Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Luxembourg City (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-luxembourg-city-260818/)

Scott Sep 24th, 2002 10:34 PM

Hotels in Luxembourg City

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these three hotels in Luxembourg City?<BR><BR>1- Hotel Restaurant Italia<BR>2- Hotel Bristol<BR>3- Hotel Carlton<BR><BR>They seem to be about the same as far as price goes but beyond that it is hard to determine which one to choose. Or maybe you know of another reasonably priced place to check out.<BR>Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks

Dick Yeager Sep 26th, 2002 06:27 AM

Scott,<BR><BR>I'm topping this for you since very little information seems to be available about Luxembourg City.<BR><BR>In a way, the lack of information is a good thing....fewer tourists. It's such a beautiful city. We plan to spend a couple of nights there, probably in 2004.<BR><BR>You might want to keep topping until you get some response.<BR><BR>Dick

Scott Sep 28th, 2002 04:45 PM

Thanks I hope you enjoy it when the time comes.

xxx Sep 28th, 2002 11:20 PM

t

t Oct 1st, 2002 11:31 PM

t

SA Oct 2nd, 2002 04:23 AM

There is a very nice Best Western right across from the train station. It ended up being a great location for us as we did several day trips from there & had no car. Check it out on Best Western Int'l. (Best Westerns in Europe are nothing like they are in the states & we use them frequently when traveling over there).

David Oct 2nd, 2002 09:27 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Schintgen for one night in early spring of ’98. Enjoyed Luxembourg City so much that I returned for 2 nights in May of ’01. Stayed at the Hotel Schintgen again. I paid around 75USD a night in ’01. <BR><BR>It’s a nice, clean hotel in a great location. Had a small, fifth floor room with a view towards the valley that cuts through the center of Luxembourg. The gentleman who wrote the Luxembourg national anthem was born many years ago in the building. I believe it had the tiniest bathroom I’ve ever been in. If I moved my hips more than two inches I touched the wall or the sink through the shower curtain. I’d start laughing while thinking that the shower curtain loved me more than many people I know. :-) The toilet was in a separate WC, water closet, which really was a closet. <BR><BR>The Schintgen is right across the street from the Hotel Grand Cravat that is the grand, old dame hotel for the city. I’d read that members of the Luxembourg parliament will meet there for drinks. Can’t say as I’d recognize any of them, but I sure did enjoy drinking in the pleasant, and eating in the Cravat’s excellent restaurant. <BR><BR>Easy walking distance from the hotel was the main cathedral, the prime minister’s residence and the ancient fortified battlements. If your legs are up for it do the “Wenceslas Walk: 1,000 years in 100 minutes.” It was worthwhile to see the sites along the way and the museum and churches in the valley. If you are there at the right time of the year you can tour the royal residence, unfortunately I wasn’t.<BR><BR>I highly recommend the city and echo the sentiments of the poster above: fewer responses may mean fewer tourists when you get there.<BR>

t Oct 2nd, 2002 09:26 PM

t

t Oct 7th, 2002 10:33 AM

t