Hotels in Nice: Primotel or Gounod?

Mar 25th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Anna

Hotels in Nice: Primotel or Gounod?

Hello, we are trying to decide on a hotel for our 6 night stay in Nice. Our budget is around US$100 and by reading this forum, the Primotel Suisse and the Hotel Gounod both seem to meet our needs. My impression from the posts is that the Primotel has a better location with a view, but the Gounod is more comfortable & charming. Does anyone have any comments that will help us make our decision?

I have just an observation that there aren't very many Nice hotel recommendations on this board, apart from the very expensive ones (Perouse, Negresco?). If anyone knows of any other $100 hotels, centrally located, that have something special going for it (view or charm) I would love to hear it. There don't seem to be as many raves as for Paris hotels, for example. Thank you for any help.

Mar 25th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Mara

Hi Anna - I stayed at the Primotel Suisse last Nov. I had a room with balcony with a little table and 2 chairs on it - it was comfortable and convenient to the Old Town - you could cut right thru to the main bus and train stations as well. I figured as long as I was in the Riviera that I wanted to be right on the water! My usual hotel is more of a ** in Paris or London so the *** Primotel was great for me!

Mar 26th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Anna

Thank you for your reply Mara. It sounds like the Primotel is in a terrific location. Anyone else have any experience with these hotels, the Gounod?

Mar 26th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Meme

Yes, we stayed at Primotel Suise this past June. If you can get an upper floor facing the bay you will love the view, it is spectacular and just as good as the expensive hotel next door. Our room was comfortable and perhaps a bit more than basic. We definitely loved the location near old Nice and mostly the flower/food market. Go for it. I may have stayed at the Gounod -- If the Gounoud is the hotel where you can go next door to use the rooftop pool at the Hotel Splendid, then that was the best part.

If you don't need luxury but want good value I would recommend the Primotel. I would definitely stay there again.

Meme

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Jean

Stayed at the Gounod for 8 days last Sept. Nice hotel, nothing fancy but has charm (marble floors, sweeping staircase), no view though. We had a very nice room with a fridge, bath & shower, queen bed & A/C. The people were very nice there.

Breakfast is included in the price but if you stay a certain amount of time (4days?) it is Free. Breakfast included beverage, scrambled eggs, sausages, assorted breads, ham, cheese, cereal, served buffet style. Nice to have a hot breakfast, since most less expensive hotels do not offer this.

It's an easy walk to "restraunt row", the bay of angels, the old city & the train station.

You do get to use the ammenities at the Splendid next door, such as their rooftop pool, bar, restraunt. The pool is supposed to be open until midnight, we went over there our first night at about 7pm and the desk clerks were RUDE with a capital R. When we got up to the pool the Bartender was even worse. Everynight we had a slip of paper under our door inviting us to their restraunt, and getting special pricing or a freebi since we were staying at the Gounod. Never went back over there though.

We are hoping to get back to Nice this fall again, and I am either going to stay at the Gounod, because of their service and friendly staff. Or try the Windsor because they have a beautiful garden.

PS: If you drink wine we found a great bottle over there; Chateau Minuty, the rose & white. You can get it in the Galleries Lafayette, and most wine shops. About $11, unfortunatly no one imports it. We drank about 7 while we were staying there (plus plenty of other wine during lunch, supper, at the beach. . . )

Mar 27th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Anna

Thank you everyone for your replies; they were most helpful. Mara & Meme, you made the spectacular views of the Primotel sound irresistable so I decided to "go for it" and have booked a top floor balcony room facing the water. I can hardly wait! I'm glad to know that the room itself is comfortable enough and good value.

Jean, I did not see your post before I made my reservation, but thank you for that most excellent detailed review of the Gounod. It sounds like a good choice as well, and the breakfast certainly a bonus. I would love to stay there if I am fortunate enough to visit Nice again. The Chateau Minuty sounds wonderful; it is definitely on my list of must-dos.

Thanks again everyone!

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Mara

Anna - Just took a look at the Gounod website - still feel the location of Primotel Suisse rules! You really should be on the water! You made the right decision. Have a great stay!

Mar 28th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Chris

Do you have an e-mail address for the Primotel Suisse? Thank you.

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Anna

Hi Chris, this is off of their letterhead:

Tel: 33 (0) 492.17.39.00
Fax: 33 (0) 493.85.30.70
email: [email protected]

If you phone or fax them, leave out the "0" when dialing. Good luck.