Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels In Munich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-munich-166404/)

Adam Mar 2nd, 2002 05:19 PM

Hotels In Munich

I'm looking for some hotels that are reasonable in the Munich Allstadt area for a 3 nite stay in mid-June. I have looked at both the Exquisite and the King's Hotel ... any feedback on either of them? <BR><BR>One problem I have is I'm with my wife and 2 teenage boys so we need 2 doubles .. Im used to in the USA getting a large room with 2 double beds. In Europe it seems I'll need two 2bl rooms. Ughh.

XXX Mar 3rd, 2002 07:06 AM

Adam,<BR><BR>Try muenchen-tourism.de. This will provide a very large list of hotels in Munich. Check them out, and then check out Rants and Raves, or do a search of Munich Hotels.<BR><BR>XXX

Wayne Mar 3rd, 2002 08:09 AM

Adam--<BR>I'm sure that looking at a big choice of hotels is a very good idea, but if you want to go to one that I have really enjoyed, that is well located and is not too expensive, try the Admiral Hotel. It's within an easy walk of all the downtown attractions.

Manny Mar 3rd, 2002 09:39 AM

Adam,<BR>Two other web sites to try for hotels are:<BR>www.hrs.de<BR>www.aaahotels.net<BR>Also try www.frommers.com for more ideas on Munich. They also have their hotel recommendations like Fodors.<BR>Manny

Mary Susan Mar 11th, 2002 06:45 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton City Center? We have enought points for a free night there and are thinking of staying there after we land from SF and before we head toward Italy. I understand there is a train stop under the hotel?

Paige Mar 12th, 2002 01:39 AM

Yep, the Rosenheimer Platz S-bahn stop is right by the hotel. It's about a 15 minute walk to Marienplatz or 2 stops on the S-bahn.

Dick Mar 12th, 2002 03:18 AM

Just returned from Munich on Sunday. Stayed at the Hotel Torbrau, next to the Isartor, about a five minute walk from the Marienplatz. The hotel was very comfortable and modern even though it claims to be the oldest hotel in Munich (not the same building, of course). We paid 155 Euros - about $140 - for a double, but I would guess the rate will be somewhat higher in June.

Maggie Mar 12th, 2002 09:27 AM

Dick,<BR>Was your room at the Torbrau very small? I'm thinking of reserving there but had read somewhere that the rooms were rather small. Just curious. Also, did you notice the Hotel Schlicker in the vicinity? Am also considering that. Thanks.<BR>Maggie

Dick Mar 12th, 2002 11:16 AM

Maggie - The room was smallish by American standards, but about average for what I am used to in Europe. There was the usual German double bed arrangement with about 3-4 ft on each side - counter with color TV along the window side and about 5 ft at the foot of the bed plus an alcove with a small table and two chairs. Ample closet space on the other side of the bed. The bathroom was fine - double sinks, modern plumbing, etc. The shower stall (no bath) was very small - again typical for my experiences in Europe - but perfectly adequate. The staff were friendly and attentive and the place is overall modern and clean. We really didn't spend any time in the room except to sleep, so the size was fine - and the location was absolutely great. It's also quite easy to get to (we were driving), which is a consideration in Munich. Also quite close to the Hofbrauhaus, if you're into that sort of thing (I am). Sorry, don't know anything about the Schlicker.

jean Mar 13th, 2002 06:08 AM

Last year stayed at the Holiday Inn North-in Schwabing. Not in the city center, but walk one block to the bus stop, and you can go anywhere you want. It was great, that is where I will stay again this year. It is VERY EASY to get around Munich, all you need to know is how to read a simple subway map and you will never get lost while you are there.

drmjm Mar 13th, 2002 04:02 PM

I've been researching the same question for a week for our trip in mid-May and a family group of 7. Just last night found the "Econtel Munich" which says it's family rooms sleeping up to four adults. There is a website, color pictures, and it looks good from the distance. http://www.juwel-hotels.de/html/eng/Muc/

Doug Mar 28th, 2002 11:26 AM

I hate to even say this but the Holiday Inn Munich North let's you put 4 in a pretty big room. Very typical Holiday Inn clean, etc. Pretty boring but for 3-4 people great value.

Linda Mar 29th, 2002 05:24 PM

I have been able to get the Renaissance Munich which is part of the Marriott chain on two different Saturday nights in July for $45 each nignt through Priceline. This hotel is in the Schwabing district. It is listed as a three star hotel.

Bob Brown Apr 14th, 2002 07:24 PM

I stayed at the Astoria Hotel on Nicolaistrasse in Schwabing 5 nights last year and I liked it. In fact, we are headed back there again.<BR><BR>The room we had was large and the beds were ok to good. The bathroom was adequate if somewhat long and narrow. At least the shower was good and the "recepticle" was in a little separate room with its own door for privacy.<BR>There was a desk and a balcony, with a big door we could open for ventilation tthat locked down in a slightly open position.<BR><BR>And the breakfast was fabulous plus.<BR>Great selection of all kinds of goodies.<BR>Cheeses in profusion, meats, breads of all kinds, jogurt, fruits, beverages, cereals, sweet stuff, and eggs. I stuffed myself.<BR><BR>

Bill Apr 15th, 2002 10:24 AM

Try the Hotel Kriemheld -<BR><BR>http://www.kriemhild.de/index_e.html<BR><BR>We got a room for 4 there for our upcoming trip in June. It has very positive comments from other Fodor's users (go to the hotel reviews).