Hotels in Florence &Venice?

Jul 24th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Florence &Venice?

We are going over for our 1st time for the first 2 weeks in Oct. We will have 2 adults to a room and are looking for something quaint, quiet (if possible) and reasonable (under $200?).
Also, should we take the train from Florence to Venice or drive? (We know not to drive in Florence itself....made that mistake in Seville). Should we have a car in Venice for day trips? We will be there a week.
Thank you all,
Patty
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Hotel Casci (www.hotecasci.com)in FLorence is a delightful, little, 2* hotel in Florence that is within your budget.

We stayed in Hotel FLora (www.hotelflora.it) in Venice. This is a very charming, quiet, 3* hotel near San Marco. Although I think the rate is more than your budget. In general Venice is pricier than Florence.
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM

I just want to add that both of these hotels are frequently mentioned here. You can search on their names to find more comments.
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM

It doesn't sound like you need a car. Day trips from Venezia are easily accomplished by train (Verona, Padova) or boat (the lagoon islands). The only exception is the touring the Palladian villas of Vincenza if you've a special interest in that, but you can get a bus tour.

So take the train to Firenze. If you want to see the Tuscan countryside, it makes sense to rent a car after spending a few days in Firenze (and staying in a countryside location for the remainder of your Tuscan stay). However, if you want to concentrate on great art and archietecture, Siena and Pisa are reachable from Firenze by train and San Gimigiano is reachable by bus.

Jul 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I like Pensione La Calcina, also often mentioned here and in your price range. I would travel only by train, not rent a car (just my opinion and experience).
Jul 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM

took the train from florence to venice a couple of years ago and it was seemless. from the train station we took a water taxi to the Hotel Flora where we stayed for 4 days. It was a great little hotel, very close to San Marco. I have recommended it to friends who have also stayed there and had good experiences.
Jul 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM

You'll have no problem finding several places in Venice that fit your criteria. And I submit that Cannaregio is a lovely, lively, very interesting area to stay-with wonderful local shops and restaurants specializing in Venetian specialities.

You can check any of these out on tripadvisor.com, and they are all under $200/double a night:

Ca' Gottardi-by Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop
Ca' Dogaressa-Fondamenta di Cannaregio
Hotel Abbazia-Canneregio-5 minutes from the train station-lovely little quiet oasis, with a terrace in back-part of it was formerly a monastery
Jul 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM

sorry-that should say "specializing in Venetian cuisine"- didn't read that through!