Hotels in Florence and Venice

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Florence and Venice

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Italy in May 2010. We fly to Florence and stay there for four nights. Then we take a train to Venice and spend three nights there. Next, is the cruise to Greece that departs and returns back to Venice. After the cruise, we spend one more night in Venice and are going back home.

I need some advice on hotels. These are the hotels I am thinking of booking:

Florence: Hotel Globus
Venice (3 nights before the cruise): Best Western Hotel - Olimpia
Venice (1 night after the cruise and before the flight home): Courtyard Marriott Venice

I chose these hotels mainly because of their location. Both Globus and Olimpia are close to the train stations, and Olimpia is close to the cruise terminals as well. Courtyard Marriott is close to the airport.

My question is: has anybody stayed in these hotels, and if so, did you like it? Does it make sense to choose your hotels based on their proximity to the train station / cruise terminals? If you have other suggestions, I’d be glad to hear them. We are in $200 – 250 price range.

Thank you.
Irina.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although the Hotel Globus in Florence gets good reviews, you could stay in a more charming/interesting area for your 4-night stay. A taxi ride from, say, the Duomo area to the train station would be short and fairly cheap. Your budget would give you many options.

In Venice, if you were just staying one night before the cruise, the Olimpia looks like a good choice. But for three nights, I'd want to be closer to the sights but still within easy access of the cruise terminal. The La Calcina may be slightly out of your budget range but is often recommended here (including by me), and it's just a few vaporetto stops from Piazzale Roma (close to the Olimpia's location and the cruise terminal).

http://www.lacalcina.com/

What time is your departing flight from the Venice airport? I'd rather get up very early than spend the last night of a vacation in Italy at an airport hotel.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM

We stayed in the Hotel Globus in 2005 and it was fine. There are undoubtedly more charming hotels in more charming areas, as Jean says, but Florence is an easily walkable city and we thought the area was pretty interesting. We were within a couple of blocks of the outdoor market and the great indoor food market and about a ten minute walk (if that) from the Duomo. I don't remember why we chose it but it was clean and well-priced and the service was pleasant.

In Venice we stayed at the very charming Hotel Antiche Figure which is across the Grand Canal from the train station. At that time it was fairly new, I think, and pretty inexpensive but excellent reviews and popularity may have upped the price. It's always on Trip Advisor's top ten list now. It's about a 20 minute vaporetto ride to St. Mark's Square but gee, a 20 minute ride on the Grand Canal isn't too hard to take.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jean. Our airplane leaves at 1 PM, so may be we should stay in Olimpia for the night before the flight? I think I read somewhere that there is a bus that goes from Piazzale Roma to the airport.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Since your plane doesn't leave until afternoon I would definitely not stay at the Courtyard by the airport. There are so many nice places to stay in your price range in Venice and you can enjoy being there rather than in a boring hotel with nothing to do.

The ATVO bus is 3 euro/pp from Piazzale Roma. It is very easy to do and takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the airport.