Reload this Page >

Hotels in Florence & Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Peter

My wife and I are taking our three sons -- ages 7, 10 and 13 -- to northern Italy the last two weeks of April. We will be spending 8 days at Riva del Garda where the two older boys will be sailing. We are looking for day trips from there, then it's off to Florence for three days and Venice for a day and a half. Any recommendations for centrally-located four-star hotels ($300/night +/-) are greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Restaurants and non-touristy things do are also appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 09:17 PM
Ann

2 years ago we visited Venice in February (right in the middle of Carnival!!) and stayed at Hotel Metropole (Top class hotel). Cost approx $250/night, right on the Grand Canal, and a few steps away from Saint Mark's Square. I guess they all run pretty expensive around that area. They have a website and I made the bookings over the phone. Good luck on your trip there. <BR> We fell in love with Venice as soon as the Vaporetto putt-putted off to the city from the train staion! Try to take in the small opera thats played out there, the hall is decked in gorgeous, grand frescoes and paintings.

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Mary

Peter: <BR>My husband and I didn't take our family to Italy, but I did note a few things I thought our grandson would like to do. <BR>Your boys might enjoy the Naval museum in Venice. While I wasn't very interested, my husband had a grand time there! The first two floors are mostly "modern" war ships and stories, but on the upper floors are models of ancient Venitian (sp) ships. Of course, the Doge's Palace is possibly also a good choice for boys as the tour includes a walk across the Bridge of Sighs. <BR>In Florence, the Boboli gardens have a self-guided children's tour which looked fun to me. There's some great spots there for boys to play and run around.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 12:10 AM
Anna

We stayed at the Londra Palace in Venice and loved it. Our room had a beautiful lagoon view and a jacuzzi. The staff counld not have been more friendly. The location could not have been better (a few doors from the Danielli / 3 minutes walk from St. Marks Square). You can check it out on slh.com

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 10:36 AM
peter

Thank you all for your recommendations. In Venice we are trying to get rooms at the Metropole. In Florence we are looking at the Bernini Palce, but I'[ve heard good things abut the Bruneleschi [sic]. <BR> <BR>Peter

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Neil

Many years ago we stayed at a fantastic Pensione in Florence called Mona Lisa. We walked to the city center from there. Not sure of current prices but worth a look. <BR> <BR>Neil

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Maurice

Re: Florence <BR>We have visited Florence at least 15 times and have always stayed at the Lungarno. It is on the "otherside" of the Arno tucked away from the maddening crowds with rooms directly overlooking the Arno. Florence is our favorite city <BR>Enjoy!

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Amy & Roger

Hotel Lungarno is the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in some nice places! It is quiet and elegant and we will stay there again. Everything is within walking distance. The service is impeccable. It is 100 feet from the Ponte Vecchio, the only bridge the Nazi's didn't destroy in WWII.