficulty finding available hotels for Florence. Has any one stayed in either Hotel Fenice Palace or Carolus Hotel? Are you familiar with their neighborhoods? Are they safe? Quiet? Also, has any one stayed at Hotel Duomo?

thanks much in advance!
Kathy

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Mel

Stayed in the Fenice Palace about 8 years ago, so I don't know how it's held up, but we liked it very much. The location is great. Small hotel just a few doors from the Duomo and an easy walk from the train station. A few little neighborhood pizza-type restaurants one block each way were very good.

The rooms were not terribly small by European standards, the bathrooms were nice, the excellent breakfast (included) was served in the small bar off the lobby and was one of the best varieties I've had. The front desk help was really friendly. The elevator was a one person, squeeze your bag in job. I'd stay there again.

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you by any chance stay at the Carolus Hotel? We'll be in Florence in early April & this is the hotel we're tentatively booking, so any feedback would be wonderful!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:26 PM

For gshlaw -

I don't have experience with Carolus, but there are reviews at tripadvisor.com and venere.com if you haven't seen them yet.

If you're not opposed to the idea, there is a wonderful upscale B&B very near the Duomo: Tourist House Ghiberti. They are also reviewed on tripadvisor and venere.

Claudio operates THG (in my opinion) much like a boutique hotel - lots of help with museum, dinner, transportation reservations and walking directions around town. He is also very responsive to email queries.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM

We too stayed at the Fenice Palace about 7 years ago and agree with what Mel said about the hotel. However, we were at first shown a horrible room in the basement. After we refused it we were put in a nice room higher up with a small, square window high up on the wall with a lovely, distant view of the Duomo. Then I came down with the flu for 5 days and nobody at the desk even asked my husband if I was dead or alive when I never left the room or ordered room service!