Hotels in Barcelona/Costa Brava

Jun 16th, 2000, 08:39 AM
Leslee

Hotels in Barcelona/Costa Brava

I have a couple hotel reservations and am trying to choose the best. For Barcelona, it's between Hotel Claris and the Majestic. Does anyone have experience with either, or room suggestions? As for Costa Brava, we're considering Hotel Aiguablava. Thanks in advance. There seems to be lots of helpful feedback on this forum... and hopefully this posts to the right place this time -- oops!

Jun 16th, 2000, 09:09 PM
michele

Leslee,
I realize this is not first hand advice, but I have read and heard nothing but praise for the Claris and have heard nothing about the Majestic.
As for the Costa Brava, have you looked into the Hostal de la Gavina in S'agaro? It's about the most elegant place I have ever stayed. The hotel is fille with antiques, not replicas, has an extremely knowledgeable staff, and offers an old world charm that is rare these days. It is also a bit above the developed areas of the town and you can walk the seapath and still feel away from it all. I would look into it.

Michele
PS If you haven't done so, so a search as there is a lot of good information from people who are far more informed than I on you topic!

Jun 16th, 2000, 09:42 PM
Leslee

Hi Michelle,
Thanks so much for the info. I've got some books and will look into your suggestion. The more I read, the better the Claris sounds - I'll hold onto that reserv. Thanks for your feedback. Also, I've recently come to realize what a "rookie" I am on this forum. I don't know why this message didn't post to "Spain" as topic??? Got any ideas??? Thanks again!

Jun 17th, 2000, 08:23 AM
michele

Leslee,
I am no techno pro, but when I am looking for a specific subject I go to the TEXT box and type in "Spain and hotels or Costa Brava and hotels" and then in the SEARCH/TOPIC box I click on Spain. When you post an inquiry , it just appears in chronological order. The request for a topic is for searches ( I guess). Usually, I get great results using the above basic method. You can also go back to the main page and click on HOSTED FORUMS and see if there are any on Spain ( I am sure there are).

I read in my Penelope Casas UNDISCOVERED SPAIN a brief description of your choices. She prefers the Claris,but gives the Majestic a good , if not glowing rating and likes the Aiguablava area a great deal. She loves the Gavina, but thinks S'agaro is overdeveloped. She's pretty reliable, so consider her advice.
If you don't stay at the Gavina, go for a stroll or cocktail. You'll be glad you did.

Michele

Jun 17th, 2000, 03:38 PM
Leslee

Michelle,
Re-visited the post a message. Got boxes as follows: Name (done); Email (done); Topic (this is where I seem to be running into a problem because the first time I posted, I entered Spain as the topic and my message ended up in the Spain topic area of the forum- as opposed to the Europe area. The second time I entered Spain as my topic it ended up in the Europe forum and I can't seem to get a message to post to the Spain "board" again. The rest of the boxes: Message title (Hotel choices in Barcelona/Costa Brava) and then the text box with my message.?????? Don't know wassup? Maybe someone else will read these and belly up to the "help a rookie" plate. (Wishful thinking.) I'll keep trying - and looking like a goofball in the meantime I imagine.
Leslee

Jun 18th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Maribel

Hi Leslie, Hi Michele,
I can give you a first hand highly enthusiastic recommendation for Hotel Aiguablava. We loved it and plan to return, again and again. It´s been in the same family for yrs, is impeccably maintained, has a wonderful location on a tiny little pine covered cove, looking across to the Parador (too sterile, modern decor for my taste) and the service couldn´t be nicer or more welcoming, helpful. It has a very devote repeat clientele of wealthy Catalan families who summer there yr. after yr. It´s well located to tour the lovely Baix Emporda, Catalunya´s answer to Tuscany. Don´t forget to visit the little beaches of Sa Tuna, Aiguafreda, Tamariu, Calella,Llanfranc, Sa Riera (all close together) and the beautifully restored medieval village of Pals and the more rustic but lovely Peratallada. This area has not fallen victim to condo-mania, and you´ll see the gorgeous villas and country 17th c farmhouses that have been restored by the Catalonian elite-no ugly concrete highrises here.
As for the Claris versus Majestic, the Claris is the tops! One of the 3 top hotels in Barcelona. Majestic is also fine with a great location, too on Passeig de Gracia, but the Claris is certainly a notch above.

Jun 18th, 2000, 04:52 PM
merriem

THE CLARIS!!!!! We stayed there one year ago, and it was just great. It is very different from what you might expect in decor....rather Egyptian, and they have a beautiful museum on the second floor of artifacts. The breakfast is out of this world, and we liked the dining room for dinner. The menu us one price including wine. Great location.......no complaints. Wonderful hotel. E-mail me if you have any other questions.

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:43 AM
Leslee

Thanks everyone. Keeping the Claris reserv. Made a reserv. @ Hotel Aiguablava. Printed messages to take with - thanks again.