Hotels in Istanbul and Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 retired women who are taking a cruise in October from Istanbul to Athens. We would like to stay 2 nights in Istanbul at the beginning of the cruise and 2 nights in Athens at the end.

Does anyone have suggestions or advice on hotels which would be convenient and safe for us. We have never been in either city before!

Thank you.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 02:33 PM

In Athens stay central, either close to Syntagma Square or Monastiraki Square. Either one will put you close to the Plaka and to the Parthenon on the Acropolis. Both are on the Blue Line Metro to the airport and Monastiraki is also on the Green line to Piraeus where cruise ships dock. Don't know what your budget will be but check the Grand Bretagne Hotel, King George Hotel, Pan Hotel, Arethusa Hotel, Metropolis Hotel, Amazon Hotel, Plaka Hotel, Magna Grecia Hotel, Attalos Hotel and Central Hotel.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 05:32 PM
WWK

It would be helpful to know your budget. Our favorite hotel in Athens is AVA Hotel and Suites in The Plaka. It's very central for exploring Athens. The Acropolis is about a ten minute walk from the hotel, Hadrian's Arch about five minutes, Syntagma Square about 15 minutes. The hotel is extremely popular, so if you're interested, book soon and ask for a room on the same side as the hotel's main entrance. Rooms higher up often have small terraces with views of The Acropolis.

If that's too much $$, also look at Athens Gate, but ask for a room at the back of the hotel, since rooms at the front face a busy main street.

In Istanbul, we really liked SEVEN STARS, which is just across the street from The FOUR SEASONS.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 11:19 PM
mjs

The Four Seasons is terrific for a short time in Istanbul if it is in your budget.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 11:48 PM

Hi

The cruise ship terminal for Istanbul is in Beyoglu - http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...cu_salonu.html. The Fours Seasons Hotel is in Sultanahmet, the Old City. I loved Sultanahmet. There is not much of a nightlife but it's where the tourist sights are. For convenience to the ship and more entertainment/restaurant choices stay in Beyoglu, what they call the "European" zone. It's very easy to take a tram to Sultanahmet from there. In Athens I suggest staying a short walk (especially if you have baggage) to the Monastiraki metro. This connects to Piraeus and also has an excellent, direct train line to the airport. Syntagma Square, Monastiraki, Plaka - they're all good for doing the tourist thing and that's where you want your hotel to be. Good 3 star hotel choices are the Attalos Hotel with its scenic rooftop bar or the lovely neoclassical Cecil Hotel. Both in Monastiraki, just metres from the metro stop.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:01 AM

If OP should stay at the Four Seasons in Istanbul, then i would not recommend a basic 3 stars hotel in Athens such as Attalos or the Cecil which has 2 stars...

Central 5 star hotels are the King George and the Grande Bretagne at Syntagma Square, The Hilton a bit further away but next to a metro station, and only 1 stop from Syntagma Square, and moderate 5 stars either Electra Palace or the Royal Olympic.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:54 AM

Another vote for Athens Gate, which has an excellent location with respect to the Acropolis, the Acropolis museum and the Plaka. The rooms are simple, but the rooftoop terrace, where breakfast is served is wonderful, with beautiful views of the Acropolis and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Nice staff too. I like the location better than Syntagma Square.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:28 AM
WWK

I agree with sandralist. I really prefer The Plaka to Syntagma Square. It's a much livelier area, and closer to most of the main sightseeing destinations.

If it matters, we used to stay at The Grande Bretagne almost every year. Public spaces are gorgeous, but the rooms vary widely in size and view, with many having no view at all for lots of $$$!
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 04:26 AM

We returned from Greece a couple of weeks ago and while in Athens stayed at the Attelos Hotel. It is basic but clean and comfortable. It has a scenic rooftop bar with a direct view of the Parthenon. It is a couple of blocks from Monastraki Square. We were happy with our choice for a short stay.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 06:57 PM

For Athens I would suggest The Plaka Hotel
For Istanbul I would suggest Dersaadet Hotel
Have fun
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 04:19 AM

I stayed in a hotel in Alimos an hour away from Athens by tram. The name of the hotel was the Nefeli Hotel Alimos. I was very dissapointed with the hotel and it was not a cheap booking. The room they advertise on their website looks nice and very comfortable. We booked it but that wasn`t what we were given. We were given a small room with barely enough room to walk around the bed, the bed wasn`t made, the air conditioning was broken and there was no free wifi in the room which we were offered. To make things worse two days into our stay reconstruction began on the floor below us and fumes of solvent and dust began to circulate around our floor. I became very sick, we had to leave the hotel and book into another hotel and I am still very sick.

I thought that this was just one bad hotel but looking around Alimos the hotels are not as fancy as they advertise on their websites although the restauraunts and cafes are very nice. So my very best advice on accomadation in Athens is to book a five star hotel in the city of Athens itself. Having seen the sights in Athens these hotels looked great and I met one family that were very happy with their five star accomadation.

Do spend a lot of time in Athens. The Agora, and the Acroplolis are truely stunning. For a day trip out of Athens you could select a tour to delphi. The scenery is very beautiful and the ancient monuments there are well preserved There is a fantastic museum in Delphi,one of the best I have ever seen.

Make sure you don`t book the Hotel Nefeli Alimos. You made a good choice by planning to go to athens.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 06:56 AM

I second the suggestion of the Dersaadet Hotel in Istanbul; lovely, reasonably priced, great location in Sultanamet.