Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Munich? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-munich-89730/)

Allison Oct 12th, 2000 06:18 AM

Hotels in Munich?

I am looking for a hotel in Munich during January. I want it centralling located, easy access to the trains, walking distance to shops and restaurants. It's a one night visit, so we want to be close to things....Schwabing? Marienplatz?..Help!

Paige Oct 12th, 2000 06:30 AM

I'd recommend staying around Marienplatz, the Viktualienmarkt or Odeonsplatz (they're very close to each other). Personally I don't care for the area around Hauptbahnhof (the main train station). The train network in Munich is excellent, so chances are wherever you stay you'll be near a station. Schwabing is the university neighborhood so it has lots of restaurants and shops and a few really busy streets; Marienplatz is the 'center' of town (and a pedestrian area) so it's near a little of everything. There are zillions of shops, department stores, restaurants, etc around Marienplatz.

chris Oct 12th, 2000 08:49 AM

There is a hotel located right at the Hauptbahnhof in Munich. I believe (but cannot remember for sure) that it is called the InterCity. The rooms are nice and large. Last year the price during the week was about $150, less on weekends. I do agree with Paige on her comments about that general area of the city. I do not feel that it was unsafe, it just had little, if any charm. It was easy walking distance to many sites and easy access to the subway. We felt, however, that the convenience of being right at the Hauptbahnhof (translate: not having far to haul luggage, no taxis, easy access to everything, easy arrival/departure) by far outweighed the "charm" issue. We spent 3 nights there and would do it again. Our German relatives suggested the hotel to us for all the reasons I mentioned above.

gina Oct 12th, 2000 12:25 PM

Allison: Literally steps away from the Hauptbahnof is a very nice hotel called the Eden Wolff. I highly recommend it and it sure does have a great restaurant. A little farther away but still convenient is the Uhland. It is very comfy and has the best breakfast I have ever seen in Europe anywhere.

Sandra Oct 12th, 2000 06:56 PM

Allison, <BR>If you stay near the Haupbahnhof, be prepared. The neighborhood, is "seedy" to say the least, with sex shops and "All Nude Table Dancing!" That said, the Maritim is just 1/2 block from the train station and it is an excellent hotel.

John Oct 12th, 2000 07:11 PM

I highly recommend Hotel am Markt, located on the Victualien Markt near Marienplatz. I am a retired opera singer, but when I was singing, I stayed there everytime I sang in Munich. I have not been back now for more than 10 years, but I called them the other night, because I will be there in June on my way to Rome, and they recognized my name immediately. The owners are opera lovers and know everything about everybody in town. Many singers and musicians stay there because it is convenient and you will probably be breakfasting with many performing artists. Double with bath is DM 170. It's charming, delightful and wonderfully located. Look for my picture on the wall behind the desk.

Carolyn Jan 14th, 2001 06:59 AM

I highly recommend the Munich Marriott in Schwabing. It was a beautiful hotel, a block from the train station in a great area. We got a great on-line deal of $115 a night, which included full breakfast for 2.

Sue Jan 14th, 2001 07:18 AM

The Europaischer Hof is right across from the train station, recommended by others on this site (do search). Website http:www.heh.de/e/ I really like to be close to the train station when I am traveling by train. It is supposed to have a great breakfast (another of my husband's favorite). It is a block or so to Karlsplatz and Herty's dept. store (my husband's favorite) and on down the main drag to Marienplatz. In one night you cannot hope to see everything, so save yourself the time of shlepping out and back in a taxi. (We are staying there in May.)

emily Jan 14th, 2001 09:11 AM

If you really want to be close to the action go for the Hotel Platzl which is across the street from the Hofbrauhaus.You can very easily walk to the Victualienmark, the aldstat(old town) and all the other big sites from here.