Notices

Hotels in Madrid and Barcelona

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 11:15 AM
c hanson

Hotels in Madrid and Barcelona

We are traveling to Madrid and Barcelona and would like some suggestions on hotels. We like smaller, local hotels rather than larger chain hotels. We prefer a 4 star. Thanks!

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Art

We stayed at the Mora Hotel in Madrid. I don't know its star rating but it was very nice and clean. There is a resturant attached to it where we had a couple of very nice meals. It is located accross the street from the Prado Museum.
We stayed at the Derby Hotel in Barcelona, off of the Verticl(sp) Diagonal. It is not real close to La Ramba but a close bus stop on line no 59 takes you right to La Ramba.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Patrick

We just got back from Madrid where we spent three wonderful nights at Hotel Villa Real, on a tiny "square" and facing the Neptune fountain -- couldn't be a better location. Our room (a standard) was a mini suite with a separate sunken (3 steps down) living room with sofa, TV, desk, etc. and opened onto the square with double French doors. The room was beautifully furnished in classic furniture and had a large and luxurious marble bath. It is a five star hotel (I think rather recently upgraded from a four star.) Our rate was 26,000 per night (about $130 US) including wonderful buffet breakfast. I had booked about 10 months ago directly with them by email. Their publicity lists rooms starting at 46, 000. When we checked out the guy at the counter did a double take at our bill, so I asked him if we had gotten a very good rate. He replied we had indeed, as that room is normally more than double what we paid, and breakfast is not included. My main point here is that it really pays to book directly and as far ahead as possible, as we apparently got a very limited promotional rate. It is a fairly small hotel with a lot of character (including their displayed collection of Greco-Roman artifacts throughout the hotel). In the future, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Madrid -- even if double the price. In Barcelona we stayed (for the second time) at the Hotel Royal on the Ramblas. It is a very nice smallish 4 star but pretty modern, not necessarily what one would describe as "full of character."

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 01:43 PM
Maira

I second the Hotel Mora suggestion, although it is not a 4-star, more like a 3....

Use the Search function as there has been quite a number of posts with details about this hotel. Feel free to e-mail me is any questions.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Senor Frijole

Strongly recommend the Sol Melia Castilia - WONDERFUL hotel, and GREAT service and the breakfast buffet will take you breath away. See more at:

http://www.solmelia.es/cgi-bin/solme...otelhtml?12804