Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in London - choices (JW Marriott, Rathbone, Leonard, Academy)

Sep 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi

For those in the know, which of the above would be your choice? This is for three nights.

JW Marriott Grosvenor House on Park Lane. I can get the friends and family rate for 140 pounds a night.

Rathbone hotel near Tottenham Court road tube - 120 or so pounds a night. http://www.rathbone-hotel-london.com/index.php

Academy Hotel (part of the Eton Collection) in roughly the same price range. Bloomsbury, near the British Museum (and near the Morgan hotel where I stayed in February). http://www.theetoncollection.com/LondonHotels.aspx?m=h

Leonard Hotel, near Oxford Street, same range as above. http://www.theleonard.com/

I don't think I can go wrong with any of them, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific opinions. Many thanks.
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Academy, stayed there in May. Very nice. Gracious service (beelhop carried in my bags), comfortable beds, nice bathroom, in-suite CD player with Ipod connection, no street noise, very nice breakfast room with good food (bit pricey though ~11GBP). They also have a conservatory/bar that I never did make it too that looked nice in the pictures. In suite mini-bar.

I had a single so the room was not overly large.

I had forgotten a power adaptor and aksed for one but they did not help out much.

I liked their touch of giving me business cards with my room phone # on it. Reception is a desk in the front lobby where you sit and chat with receptionist.

Location is good, used Goodge or Tottenham Ct Tube stations

From there I walked to City, Thames, St Paul's, Covent Garden (longer walks).

British Museum is short walk away, a few parks nearby. Plenty of snack/coffee places on Tottenham Ct. Road. A very good Thai restaurant about 2 blocks away, and a restaurant area with multiple choices on nearby Charlotte St (Indian, Mexican,French etc..). Some pubs also just round the corner.

I got an Expedia deal on flight hotel and would go back.
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Can you get friends and family rate in the Renaissance Chancery Court on High Holborn, part of Marriott Group? If so, you might want to look into it. It's by far my favorite hotel in London.
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michel, excellent information and what I was hoping to read.

Cathinjoetown, I can get the rates... why is it your favorite?
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM

I would opt for the JW Marriott which has just been refurbished from top to bottom. I have stayed at the Chancery Court and prefer this Mayfair location (particularly at that rate). The Marriott will provide you with a good sized room, great bed and bathroom.
Sep 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM

All four are absolutely fine. But the Grosvenor House is in in a different league. If you can get that rate, that is the one I'd choose. The Chancery Court would be good too.
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Excellent replies, thanks!

I'm leaning to the JW Marriott although Chancery Lane looks nice as well. From what I remember of Park Lane, the area is quiet (I stayed at the Dorchester several years ago). I don't usually visit this area, however, so it's mostly new territory to me.

Since I mostly prefer to walk when I sightsee and given that I'd like to get to know this neighborhood a little rather than stay in it by night and leave it by day, anything unique to seek out within a one/two mile walk of this hotel? I have tons of guidebooks (oh, you just don't know...!) but any opinions would be nice.

Thanks!
Oct 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM

I have been to London many times and must say that in my experience, accommodation in London is probably the worst in Europe. Over-priced, overcrowded with morose, unfriendly staff that can hardly speak a word of English. The service industry (eg restaurants, hotels) needs a complete revamp. The public transport system in London is fabulous and I absolutely love the city BUT finding good, reasonably priced accommodation in London is like finding a needle in a haystack. We have just got back from staying in The Tavistock Hotel and although the location was good, the staff (in particular the breakfast room staff) were unbelievably rude. Guests there are treated like cattle and the rooms are so small you can barely swing a cat in the place. However, the rooms are, at least, kept clean which is an improvement on the previous few hotels I have stayed.
Oct 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM

There was a longish link on the JW Marriott Grosvenor House recently which included information on the area behind (ie away from Park Lane
Oct 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM

Sorry pressed the wrong keys. The additional information was on the walkability and links with tube lines and local eateries and useful shops. Certainly convenient for the US Embassy.
Oct 1st, 2009, 04:31 AM

Salstar, you really DO need to find a different hotel and there are several in London I could recommend where the staff actually does speak a language even you could understand.

And what is this rant about "rudeness"...define the term...not dropping down on their knees when you walk in is hardly "rude."
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:04 AM

Chancery Court is my favorite London hotel and possibly my favorite overall because of service, cleanliness, large, well-appointed rooms and baths, value for money (particularly if you can get a special weekend rate or similar) and location.

The hotel, in the former Sun Life Assurance building, has retained many of the original features including the courtyard, marble and brass staircases, conference room stained-glass doors (which are now guest rooms) etc. It's not a small hotel but it has the "feel" of a small hotel.

My only issue would be cost of meals and drinks but that's easily overcome as there are many restaurants in the area. Do have a drink in the bar (I've seen Alan Rickman there among others). It was used in a breakfast scene in the last Bourne film.
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:13 AM

Dukey, I've been reading your rather brash and ignorant comments to a variety of people on this forum and from the sound of it, you could quite easily get a job as a waiter in one of the miriad of second rate Hotels in London you so proudly defend!
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM

My oh my! You join and w/i 2 days are already in attack mode? OK, is this just a new screen name for a certain well known member who has been banned 3 or 4 times?

If not, perhaps (just perhaps they were rude in return????
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Back to the regularly scheduled posting:

Thanks again for the excellent/useful comments.

I had reserved the JW last night but then upon second thought decided I wanted to be somewhere a little more buzzy. I just cancelled, and reserved the Chancery Court location. I think it's much more central to where I'll be spending more of my time. I just recall the Park Lane area to be a bit of a snooze. Elegant, lovely, and so on - but not exciting.

A few days ago I was still considering the Rathbone but I think the Marriott will be very nice. Incidentally I found out that taxes are not included in the quoted price, so it will be more like 160 pounds a night - but that is still pretty good for 5 stars (I believe it is?) and a good location.

Thank you again.
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM

You'll really like the Chancery Court. Good decision.
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM

Can anyone tell me more about the Marriott Friends and Family rate?
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM

Flygirl--I think you will love it. Believe it is a four-star but certainly has 5-star service. Any chance you can talk your way onto the the club floor--the complimentary breakfast is bountiful and hors d'oeuvres and desserts are served in the evening? Free non-alcoholic drinks, water, coffee, tea all day.

Covent Garden is practically just out the door.

nvl, I think for the friends and family rate you have to be just that, friends or family of Marriott employees.