Hotels in GRANADA,BARCELONA,SEVILLE AND MADRID

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have come up with a short list and would like any input on the following hotels:
GRANADA: Hotel Los Angeles, Hotel Triunfo, Hotel Alhambra, Hotel Palacio de Santa Ines.
SEVILLE: Hotel Las Casas de la Juderia, Hotel Amadeus,Hotel Fernando III, Hotel Occidental.
BARCELONA: Balmes Hotel, Hotel Ambassador, Hotel Colon, Hotel Raco de Pi.
MADRID: Carlos V, Intur Palacio San Martin, Hotel Atlantico, Tryp Ambassador, High Tech Gran Avenida.
Thanks again to all of you.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Hi Olchard,
This past June we stayed in Hotel Alhambra in Granada and Las Casas de la Juderia in Seville. I highly recommend them both. Hotel Alhambra has a beautiful view of the city and is a beautiful old hotel with excellent proximity to the Alhambra which makes it a little easier to make that 8:30am reservation. Cab rides were cheap into the city. In Seville, we had a great time in Las Casas de la Juderia. It is fantastic adjoinment of old buildings creating quaint courtyards and gardens. Walking distance to many restaurants and shops.

Have a great trip!
Sheila
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:07 PM

olchard,
My favorites on your list:

GRANADA: Alhambra Palace, hands down!
(I'd steer clear of Palacio Santa Ines)

SEVILLE: Casas de la Juderia, Amadeus(Fernando III very old-style,needs refreshing up)

BARCELONA: Balmes
(Colon can get quite pricey, particularly for those cathedral view rooms-Raco is new, friendly,nice but I personally much prefer the Eixample district)

MADRID: Intur Palacio San Martin
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:43 PM

How do you find the driving to the Hotel Casas de la Juderia. WOuld you rather recommend driving or taking a bus frim malaga?

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Driving in Seville generally is...well...difficult. Since I'm such a poor navigator, my husband made me do the driving in the towns while he navigated, and I have to say I've never been more scared than trying to get to our hotel in the historic part of town.

Seville is really really crowded with traffic generally, but driving in the historic part of town you get the added joy of dealing with VERY narrow one-lane, one-way streets which have these big cement stones on either side....I think they only put those there to give me a heart attack!

I swear I only had about a centimeter on either side at times! The worst part was that we went past our hotel by about 1 block and it took us (and I am not making this up) 1 and a half hours to get back around to the hotel...because the streets are so one-way at the wrong time you have to go to the other side of town to be able to turn around and get in the right place again!

Having said all that, it was pretty satisfying to make it through all that and know that I had indeed negotiated those streets without damaging the car!

Although, I would definitely recommend that you plan to park the car in the hotel's parking garage, whatever the price may be, and leave it there for the duration of your stay in Seville. You will definitely NOT need it, once you are in the town...it will take you less time and stress to walk anywhere than to use the car!

Don't miss the cathedral and Giralda there...one of my favorites!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM

We stayed at the Parador de Granada in Granada, and I really didn't find it worth the money. Sure, it was right at the Alhambra, but nothing else was there, so it made it difficult when wanting to see other things in town!

Although I think the person who posted earlier thought you were referring to the Parador when you said the Hotel Alhambra, which is a different hotel. It looked to be in a good location, actually.

The main thing is, if at all possible, be sure to book your alhambra visit online before you go. You can then avoid the line with the 3 hour wait to purchase your tickets and go to the pre-purchase window and pick them up in 5 minutes. We saw many in the other line get dissapointed when they ran out of tickets for the day before they got to the front of it. Pre-book. Pre-book!

There is a website for the alhambra that allows you to pre-book. If you search for my screen name in this forum, I have posted a link to it in one of the spain messages.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:00 PM

As for Madrid, we stayed at the Intur Palacio San Martin. While the room was OK (nothing special), we found the staff to be unhelpful and unfriendly.

The location of the hotel was VERY central, however this made it very difficult to drive to it. It is sort of in a back lane and there were protesters the day we were there, so half the streets were closed off.

Parking for your car is in an underground public garage at the front of the property, and I think it cost about $30/day.

I would reccomend that you try the High Tech or the Carlos V. They both look quite nice and the High Tech is very new...we wanted to stay there, but it was too expensive at the time! The Tryp hotels in Madrid that I saw were pretty crummy looking. I'd rule that one out.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM

If you search Carlos V and Atlantico on this site, you'll find lots of reviews and opinions.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:24 PM
mjs

We stayed at the High Tech Avendia in Madrid last month. The price was good at E70/night for a double room. Hotel location was fine near the central shopping area. Hotel is a renovated old building done in a inexpensive modern fashion. Size of room and bathrooom ok. Beds mediocre in comfort. Rooms with musty smell of chain smokers. Had to buy scented candles. Kept the windows open. Pretty clean. Would not stay there again despite the good price. Would consider it a 2 star + hotel.
Would recommend Las Casas de los Mercaderes in Seville. Nice people at the front desk (Olga)and nice rooms/baths. Better location than the Casas de la Juderia in my opinion as it is close to the Barrio and the main shopping centre of Seville. Prices reasonable.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Since we found the Alhambra to be the most interesting thing in Granada, we decided to stay at one of the two hotels we saw on the Alhambra property next time. One looked cute and cozy, the other larger and luxe. Does anyone know the names of these?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:34 AM

You are correct. There are two hotels right next to the alhambra...or in the complex, rather.

One is the Parador de Granada which can be found on www.parador.es

The other was a cute little pensione which was called "Hotel America". I remember walking past it and thinking, "I wish we were staying there instead of at the parador!" It's so cute, quaint, and probably MUCH cheaper! Here's a link:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...anada_hotels-i

Also, see this person's report on the hotel america. This was my impression of it too, just from walking past!

http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/TripRepor...87&index=3
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM

benderbabe, thank you!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply. Will let you know where we end up staying and what we thought of it.
Regards,